Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So its a forward with size. Im ok with while preferring a D man. Still has lotsa work but who doesnt. Wonder if they got a 2 year commitment from him…. Now this means he needs to find at least 1 big aggressive, older D man. Yes Konner fits that bill perfectly! Im pretty sure hed love to play at home this year. Do we still need another guy back there as well to clear the net?
Have to clear the front of net out.
Some d they have now aren't physical at all.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So its a forward with size. Im ok with while preferring a D man. Still has lotsa work but who doesnt. Wonder if they got a 2 year commitment from him…. Now this means he needs to find at least 1 big aggressive, older D man. Yes Konner fits that bill perfectly! Im pretty sure hed love to play at home this year. Do we still need another guy back there as well to clear the net?

I'm hoping for KSmith but it's a matter of what happens with Anaheim.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well interesting pick for sure. Not the D I was hoping for but with that size maybe he can come back and clear the net for the D, lol.

Not going to judge how good of pick this was until Christmas or so. Tough ask to come to a strange world and play a different brand of hockey on a smaller rink. Hope he adapts well.

I do always chuckle when I see other posters on other threads claiming it was a great draft for their team. There is no way to no how successful the draft was until at least mid year when the pick has had a chance to prove themselves. Given the opportunity I'm sure most will figure it out and be fine.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
So, take this for what its worth, total grain of salt from an Owen Sound fan who sat behind the Attack bench for the better part of the past 2 years.

For Greg Walters to suggest he would never verbally abused a player is an absolute joke. I've heard him say things to players that I would never say to my word enemy. I've seen him use derogatory comments, sexual orientation comments (yes, the one that starts with F), I've seen him call kids other comments in that light. I've heard him make a comment about where a player lives, anything and everything.

You don't have a massive verbal confrontation with a trainer on a whim, its part of a pattern of events.

Again, this is just from what I've personally heard sitting behind the bench, perhaps he has changed and I'm all for second chances, I'm not the cancel culture type at all, but he held a lot of kids down and did not help them in the slightest, our 06 players got 4/5 minutes a night.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Well interesting pick for sure. Not the D I was hoping for but with that size maybe he can come back and clear the net for the D, lol.

Not going to judge how good of pick this was until Christmas or so. Tough ask to come to a strange world and play a different brand of hockey on a smaller rink. Hope he adapts well.

I do always chuckle when I see other posters on other threads claiming it was a great draft for their team. There is no way to no how successful the draft was until at least mid year when the pick has had a chance to prove themselves. Given the opportunity I'm sure most will figure it out and be fine.
The fact that Protas has played 1 year in North America with Des Moines already with North American rinks size wise,can speak English, his brother plays for Washington and has been in North America for a few years makes me think his adjustment will be quicker then a player 1st time in North America combined with language skills that you alluded to which I don't disagree with,just think his situation is different.

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
So, take this for what its worth, total grain of salt from an Owen Sound fan who sat behind the Attack bench for the better part of the past 2 years.

For Greg Walters to suggest he would never verbally abused a player is an absolute joke. I've heard him say things to players that I would never say to my word enemy. I've seen him use derogatory comments, sexual orientation comments (yes, the one that starts with F), I've seen him call kids other comments in that light. I've heard him make a comment about where a player lives, anything and everything.

You don't have a massive verbal confrontation with a trainer on a whim, its part of a pattern of events.

Again, this is just from what I've personally heard sitting behind the bench, perhaps he has changed and I'm all for second chances, I'm not the cancel culture type at all, but he held a lot of kids down and did not help them in the slightest, our 06 players got 4/5 minutes a night.
As bad as all that is, I'd be more concerned with his off ice habits personally. Especially in light of all the Hockey Canada issues. I hope the Windsor PR folks are well compensated if this thing goes sideways. I wouldn't have touched him with somebody else's 100 foot pole.

Reactions: Teflon

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
The Maple Leafs have moved their ECHL hockey team from Newfoundland to…….wait for it…..🎼baby did you ever wonder, wonder whatever-became of me? I’m livin on the air in Cincinnati. Cincinnati WKRP 🎼

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
As bad as all that is, I'd be more concerned with his off ice habits personally. Especially in light of all the Hockey Canada issues. I hope the Windsor PR folks are well compensated if this thing goes sideways. I wouldn't have touched him with somebody else's 100 foot pole.
Windsor needs a better pr people

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
So you're telling me that our players are so big they block out the sun and our coach is an abusive old schooler who expects them to be tough? I'm absolutely delighted, and the only people upset about this are the people I would expect to be upset with this: crusties and opposing fans. That's all the proof I need that Bowler is doing a good job this offseason, the crusties are upset about Bowler making them look stupid yet again, and the opposing fans know their team is going to pound town when they play Windsor so they are acting morally superior about the coaching hire. Good times!

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
FB_IMG_1720053688657.jpg
Soda Pop Bros in Lasalle. Limited edition

Reactions: windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Five are u drinking the kool aid again lmao. Im glad some opinions carry do much weight…. Just to be clear im neither crusty nor an opposing fan.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Seems to me that Protas might be a project and not quite the quality of player expected from a 3rd overall pick. Big gap between he and Griden and seems less than just a consolation pick. Time will tell. Not a confidence booster when you read “lumbering”, heavy boots, lacks advantage of speed.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
So you're telling me that our players are so big they block out the sun and our coach is an abusive old schooler who expects them to be tough? I'm absolutely delighted, and the only people upset about this are the people I would expect to be upset with this: crusties and opposing fans. That's all the proof I need that Bowler is doing a good job this offseason, the crusties are upset about Bowler making them look stupid yet again, and the opposing fans know their team is going to pound town when they play Windsor so they are acting morally superior about the coaching hire. Good times!
Well, he also made you dissapear for two playoffs and a season, so there’s that on his resume too.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Seems to me that Protas might be a project and not quite the quality of player expected from a 3rd overall pick. Big gap between he and Griden and seems less than just a consolation pick. Time will tell. Not a confidence booster when you read “lumbering”, heavy boots, lacks advantage of speed.
Washington must of thought otherwise drafting Protas in the 3rd,not 18 for a couple of weeks yet,51 points on the 3rd worst team in the USHL is pretty good considering 1st year player leaving home,learning English,and while he has things to work on,I see potential not project,plus the fact his brother is with Washington now,should spur him on imo.
Time will tell.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
NHL teams draft projects with frequency.

Or shall I say frequently

Not saying it won’t work out but at #3 should be a slam dunk player

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
He produced in the USHL, seems to have transitioned well to NA hockey, and Washington likes him. I don't care if he's slow compared to Spellacy. If he produces like he has in the past, and develops into the NHL player Washington thinks he can be, then it'll be good.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
He must project to have good potential. Young, maybe Washington had talks with Bowler and said maybe 2 years OHL would be good at his age. Would be a factor imo.
Plus he was third highest scoring rookie in the USHL last year,2nd highest point guy on his team,and a +6 in the plus minus department not bad considering his team missed the playoffs.No question with Bowler and Evola in Vegas for the draft in person discussions with the Capitals I am sure occurred.

Reactions: Cherrydon and OHLTG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad