The Oilers are an old team

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
I just visited capfriendly (still up) and noticed, that the Oilers are an very old team, at least at the forward position. Their youngest forwards are pretty much McDavid and Draisaitl, who are in their late twenties.
Beside, they have Dylan Holloway and now Savoie, who both might not play a lot or make an impact yet.
Their best defense D-Man Ekholm is 34 and Nurse is not getting better at 29.
Beside Bouchard and Broberg, all their D-Man are around 30 as well

I was just wondering, with so many forwards way beyond their 30 birthday, if the Oilers are not to old to win the cup.
I always thought a good mix of elite forwards not older than 30 and good players around 25 to 30 are good recipe to win the cup. Maybe one or two older veterans.

I am thinking, they will not be fast enough or run out of gas because of their age.

Looking back, has their ever been a team to win the cup with such an old group?

Last edited:

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Circuit Circus
  1. 2001-02 Detroit Red Wings (51-17-10-4, 116 pts.) -
    Average Age: 30 years, 5 months, 1 days
    Notable Player(s): Brett Hull (37), Nicklas Lidstrom (31)
  2. 2007-08 Detroit Red Wings (54-21-7, 115 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 9 months, 23 days
    Notable Player(s): Nicklas Lidstrom (37), Pavel Datsyuk (29)
  3. 1997-98 Detroit Red Wings (44-23-15, 103 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 6 months, 10 days
    Notable Player(s): Steve Yzerman (32), Nicklas Lidstrom (27)
  4. 2002-03 New Jersey Devils (46-20-10-6, 108 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 0 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Martin Broduer (30), Patrik Elias (26)
  5. 1966-67 Toronto Maple Leafs (32-27-11, 75 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 11 months, 26 days
    Notable Player(s): Terry Sawchuk (37), Frank Mahovlich (28)
  6. 1998-99 Dallas Stars (51-19-12, 114 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 10 months, 29 days
    Notable Player(s): Brett Hull (34), Mike Modano (28)
  7. 1963-64 Toronto Maple Leafs (33-25-12, 78 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 10 months, 2 days
    Notable Player(s): Frank Mahovlich (25)
  8. 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes (52-22-8, 112 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 5 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Rod Brind'Amour (35), Eric Staal (21)
  9. 1996-97 Detroit Red Wings (38-26-18, 94 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 4 months, 20 days
    Notable Player(s): Steve Yzerman (31), Nicklas Lidstrom (26)
  10. 1968-69 Montreal Canadians (46-19-11, 103 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 3 months, 13 days
    Notable Player(s): Jean Beliveau (37)

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Teams of 25 year olds don’t win cups
No, but 26 year olds do :naughty:

IMG_2231.jpeg

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Their age will go up in a year as well, when Draisatl leaves to go to a contender.

Earlier this week, one of Draisaitl's agents, Jiri Poner, spoke with German outlet Eishockey NEWS, where he said “very confident that there will be an agreement with Edmonton in the end that both sides will be happy with.”

I wouldn't bet your Gaudreau jersey on that.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011

Earlier this week, one of Draisaitl's agents, Jiri Poner, spoke with German outlet Eishockey NEWS, where he said “very confident that there will be an agreement with Edmonton in the end that both sides will be happy with.”

I wouldn't bet your Gaudreau jersey on that.
We heard the same thing from Gaudreau. It's just a matter of time.

Star players do not want to play for a Canadian team. When they could just go play somewhere warm and with less aggressive media.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We heard the same thing from Gaudreau. It's just a matter of time.

Star players do not want to play for a Canadian team. When they could just go play somewhere warm and with less aggressive media.

If Gaudreau had a McDavid to play with he'd still be in Canada, or if the Flames had made a Cup Final, which obviously they didn't come close to doing.

His factor was his US born wife too, not an issue for Connor or Leon.

villacco

Dec 21, 2013
Villach
  1. 2001-02 Detroit Red Wings (51-17-10-4, 116 pts.) -
    Average Age: 30 years, 5 months, 1 days
    Notable Player(s): Brett Hull (37), Nicklas Lidstrom (31)
  2. 2007-08 Detroit Red Wings (54-21-7, 115 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 9 months, 23 days
    Notable Player(s): Nicklas Lidstrom (37), Pavel Datsyuk (29)
  3. 1997-98 Detroit Red Wings (44-23-15, 103 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 6 months, 10 days
    Notable Player(s): Steve Yzerman (32), Nicklas Lidstrom (27)
  4. 2002-03 New Jersey Devils (46-20-10-6, 108 pts.) -
    Average Age: 29 years, 0 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Martin Broduer (30), Patrik Elias (26)
  5. 1966-67 Toronto Maple Leafs (32-27-11, 75 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 11 months, 26 days
    Notable Player(s): Terry Sawchuk (37), Frank Mahovlich (28)
  6. 1998-99 Dallas Stars (51-19-12, 114 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 10 months, 29 days
    Notable Player(s): Brett Hull (34), Mike Modano (28)
  7. 1963-64 Toronto Maple Leafs (33-25-12, 78 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 10 months, 2 days
    Notable Player(s): Frank Mahovlich (25)
  8. 2005-06 Carolina Hurricanes (52-22-8, 112 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 5 months, 6 days
    Notable Player(s): Rod Brind'Amour (35), Eric Staal (21)
  9. 1996-97 Detroit Red Wings (38-26-18, 94 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 4 months, 20 days
    Notable Player(s): Steve Yzerman (31), Nicklas Lidstrom (26)
  10. 1968-69 Montreal Canadians (46-19-11, 103 pts.) -
    Average Age: 28 years, 3 months, 13 days
    Notable Player(s): Jean Beliveau (37)

So, basically no team since the lock out 2005. The game is much faster now. It is a younger guys game now.

Reactions: JKG33

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
I just visited capfriendly (still up) and noticed, that the Oilers are an very old team, at least at the forward position. Their youngest forwards are pretty much McDavid and Draisaitl, who are in their late twenties.
Beside, they have Dylan Holloway and now Savoie, who both might not play a lot or make an impact yet.

I was just wondering, with so many forwards way beyond their 30 birthday, if the Oilers are not to old to win the cup.
I always thought a good mix of elite forwards not older than 30 and good players around 25 to 30 are good recipe to win the cup. Maybe one or two older veterans.

I am thinking, they will not be fast enough or run out of gas because of their age.

What's your definition of "way beyond 30"? because looking at the Oilers roster there sure as heck aren't many forwards I would consider way beyond 30. Perry and Ryan, sure, Henrique as well, and that's it. The first two are 4th line players or extra forwards, so hardly essential.

Edmonton's roster as a whole is certainly anything but young, but outside of Ekholm no core player is reaching an age where age could become an issue (yet). The average age of the whole team is rather irrelevant, what matters is your core and whether your depth is still doing well enough.

Seeing how they just made it to game 7 of the finals with a similar roster to the one they have now, there is zero reason to assume that such a team could not win the Cup.
There is no formula to winning the Cup, plenty of different paths lead to that goal. What it takes is peak shape and few injuries at just the right moment, quite a bit of luck, and not running into a team that is a really bad fit for you. Plenty of times people have looked at a champion, declared that's the path to win, only for an entirely different concept to win the next time around. Whatever approach you take, it needs to work for your team. It doesn't matter one bit whether that concept has worked for anyone else, what matters is that you build to your strengths.

forever1922

Jul 8, 2022
Naantali, Finland
Seeing how they just made it to game 7 of the finals with a similar roster to the one they have now, there is zero reason to assume that such a team could not win the Cup.
There is no formula to winning the Cup, plenty of different paths lead to that goal. What it takes is peak shape and few injuries at just the right moment, quite a bit of luck, and not running into a team that is a really bad fit for you. Plenty of times people have looked at a champion, declared that's the path to win, only for an entirely different concept to win the next time around. Whatever approach you take, it needs to work for your team. It doesn't matter one bit whether that concept has worked for anyone else, what matters is that you build to your strengths.
While that's true. Oilers average age was already past 30 this year (30,6 yrs at the time of cup finals) and obviously, bar changes, 31,6 next year.

That 31,6 yrs is about 4 years older than past cup winners for at least 16 years as another post showed in this thread, and in fact would make them by far the oldest cup winner since 1927(per reddit) by over a year.

Shaving the oldest players Perry and Ryan reduces the average age from 30,8 currently to 30,1 so there goes that argument.

It is a completely valid concern. Oilers should look to get younger but they will need to burn up any futures at this point as there will be lofty expectations going forward.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018

Have you ever seen the teams from the 50s and 60s? Every team had at least 4 guys on it who looked like Howard Cosell and at least a couple who played wearing Glasses. Those dudes came out at birth looking like they had responsibilities and a family of their own to support.

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
I don't think they have to worry so long as McDavid and Draisaitl aren't themselves up there in age. Evan Bouchard is also still 24. Ekholm is the only key piece that is getting up there, I think. Statistics aren't set in stone.

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
While that's true. Oilers average age was already past 30 this year (30,6 yrs at the time of cup finals) and obviously, bar changes, 31,6 next year.

That 31,6 yrs is about 4 years older than past cup winners for at least 16 years as another post showed in this thread, and in fact would make them by far the oldest cup winner since 1927(per reddit) by over a year.

Shaving the oldest players Perry and Ryan reduces the average age from 30,8 currently to 30,1 so there goes that argument.

It is a completely valid concern. Oilers should look to get younger but they will need to burn up any futures at this point as there will be lofty expectations going forward.
I really think the fact that cup teams skew younger is mostly because it's much easier building elite teams with contributions from good-great players on ELCs (and until recently bridge deals). So Edmonton has kind of built a contender the hard way with lots of veterans, but given that they do have a contending team, I don't expect age to do them in. Not saying it's not a concern at all, but they'll feel the downside of having an older team much more strongly off the ice when Leon and McDavid need new deals and they'll feel the cap squeeze.

I really think the fact that cup teams skew younger is mostly because it's much easier building elite teams with contributions from good-great players on ELCs (and until recently bridge deals). So Edmonton has kind of built a contender the hard way with lots of veterans, but given that they do have a contending team, I don't expect age to do them in. Not saying it's not a concern at all, but they'll feel the downside of having an older team much more strongly off the ice when Leon and McDavid need new deals and they'll feel the cap squeeze.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln

Oilers are one of the fastest teams in the league, and their best players aside from Ekholm are under 30

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad