GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 9 vs Argentina in the SF

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Didn't watch, but Canada seems like they showed well against, possibly, the best team in the world. No shame in a loss like that.

Soccer Canada is really starting put something together.
Watched the last few minutes. Sounds like some Argentinian players were flopping around like fish and the refs were corrupt. Glad I don't take this sport too seriously otherwise I'd be pissed.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Amazing job by our boys here, getting into Copa America was a feat in itself. Extremely proud of the men here.

Let's make sure to bring some energy for Canada Women's for the Olympics. Those women are unreal and are going to bring home the gold.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
That was Men vs Boys out there
Good experience for Canada but got a lesson today
The flopping and diving is worse than ever in soccer..borderline unwatchable
Not a soccer fan, but tried to watch the game for around 10 minutes. Unwatchable due to the constant flopping. I will never understand the excitement you guys get from watching this. ;)

How is that guy that embellished even allowed to play another game in his life? His own fans should kick the crap out of him.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Davies was fine, you can’t expect him to make a huge offensive impact when he has defensive responsibilities playing LB. If Adekugbe was healthy Davies would’ve played up front.

David is the one you should be disappointed with. Plays dying at his feet every time. Might’ve been different with Tajon healthy too.

Still need to get better in all areas.

Reactions: Oilhawks

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Davies was fine, you can’t expect him to make a huge offensive impact when he has defensive responsibilities playing LB. If Adekugbe was healthy Davies would’ve played up front.

David is the one you should be disappointed with. Plays dying at his feet every time. Might’ve been different with Tajon healthy too.

Abit too big of a stage for him just now.

Very disappointing all the way around. When the refs can’t get a throw in correct they need to start firing them.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Learning as I go….in hockey, you have guys playing and other guys waiting their turn ( called depth).
In soccer, you have guys playing and guys waiting on the sideline called pall-bearers.
I dont watch it much either unless I'm reading a book or at the grocery time at same time. Last night I watched one scoring chance take 14 minutes.

Reactions: Gordy Elbows

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Hellva showing this tournament. Beating Argentina was always going to be a massive long shot.

But man, did CONMEBOL show their ass tonight. That ref probably had the most shocking performance of any ref in any major competition. I thought NHL officiating was bad, but holy f*** that was 1000x worse. Idiot savant minus the savant.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Hellva showing this tournament. Beating Argentina was always going to be a massive long shot.

But man, did CONMEBOL show their ass tonight. That ref probably had the most shocking performance of any ref in any major competition. I thought NHL officiating was bad, but holy f*** that was 1000x worse. Idiot savant minus the savant.

It really feels like CONMEBOL wants invitees to just feel happy to be there and expect nothing more, with assurances by totally garbage biased reffing.

OfCorsiDid

Time is a flat circle.
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
How are people still surprised at the diving in soccer? It's a core part of the game and the main reason I don't even watch.

I feel bad because of this. I mean it's not even Canada's fault. They've put up a quality side and engage with that aspect very minimally and are gonna get punished as a result of this mind set.

It's not your fault, the team's fault, or even the association's fault. If a few players decide to act like idiots and turn a historic game into whatever the f*** that was, casual fans won't watch.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton

Gary just got a boner folks

Its this level of acting that is ridiculous, I just don’t understand how they put up with it, every foul doesn’t need a guy rolling around, it really is a part of the game but it’s really embarrassing.

I’ve been playing soccer since I was 4, and my mom would’ve beat me if I pulled that crap, literally.

I’ve dove twice in my life, down 11-0 and I dropped inside the box, scored the penalty to ruin the shutout haha and once it a big game their best player took me out at the ankles on a slide but I acted like he snapped them clean off, I could’ve got up with some pain from the studs but nothing a man can’t handle, straight red put them down a man for the game.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
giphy.gif

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Southgate bumbles his way to back to back Euros finals appearances. We live in a simulation

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

Davies and David were crap. Both were awful. So bad that Kone by comparison playing with some verve and energy looked miles better. Seems like some players don't bring their all to Canada.

What a tournament. We went further than Brazil, US, Mexico.

Draws have a lot to do with who advances. Plus Canada was up a man for almost two complete matches seeing opponents red carded in successive games. Even at that bad we barely got through those. Canada has had the kind of extreme luck and fortune that makes one wonder if FIFA is giving us some favors with the WC coming up.

Despite the team advancing to where they did I can't say the play was all that great. Seems like since the last WC some of the juice got knocked out of the Canadian club.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Davies and David were crap. Both were awful. So bad that Kone by comparison playing with some

Draws have a lot to do with who advances. Plus Canada was up a man for almost two complete matches seeing opponents red carded in successive games. Even at that bad we barely got through those. Canada has had the kind of extreme luck and fortune that makes one wonder if FIFA is giving us some favors with the WC coming up.

Despite the team advancing to where they did I can't say the play was all that great. Seems like since the last WC some of the juice got knocked out of the Canadian club.
Kinda chuckle at this. Completely ignoring corrupt reffing.
But you do you. So obsessed with being right about the incompetence of Canada you double down. And double down. And double down.
And look silly in the process

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad