Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So as a few of us predicted 2 players drafted thats it. A number of players slid because of the state this team was in. Im dumbfounded BB has a job. Im further shocked how many quickly signed here this year. Great draft on paper but true ratings will come. How so many of you can continue to stick up for him is beyond me. Is ownership really ok with it all?!?! Is he here because hes to involved to replace, are they paying attention and listening to those insiders that know him…

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So as a few of us predicted 2 players drafted thats it. A number of players slid because of the state this team was in. Im dumbfounded BB has a job. Im further shocked how many quickly signed here this year. Great draft on paper but true ratings will come. How so many of you can continue to stick up for him is beyond me. Is ownership really ok with it all?!?! Is he here because hes to involved to replace, are they paying attention and listening to those insiders that know him…
No question Cole Davis should have been drafted somewhere in the draft,Greentree and Spellacy excellent selections by Bowler 2 years ago and in this year's draft, they did develop here and Davis was a rookie who played well despite little training camp and all of exhibition season missed, I have zero problem with the 06 players drafted by Bowler,in fact you may not known this but despite Windsor picking late on all the 06 selections they had the most points 238 of any team in the OHL who drafted 06 players 2 years ago, doesn't include traded for 06 players like Dickinson for London,or Martone who Sarnia traded to ,etc.
Toss in this year's draft that most people I have spoken to was an excellent day and with 6 of them signed already,only 3 were signed last year,our 1st Nesbitt,plus 5th and 6th rounders Manzo and Lavigne,and I would not be shocked that 2 or 3 from this past draft will make this team eventually as well,1 forward and 2 or 3 D imo.
Euro draft to come will be interesting.
I am excited about team's future this coming season,more so the following season, full draft board for the most part,3-2nds for next year's draft.
For me short term pain will equal long term gain.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Davis should have been picked, at least in the later rounds. Woodall has the talent to get picked next year should he stay healthy and keep on the trajectory. Cristoforo needs work and there's not a person here (or anywhere) that'll deny that. IF he can figure it out, a team will take a chance on him. Eichler has potential but, again, needs work and that's as much his own doing as the teams. It's not the end of the world that only two got chosen. Now you've got four players with a chip on their shoulder heading into what should be a promising season. Use that as motivation and let's get the rest of the off-season going.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Davis should have been picked, at least in the later rounds. Woodall has the talent to get picked next year should he stay healthy and keep on the trajectory. Cristoforo needs work and there's not a person here (or anywhere) that'll deny that. IF he can figure it out, a team will take a chance on him. Eichler has potential but, again, needs work and that's as much his own doing as the teams. It's not the end of the world that only two got chosen. Now you've got four players with a chip on their shoulder heading into what should be a promising season. Use that as motivation and let's get the rest of the off-season going.
Cole Davis who was 6th in rookie scoring last year has been invited to the LA Kings development camp,according to Jim Parker at the Windsor Star.
Not surprised as mentioned by many should have been drafted.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
No question Cole Davis should have been drafted somewhere in the draft,Greentree and Spellacy excellent selections by Bowler 2 years ago and in this year's draft, they did develop here and Davis was a rookie who played well despite little training camp and all of exhibition season missed, I have zero problem with the 06 players drafted by Bowler,in fact you may not known this but despite Windsor picking late on all the 06 selections they had the most points 238 of any team in the OHL who drafted 06 players 2 years ago, doesn't include traded for 06 players like Dickinson for London,or Martone who Sarnia traded to ,etc.
Toss in this year's draft that most people I have spoken to was an excellent day and with 6 of them signed already,only 3 were signed last year,our 1st Nesbitt,plus 5th and 6th rounders Manzo and Lavigne,and I would not be shocked that 2 or 3 from this past draft will make this team eventually as well,1 forward and 2 or 3 D imo.
Euro draft to come will be interesting.
I am excited about team's future this coming season,more so the following season, full draft board for the most part,3-2nds for next year's draft.
For me short term pain will equal long term gain.
remember when game winning goals were the best way to judge the best rookies and HL11 said points didn’t matter?

Cole Davis who was 6th in rookie scoring last year has been invited to the LA Kings development camp,according to Jim Parker at the Windsor Star.
Not surprised as mentioned by many should have been drafted.
Ontario scout best friends with the dad

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
A strong front office and coaching make a huge difference!!! A GM who has pro relationships is a huge asset as well! We can debate all day long but the proof is in how your players are viewed. Ownership is doing this franchise a major disservice by allowing BB to continue. Imho if tomorrow goes as expected theres going to be a lot of questions raised and thats going to become the topic. Once again taking eyes off the players and focusing them on a staff with baggage!!! Bad look imho.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A strong front office and coaching make a huge difference!!! A GM who has pro relationships is a huge asset as well! We can debate all day long but the proof is in how your players are viewed. Ownership is doing this franchise a major disservice by allowing BB to continue. Imho if tomorrow goes as expected theres going to be a lot of questions raised and thats going to become the topic. Once again taking eyes off the players and focusing them on a staff with baggage!!! Bad look imho.
I am assuming you meant Wednesday not tomorrow for the Euro draft which will be at 11am.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
32 NHL GMs>hockeylegend11
Can't believe Clattenburg was picked instead of Davis or at all to be honest would have gone through the draft imo,especially an 05 born over Davis and even Ryan Abraham to be honest and myself I would taken Davis instead of Aspinall,though admittedly he has upside,and with Davis missing all but 1 practice at camp and exhibition because of having his appendix removed is even more puzzling, fortunately LA reached out after the draft and invited Davis to prospect camp smart move,especially knowing he has played with 1st rounder of LA Liam Greentree should help him.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Can't believe Clattenburg was picked instead of Davis or at all to be honest would have gone through the draft imo,especially an 05 born over Davis and even Ryan Abraham to be honest and myself I would taken Davis instead of Aspinall,though admittedly he has upside,and with Davis missing all but 1 practice at camp and exhibition because of having his appendix removed is even more puzzling, fortunately LA reached out after the draft and invited Davis to prospect camp smart move,especially knowing he has played with 1st rounder of LA Liam Greentree should help him.
Is that a biast opinion..

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
nhl teams don’t care about small soft OHL skill. Davis is a nice player but it’s all about size and snarl now

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Im hearing tomorrow is a coach announcement.

Tuesday 2pm.

As far as the draft goes - not every kid that gets picked will do well, just like not every kid who isn't picked will not make it eventually. Yes, teams miss talent. For the kids who are undrafted, go out, take the invites, and show them your talents.

Congrats to Cole for getting an LA camp invite. Make the most of it, come back to Windsor, and do your thing.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Tuesday 2pm.

As far as the draft goes - not every kid that gets picked will do well, just like not every kid who isn't picked will not make it eventually. Yes, teams miss talent. For the kids who are undrafted, go out, take the invites, and show them your talents.

Congrats to Cole for getting an LA camp invite. Make the most of it, come back to Windsor, and do your thing.
This depends on your perspective. You be happy for the players drafted but still question what Bowler is doing. Greentree and Spellacy are the first 2 players Bowler has drafted that have become NHL drafted. Maggio was acquired prior to Bowler but was drafted under Bowler.

If the bar is to be good/average sure. If you want larger success Bowler needs to be much better. London won the OHL with 10 NHL picks not including NHL picks this year. Saginaw had 8 not including players this year or next year Misa. Banking on the 08s just to arrive make an impact and elevate the team will take years, most likely after Greentree and Spellacy are gone.

I think fans are patient in general. Fans shouldn't accept what happened in 23-24 it was avoidable and could have been prevented. Unfortunately that falls on the shoulders of Bowler. This can still take a few years if the 07s struggle. Their 04s-05s aren't high level either. It's a good question to ask when they should expect to contend again.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This depends on your perspective. You be happy for the players drafted but still question what Bowler is doing. Greentree and Spellacy are the first 2 players Bowler has drafted that have become NHL drafted. Maggio was acquired prior to Bowler but was drafted under Bowler.

If the bar is to be good/average sure. If you want larger success Bowler needs to be much better. London won the OHL with 10 NHL picks not including NHL picks this year. Saginaw had 8 not including players this year or next year Misa. Banking on the 08s just to arrive make an impact and elevate the team will take years, most likely after Greentree and Spellacy are gone.

I think fans are patient in general. Fans shouldn't accept what happened in 23-24 it was avoidable and could have been prevented. Unfortunately that falls on the shoulders of Bowler. This can still take a few years if the 07s struggle. Their 04s-05s aren't high level either. It's a good question to ask when they should expect to contend again.
Cole Davis was never going to be an nhl pick, he’s too small/soft. Expecting it to happen is a bit unfair to the kid. he’s a good he player, nothing wrong with that that

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Which part depends on my perspective?
You can be happy with players that are drafted but still question Bowler and the last 19 months. The future of the Spits depend on Bowler but that doesn't exclude them from having nhl picks. Eg Belchetz should be real good high NHL pick in 2026 but that doesn't mean the team is great eg. Greentree being a 1st round pick. You have made it clear though Bowler is killing it right now.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You can be happy with players that are drafted but still question Bowler and the last 19 months. The future of the Spits depend on Bowler but that doesn't exclude them from having nhl picks. Eg Belchetz should be real good high NHL pick in 2026 but that doesn't mean the team is great eg. Greentree being a 1st round pick. You have made it clear though Bowler is killing it right now.

I haven't once said Bowler is killing it right now.

• Haha
Reactions: windsor7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad