Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I’m always surprised how rarely the wings draft out of the OHL. They frequently have scouts, and all the talent is within a reasonable driving distance to observe and yet the OHL picks are very few and far between.
There were a total of 35 OHL players drafted both years 2023 & 2022 and 31 in 2021. 32 teams leaves an average of just over 1 per team. Wings took Gibson in 2nd round. Last spitfire pick by Detroit was Zito. Well we know how that worked out lol. I'd be happy with Greentree or Spellacy on the Wings.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
There were a total of 35 OHL players drafted both years 2023 & 2022 and 31 in 2021. 32 teams leaves an average of just over 1 per team. Wings took Gibson in 2nd round. Last spitfire pick by Detroit was Zito. Well we know how that worked out lol. I'd be happy with Greentree or Spellacy on the Wings.
I’d love that to be Greentree’s destination. As previously stated, they take their time bringing guys up and they’re not in a position to need the immediate depth for a deep playoff run. If Greentree goes Detroit, I think we get him two seasons here in Windsor, which as a follower of the Spits over any NHL club, that’s my preferred scenario lol.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
The O has lost significant player share in the show. Players have so many other quality options now. The game has changed dramatically and some leagues are struggling to keep up.
I do believe tree is here for 2 years. Still lots to work on. But thats good for windsor! I do believe much of what caused his drop off was the ability of teams to key on him most every shift.
Still dead quiet on the coach or euro pick front, my guys have heard nothing which even for BB is unusual. Makes me think this coach rumour may hold water.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
So reading 1 of the many predraft lists I saw what is likely an accurate " guess" at how the draft will go. This version had Greentree late first round. Spellacy middle 3rd round. David late 4th round and Christforo late 6th round.

Now start of last year I had Greentree and Spellacy about where they are now. Had not seen enough of Davis to even guess where he would or even be drafted. Christforo I had late 2nd or early 3rd. Now I'm not going to be shocked if he doesn't go but deep down I think a team will take a late shot at him . Draft is getting close so they will have their answer soon.
Good luck to all in the draft and being a free agent is not always a terrible thing.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The O has lost significant player share in the show. Players have so many other quality options now. The game has changed dramatically and some leagues are struggling to keep up.
I do believe tree is here for 2 years. Still lots to work on. But thats good for windsor! I do believe much of what caused his drop off was the ability of teams to key on him most every shift.
Still dead quiet on the coach or euro pick front, my guys have heard nothing which even for BB is unusual. Makes me think this coach rumour may hold water.
Bowler puppet

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
So reading 1 of the many predraft lists I saw what is likely an accurate " guess" at how the draft will go. This version had Greentree late first round. Spellacy middle 3rd round. David late 4th round and Christforo late 6th round.

Now start of last year I had Greentree and Spellacy about where they are now. Had not seen enough of Davis to even guess where he would or even be drafted. Christforo I had late 2nd or early 3rd. Now I'm not going to be shocked if he doesn't go but deep down I think a team will take a late shot at him . Draft is getting close so they will have their answer soon.
Good luck to all in the draft and being a free agent is not always a terrible thing.
he doesnt play a pro style, allen is better and had a better 17 year old year and went in the 5th?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
cam allen on guelph

rookie of the year as a 16 year old and was exposed and play fell off in the second year. hes bigger and more competitive then cristo but he even fell to the 5th round.
Sorry, I new who Can Allen was just wasn't sure who on my list you were referring to but I did assume Christforo. Thanks for the clarification.
And yes as stated I would not be surprised if he is overlooked after his last year of play.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Whether they're chosen in the first, second, seventh, or not at all, they come back here and work their tails off to get to the next level. Yes, it's frustrating that players fall in the rankings but, in five or 10 years, it's where you end up, not where you started.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I’d love that to be Greentree’s destination. As previously stated, they take their time bringing guys up and they’re not in a position to need the immediate depth for a deep playoff run. If Greentree goes Detroit, I think we get him two seasons here in Windsor, which as a follower of the Spits over any NHL club, that’s my preferred scenario lol.
Agree 💯

Reactions: punch1943

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Nolan LaLonde moved for a 15th + 3rd/7th if he plays.
Not a “franchise”, game changer OHL Goalie, but sets the market for the cost of a rather steady, OA goalie. Not much.
Maybe Saginaw did him a little favor and took less to send him home to Kingston, but about what I’d expect the 04’ goalie market at.

I think it’s safe to assume Joey’s our guy. Worst case injury, or an atrocious season, and we could pick one up at the deadline or off waivers relatively cheap to bail out a rookie tender, if neither Windbiel or Altimann could handle the workload.
I think our tender situation is fine with what we have, but more concerned about the proper split of crease time.

if Greentree slips down to late first round, and we get him for 2025-2026, that team has massive potential, as I think if he’s here, every other 06 will be too (Spellacy, Woodall, Davis, Christo)

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not a “franchise”, game changer OHL Goalie, but sets the market for the cost of a rather steady, OA goalie. Not much.
Maybe Saginaw did him a little favor and took less to send him home to Kingston, but about what I’d expect the 04’ goalie market at.

I think it’s safe to assume Joey’s our guy. Worst case injury, or an atrocious season, and we could pick one up at the deadline or off waivers relatively cheap to bail out a rookie tender, if neither Windbiel or Altimann could handle the workload.
I think our tender situation is fine with what we have, but more concerned about the proper split of crease time.

if Greentree slips down to late first round, and we get him for 2025-2026, that team has massive potential, as I think if he’s here, every other 06 will be too (Spellacy, Woodall, Davis, Christo)
Altiman won't be considered he is turning 19,the 3 tenders battling it out will be Costanzo, Froggett and Windbiel, with 17 year old Newlove the 4th goalie.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR

Don't be surprised if Spellacy makes the show before anyone else. His athleticism is top notch

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Is it worth spending the assets to get someone like Parsons or DiVincentiis, or just stick with Costanzo/Froggett/Windbiel?
Nope, not contending this year so the pool of goalies we have will get them through the year. Assets should be used on D to help the goalies we have. That is the best use of assets. This could be done by acquiring a decent OA and drafting well in the import draft.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
D is the biggest ??? Is the staff able to find quality D men? Im still questioning the ability of these guys to evaluate D players. Position has been a need since BB took over and its gone from bad to brutal!! A few OA’s have been mentioned already, they would help a great deal. The addition of a top euro D would go along way too!! Remember 2 quality bodies replace the 2 bottom guys. Big difference that can help quickly.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
D is the biggest ??? Is the staff able to find quality D men? Im still questioning the ability of these guys to evaluate D players. Position has been a need since BB took over and its gone from bad to brutal!! A few OA’s have been mentioned already, they would help a great deal. The addition of a top euro D would go along way too!! Remember 2 quality bodies replace the 2 bottom guys. Big difference that can help quickly.
Absolutely.
Plus good coaching knowing what they r actually doing..

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Agree. Defense is a concept the entire team, management and coaches have to all buy in from day 1 Bowler even with Savard tried to outscore their opponents which never seems to work in crunch time . Goalies are left to dry. The Spits have not developed a goalie properly since DiPietro.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Altiman won't be considered he is turning 19,the 3 tenders battling it out will be Costanzo, Froggett and Windbiel, with 17 year old Newlove the 4th goalie.
Not sure why I confused Frogget and Altimann. I feel Windbiel will quickly hop Froggett in depth.

Is it worth spending the assets to get someone like Parsons or DiVincentiis, or just stick with Costanzo/Froggett/Windbiel?
I’d stick with what we have. Use our assets to bring in guys that’ll be around 25/26 or swap them out for later picks.

Don't be surprised if Spellacy makes the show before anyone else. His athleticism is top notch
I do think he may be the most athletic guy we’ve seen in years, however, I’m right there with he’s missing more elements to his game than Greentree is.

Reactions: frontsfan67

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Not sure why I confused Frogget and Altimann. I feel Windbiel will quickly hop Froggett in depth.

I’d stick with what we have. Use our assets to bring in guys that’ll be around 25/26 or swap them out for later picks.

I do think he may be the most athletic guy we’ve seen in years, however, I’m right there with he’s missing more elements to his game than Greentree is.
True. But you can't teach speed and athleticism. You have it or you don't at this stage.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad