Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I don't mind that. Time for a young group to rely on each and bond together without worrying about showing well individually in front of a home crowd .
Other parts of the schedule are more favorable for example Spits only play 3 in 3 three times this coming season and 2 of them have a road game sandwiched in between 2 home games.
As well the longest stretch playing aw on Thursday ay is 4 games between Jan 4-11.
The Spits also play 7 straight home games from Jan 26 to Feb.13.
As part of the schedule 13 games are at home on Thursdays, and 6 games are played at home on Saturdays and 7 on Sundays.
The other 9 games at home are spread out with 3 on Wednesdays, 2 on both Mondays and Tuesday,with 1 game at home on a Friday.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I don't mind that. Time for a young group to rely on each and bond together without worrying about showing well individually in front of a home crowd .
I agree. Personally, I found road games easier to lock into with less distractions, and more team bonding time. Hopefully the bus rides get the team on the same page early, as I could see this young talented group making more noise than is expected of them.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
What are the odds that Konnor Smith comes home to finish his career? Any interest in Smith?

Can’t see OS keeping both he and Steen.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Tnias Mathurin in NB ? Van Vleit in Sudbury? What OA that might be available is the best fit and can log top minutes against opposing top lines?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
What are the odds that Konnor Smith comes home to finish his career? Any interest in Smith?

Can’t see OS keeping both he and Steen.
I would agree with getting Smith and u are right Owen Sound won't keep both he and Steen this coming season.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Tnias Mathurin in NB ? Van Vleit in Sudbury? What OA that might be available is the best fit and can log top minutes against opposing top lines?
Trias Mathurin and Van Vliet are interesting possible OA dmen along with Blake Smith in Flint.
Will certainly depend on the ask for any one of those guys plus either Konnor Smith or Donavan McCoy last one from Sudbury.
Windsor does have 3-2nd picks and a 3rd for the next draft so there is some trade capital available just not willing to spend it all,saving for the next season after this to be honest but open to reasonable deals.

Reactions: Section 103

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It would be nice to get KSmith here; his family are huge supporters and he's exactly what the club needs. I guess it's just a matter of the cost and willingness of all parties.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
The cost still might be a lot. Van Vliet went for 2 2nds, a 3rd and Protz just 6 months ago.

In the Smith deal Peterborough they also got an 05 in McCue. OS dealt their 07 1st rounder a 6th and their import pick.

Both of those had heavy assets in return. If they're moving 2nds and 3rds and 07s for rentals that isn't exactly going in the right direction.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
The cost still might be a lot. Van Vliet went for 2 2nds, a 3rd and Protz just 6 months ago.

In the Smith deal Peterborough they also got an 05 in McCue. OS dealt their 07 1st rounder a 6th and their import pick.

Both of those had heavy assets in return. If they're moving 2nds and 3rds and 07s for rentals that isn't exactly going in the right direction.
Konnor would not cost as much as last year. Last year he had 1 1)2 years of playing time left and did not take up an OA spot. This year 1 year left to play and now takes up an OA spot. I would think 1 2nd and a 4th would be enough. That is worth it if you get him for a full year. Now is he coming back to the O? I think not but could be . Also as an OA he can request to be traded closer to home, that would limit Owen Sounds options and lessen the value. Either way he would be a great add for Windsor if the value is there. Like HL said ok to make a couple of moves just don't sacrifice the future for it.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
I to would agree Konor would a very nice fit here. But OS knows it too. Maybe if you have some inside lines to nhl teams, you enquire behind the scenes, offer the deal early before OS knows his status then cross your fingers…. Been done before…

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Konnor would not cost as much as last year. Last year he had 1 1)2 years of playing time left and did not take up an OA spot. This year 1 year left to play and now takes up an OA spot. I would think 1 2nd and a 4th would be enough. That is worth it if you get him for a full year. Now is he coming back to the O? I think not but could be . Also as an OA he can request to be traded closer to home, that would limit Owen Sounds options and lessen the value. Either way he would be a great add for Windsor if the value is there. Like HL said ok to make a couple of moves just don't sacrifice the future for it.
Konnor goes for more than a 2nd and 4th. Mancini went for a 2nd and 3rd. Maillet went for a 2nd 2 3rds and a 5th. Kressler with a 3rd rounder added fetched 3 3rds 1 2nd and a 9th. Dubois went for a 2nd 3rd and 5th.

All those players were OAs traded at the deadline for half a season. Konnor won't go for as much as last year but he won't be going for a 2nd and 4th either. I do agree he might be in the AHL but he doesn't have to sign this year either. The Ducks promoted Minkutov, LaCombe. Zellwegger and Luneau got time last year but one of them might be back in the AHL. They signed Dionicio. A full year of Smith costs 2 2nd's and a 3rd or a 2nd 2 3rds minimum.

Reactions: frontsfan67

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
That’s too steep for where this team is in the rebuild. Better to hold those assets.
I agree this is not the year to go all in but they really do need a quality OA D to shore up the defensive core. And with so many teams needing the same thing it will be tough. Spits can't use all their picks next draft and play them so with some of those picks it will not hurt the future to bring in the right OA D to mentor and protect the young D group. Konnor fits that to a T.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I agree this is not the year to go all in but they really do need a quality OA D to shore up the defensive core. And with so many teams needing the same thing it will be tough. Spits can't use all their picks next draft and play them so with some of those picks it will not hurt the future to bring in the right OA D to mentor and protect the young D group. Konnor fits that to a T.
Exactly. Those pics and Konnor will still be paying dividends when it is a go for it year but if he’s your OA upgrade then they probably shouldn’t spend hardly any pics anywhere else.

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Windsor's extra picks (up to round six):

2025 - two 2nds
2026 - two 3rds, two 4ths
2027 - two 2nds, two 4ths

If you deal a second and a third, plus someone younger, it's not impossible to get him.

Let's say they don't get Konnor and they wind up having to trade multiple picks for a lesser talent because they've put themselves in a hole. Then what happens? "Why didn't Bowler trade for him while he had the chance?!" Unless the asking price is sky-high, you pull the trigger - giant local defenceman who's exactly what you need this season, even if it's only for this season.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Agree. This team's talent is all youth heavy and poor with older players. Let teams trim their roster with OA decisions and acquire one that way. Save those picks for the next serious run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad