Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
He had 38 points this past season 7G,31A in 67 games,did miss all the exhibition season,had 3 less points than last year,though Windsor scored 75 less goals this past season then the previous one,interesting he had 6 goals his 1st year but none on the PP,7 this past year but 4 on the PP.
Windsor gave up the most goals in the league due to bad defense...

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So an undersized D man, i heard hes hurt til jan as well. Hasnt got much playing time lately. Coming off an injury that could be problematic. Im hesitant to believe hes a first rnd guy at 5’9”. Yet you wanna grab him at the 3rd pic?!?! Oh wait, the team already has 2 undersized guys that lack physicality too,,,

Reactions: windsor7

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Rated 32 by Sam Cosentino who actually watches junior.

90 by consolidated ranking

51 by draft prospects hockey.

He will be drafted lol. 31pts in 67 games is pretty respectable. Quinton burns on kingston has similar numbers his draft year and got picked 3rd round
Cosentino does NOT watch junior hockey. Any service that has him that high should be embarrassed and reflects badly upon them.

So an undersized D man, i heard hes hurt til jan as well. Hasnt got much playing time lately. Coming off an injury that could be problematic. Im hesitant to believe hes a first rnd guy at 5’9”. Yet you wanna grab him at the 3rd pic?!?! Oh wait, the team already has 2 undersized guys that lack physicality too,,,
He is healthy now, just played at the U18’s for Finland where he was the captian.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
B
What do the NHL scouts watch???? Cosentino ranked him 32 was in Dec 2023. Cristoforo was -43 thank God for his points or it would have been uglier. 3rd worst plus/minus in the entire league for defenseman with Toms keeping him in 3rd worst. Quinton burns 6-1" was -13. Not similar stats at all. Not even comparable.
Quinton Burns is 10 times the player, plays tough, knows how to defend, has more size and some offense. Very well rounded. 74 not so much.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
He had 38 points this past season 7G,31A in 67 games,did miss all the exhibition season,had 3 less points than last year,though Windsor scored 75 less goals this past season then the previous one,interesting he had 6 goals his 1st year but none on the PP,7 this past year but 4 on the PP.
Oh my bad I messed numbers up but that’s even better than the 31- ESPECIALLY since the spits this season were nothing compared to the team the year before

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
What do the NHL scouts watch???? Cosentino ranked him 32 was in Dec 2023. Cristoforo was -43 thank God for his points or it would have been uglier. 3rd worst plus/minus in the entire league for defenseman with Toms keeping him in 3rd worst. Quinton burns 6-1" was -13. Not similar stats at all. Not even comparable.
Windsor was the worst team in the league this past season and in the west where as the fronts for burns draft season were bad but not the worst, also in the east.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
B

Quinton Burns is 10 times the player, plays tough, knows how to defend, has more size and some offense. Very well rounded. 74 not so much.
I like burns. Other people in kingston not so much. One thing I’ll say is he turns the puck over sometimes and takes dumb penalties but lots of room for improvement. And christoforo is a year younger- may not be stellar defensively right now but you’re looking 2 years down the line and in 2 years his defensive side of the game will be completely different- very improved.

Also doesn’t help when fans harp on the kids. I’ve seen it first hand all the stupid kingston fans yelling and screaming at burns- gotta remember these guys are still kids. Not pros yet.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
We can talk about Cristoforo not performing well and wanting him to be dealt. The bigger issue is that Bowler is afraid to be creative and wants to keep Eichler for his 05 year and not take a chance. This team isn't ready to win in 24-25 so what is the upside in keeping Eichler? I won't discuss the idea of drafing of a top tier import because you already have Cristoforo and Woodall. People are serious that they would pass on a NHL draft pick because of Woodall and they could both be the same age?? Some fans are just like Bowler being content with status quo.

Before people say players can improve and will work hard in the offseason. Nineteen other teams and their players will be doing the same and some of them actually will already have a GM/coach that will give them guidance and expectations.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I get that we haven't gone after Cristoforo in a whole week and that makes us due, but... I'm still very intrigued by this draft orientation weekend. It's something positive for the club, which (I think) is a good thing?!

Does Brocklehurst count as an American or Canadian, in terms of being able to be sent down to Jr B?

Reactions: hockeylegend11

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I get that we haven't gone after Cristoforo in a whole week and that makes us due, but... I'm still very intrigued by this draft orientation weekend. It's something positive for the club, which (I think) is a good thing?!

Does Brocklehurst count as an American or Canadian, in terms of being able to be sent down to Jr B?
Regarding Brocklehurst I think despite playing in US this past season but being born in Halifax Nova Scotia indicates he can play Jr B in Canada (Ont)
Talk about a late birthday kid won't be 16 till December 30.
Intriguing situation with this player was impressed with his speed and ability at orientation camp yesterday want a better look at main camp under all situations, very early assessment he will be a player but I want to see him at main camp.
I will have other assessments later about the others who performed yesterday.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Little hard to judge a player I've never seen play!? I would hazard a guess very few on here have seen him play as well? If a tape measure is the only thing your using to scout a player glad your not the GM, lol. And yes I'm not always the best " scout" either but I'd at least want to see them play first. Remember one of the best players I've ever seen play D in the OHL was 5' 9. And he was a great at laying players out along the boards. And beside all of this the draft isn't until July 3rd. They could go in a totally different direction at that point. Be safe.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Aron Kiviharju is an interesting case study. He at one point in time was considered a top-5 and by some the #1 talent for the 2024 draft. He is one of the most hyped up talents to ever come out of Finland. He At 15, he made the Finnish U18 team, something that doesn’t happen for a player as young as him and coming into the year, he was seen as someone who would challenge for a top-10 pick.

Unfortunately he got injured and when many went back to dissect his game, they came to the realization that he has seen little improvement to his game since he was 16. He is super smart and creative from the blueline, and is undoubtedly one of the most talented offensive blueliners in his age group in the world. Unfortunately for him, he is small and although he is a shifty skater, he isn’t fast so that combination of attributes are going to have NHL teams steer away until likely the 3rd round of the nhl draft. He is a fantastic offensive weapon, and would be one of the best defenders in the OHL if he came over, he is super smart with the puck on his stick and able to really drive play on the blueline. He would help out the Spitfires offence overnight and Cristoforo would benefit from it too, with less responsibility as a result.

I doubt the Spitfires even know what they’ll do with their selection though until the NHL draft is concluded unless they’re targeting an ‘07, because with Kiviharju for example he is signed in Finland until 2025, so he’d need to get an ELC from his team in order for him to come to the OHL.

I doubt that Kiviharju is Windsor’s choice, but he’s certainly not a bad pick if that were to happen.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I like burns. Other people in kingston not so much. One thing I’ll say is he turns the puck over sometimes and takes dumb penalties but lots of room for improvement. And christoforo is a year younger- may not be stellar defensively right now but you’re looking 2 years down the line and in 2 years his defensive side of the game will be completely different- very improved.

Also doesn’t help when fans harp on the kids. I’ve seen it first hand all the stupid kingston fans yelling and screaming at burns- gotta remember these guys are still kids. Not pros yet.
I agree 100 % to not yelling at players on the ice, especially name calling towards either team. However, no one on here can not say they have seen first hand fans yelling at players at very young minor houseleagues, high school etc. Go to a junior C game and the yelling at a 73s game is part of the entertainment for some. Embarrassing to have to sit and listen to it some nights. However, there is not a draft eligible kid who doesn't read every scouting report they get their hands on. Nothing new is said on here that the player has not heard 100 times by coaching, agents, teammates, scouts etc in person. It's not disliking the person, it's things in the players game.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Regarding Brocklehurst I think despite playing in US this past season but being born in Halifax Nova Scotia indicates he can play Jr B in Canada (Ont)
Talk about a late birthday kid won't be 16 till December 30.
Intriguing situation with this player was impressed with his speed and ability at orientation camp yesterday want a better look at main camp under all situations, very early assessment he will be a player but I want to see him at main camp.
I will have other assessments later about the others who performed yesterday.
Just adding comments/ observations regarding Windsor's orientation camp.
Overall impressed with most players,especially forwards Ethan Belchetz, JC Lemieiux, Ethan Garden and Ryan Cranny.
On the D side I liked alot Grady Spicer,Drake Gram American born Little Caesars teammates with Ethan Garden this past year,Andrew Robinson and Noah Caswell who was the dman drafted in the U18draft.
Goalies Micheal Newlove U18 1st selection and another American 16 year old Jake Windbiel who from I understand wants to play here all 6'5-213 of him.
Belchetz had me starstruck at times I must admit,size,poise,skill,can't wait till main camp to see what this kid will do,imo will make everyone better that he plays with,JC Lemieiux loved his speed and dogged determination, American forward from Little Caesars Ethan Garden really caught my eye,great speed and skill,despite only 5-7"-160 will be a handful if he committed here,Max Brocklehurst mentioned him before definitely intrigued by him impressive motor,Goalies I mentioned liked their ability, attention to detail,size and taking advantage, want to see more of Newlove and Windbiel at main camp.On the D size,like Spicers presence,skates decently for a big guy engages,I see alot of good things here and I know he wants to be here.
Drake Gram another D guy not big but efficient solid at both ends,good hockey sense, Carswell on the D was impressed with his mobility and hockey size,ditto for Andrew Robinson our 3rd round pick similar qualities to Carswell. 2nd round dman Carter Hart had a great end to end rush to score a goal.

Newlove and Windbiel will be interesting moving foward I wanted to mention was 11th round pick out of Owen Sound is Ryan Cranny, I really liked his skating and heads up play showed me some nice skill looking forward to seeing him at main camp.
With the USHL draft Monday afternoon at 4,a 10 round draft for 08 born players will be interesting to see who picks Garden,Gram and Windbiel and whether we will see any if them come main camp in late Aug.
Knowing full well way too early to accurately predict who gets offered a contract by Windsor for those new players,other then Belchetz who is signed already,Lemieiux, Garden, Gram,Spicer, Windbiel and Brocklehurst are definitely on my radar with Cranny and Newlove right there with them
Doesn't mean anyone else could crack that group,I am hoping 2nd round dmen Carter Hart and 4th round dman Andrew Robinson,along with 2nd round U18 dman Noah Caswell make their respective cases to be included in the possible sign list.
Do I think this class has the chance as being as good as the 06's draft choices or even better I do,being cautious however to temper my enthusiasm till I see a whole training camp.
Could see some interesting decisions both from the players whether to sign here if asked or Windsor and how much they want to sign a number of these players.
Can't wait till camp

Last edited:

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I’m pretty sure you can keep 3 or 4 players rights but only have 2 signed to the roster at a time.

If you guys go with 2 imports in this draft (don’t know much about eichler but only had 12 points so clearly not amazing) and keep the rights of kiviharju and then let’s say some point next season in like November he wants to come over- well you can trade one of your imports you get this draft and swap them out for kiviharju.

Friendly reminder there was talk for a few years about this guy going first overall. Now in the last year his draft stock has fell but you can’t pass up a guy like that. At the very minimum at this level he will be a top 5-10 d man in the league.
you can keep two and in theory have a non reporting player on a frozen list. thats about it. kit had to release kiviharju when they picked up sale. 99 percent of the situations do not allow you to start the year with more then 2.

Zhugin will be an OA and he definitely won’t be brought back, I agree about eichler but christoforo is only an 06. And he’s has 2 really productive seasons. As d men get older they get better defending usually.

Christoforo is a big part of your future along with greentree, belchetz and Davis and the next 2 years should be pretty fun to watch for you guys. Doesn’t make sense trading christoforo at all. I’m sure he and whatever team drafts him will work on the defensive side of the puck a lot in the off season.
bowler was telling teams he wanted to keep zhugin as an oa/import. he can be put on a frozen list like any overage now and you can pick one over the summer before having to release one in september. he had 4/5 teams calling on him and said no to trading him.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Aron Kiviharju is an interesting case study. He at one point in time was considered a top-5 and by some the #1 talent for the 2024 draft. He is one of the most hyped up talents to ever come out of Finland. He At 15, he made the Finnish U18 team, something that doesn’t happen for a player as young as him and coming into the year, he was seen as someone who would challenge for a top-10 pick.

Unfortunately he got injured and when many went back to dissect his game, they came to the realization that he has seen little improvement to his game since he was 16. He is super smart and creative from the blueline, and is undoubtedly one of the most talented offensive blueliners in his age group in the world. Unfortunately for him, he is small and although he is a shifty skater, he isn’t fast so that combination of attributes are going to have NHL teams steer away until likely the 3rd round of the nhl draft. He is a fantastic offensive weapon, and would be one of the best defenders in the OHL if he came over, he is super smart with the puck on his stick and able to really drive play on the blueline. He would help out the Spitfires offence overnight and Cristoforo would benefit from it too, with less responsibility as a result.

I doubt the Spitfires even know what they’ll do with their selection though until the NHL draft is concluded unless they’re targeting an ‘07, because with Kiviharju for example he is signed in Finland until 2025, so he’d need to get an ELC from his team in order for him to come to the OHL.

I doubt that Kiviharju is Windsor’s choice, but he’s certainly not a bad pick if that were to happen.
kitchener had to release him, and i dont think they do that unless they know for sure that hes staying over seas next year.

Reactions: Teflon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad