Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Nice 2 pts to start off the week on the road. Medina & Maggio excellent tonight. Lately Windsor gets outshot they win, they outshoot the opponent they lose. Nonetheless nice game Overall. Definately going to need some help if Zito is out for any amount of time.

Reactions: member 71782

member 71782

Medina had the game he needed, played well.

Maggio has a big night with the hat trick, McDonald gets a pair and Miedema gets one with some assists as well.

A game the team should have won and did win by a margin most would expect against a Flint team most expect to see battling for the final playoff spot.

A couple of days off before they face Erie at home.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits win 6-3 at Flint
Great game by Maggio 3G,1A,McDonald with 2G,Johnston 2 assists,rookie Bronson Ride continues to get better as he had 2 assists,and Xavier Medina nice bounce back with a solid outing, especially after the 1st when Windsor appeared to get complacent at times.
Too bad Zito got hurt just after the mid mark in the 2nd.
Finally special teams did fine 1-2 on the PP and 4-4 on the PK
Spits didn't have a PP after the 1st,Flint had 4.
Should have mentioned Miedema had a goal and an assist on the night.

Last edited:

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
6-2 Windsor final. Medina looked very sharp with 36 saves; he's finding his game.

Maggio 4pts, Johnston/Ride/McDonald/Miedema two points each.
I wouldn’t get too excited about Medina tonight. He looked good but Flint has just lacked finish in almost every game this year. They generate enough quality scoring chances but they haven’t been converting. How many big saves did Medina make tonight vs how many quality chances just hit him? You watched on tv. I was at the game with couple friends I haven’t seen in awhile so you probably are the better judge but it looked a lot more like the latter to me. Anyway, I figured I’d let you guys know Zito stumbled pretty good coming off the ice being passed from teammate to trainer. It looked more like concussion to me. Hopefully that’s not the case but I’d be prepared for that to be the diagnosis.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Nice to see Windsor score 6 goals in a game when their #1 scorer Will Cuylle and their #2 goal scorer Pasquale Zito tied with Johnston prior to tonight with 4 don't score,though Zito unfortunately got hurt midway through the game and did not return.
Mathew Maggio is on fire,after going pointless his 1st 2 games played,he now has 11 points 5G,6A, in his last 8 games,while Wyatt Johnston has 10 points in his last 9 outings,4G,6A
Toss in Kyle McDonald who has 4G and 3 assists in his last 5,the team scoring is starting to come along.
Really impressed with the play of dman Bronson Ride,youngster has 4 points in 8 games played,3 his last games,is now a +2,after going -4 in his 1st game ,the season opener,his last 7 games played he is a +6 that's impressive and heis earning a regular spot.
Injury to Zito will pose an interesting problem roster wise upfront especially with Peer out another month from what understand.
Spits now down to 10 healthy forwards, and 8 D.
Possible call ups could be 16 year old Ethan Martin -Cen from Stratford Jr B who is signed,and or forward Jackson McLlwain (18) LW-Cen from Komoka
Hopefully 1 or both occur Saturday unless some else is either signed or acquired.
Interesting numbers so far,
When the Spits dress 12F,6D they are 1-0-0-0,yes only 1 game have they dressed 12F
When they have dressed 11F and 7D they are 3-1-0-2,and when have dressed 10F,8D,Windsor is 0-3
Btw the only loss they had when dressing 11F,7D was opening night vs Sarnia,since then,3-0-0-2.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
A night of 1sts,Mathew Maggio scored his 1st OHL hat trick,and for the 1st time this season all 3- 16 year old Spits picked up a least a point tonight in the win over Flint
Miedema, 1G1A,Ride,2A and O'Flaherty, 1A,5 points for the trio.
Another 1st ,coach Mark Savard 's son playing for the Sault scored his 1st and 2nd OHL goals tonight to help the Hounds knock off Saginaw 8-4
The 18 year old Savard has 2G,3A,5Pts in 12 games with the Hounds.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with a win.
Maggio with a big game.
McDonald had a good game also.
Medina had confidence.
Defense was usual same....
Flint was not good.
These games Windsor must win.
Erie next is another gane Windsor must win.
Inconsistencies is what Windsor has.
Needs to be fixed.

member 71782

I wouldn’t get too excited about Medina tonight. He looked good but Flint has just lacked finish in almost every game this year. They generate enough quality scoring chances but they haven’t been converting. How many big saves did Medina make tonight vs how many quality chances just hit him? You watched on tv. I was at the game with couple friends I haven’t seen in awhile so you probably are the better judge but it looked a lot more like the latter to me. Anyway, I figured I’d let you guys know Zito stumbled pretty good coming off the ice being passed from teammate to trainer. It looked more like concussion to me. Hopefully that’s not the case but I’d be prepared for that to be the diagnosis.

Medina faced a decent number of shots, didn't give up five, didn't give up one on the first shot, that's a step in the right direction.

I think most here understand he didn't have to stand on his head all night but a solid showing is what the kid needed. Now hopefully he can do it two games in a row.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well I posted earlier in the week that Maggio and McDonald lacked "finish". Well that did not age well! Nice to see 5 goals from them! Here's hoping they can keep this up. 1 a game would be nice.
D did what they had to last night, not flashy and they had some oops plays but they played better than they have in the past. The opposition was a part of that but games like this drive confidence. For me the biggest surprise in this group is DeAngelis. Looks strong and is winning puck battles in the corners. may be the go to guy in the future.

Hoping Zito is ok, they need him and this shows a big void up front of players. They need to get some quality forwards and shore up the front end. Seems odd they are playing so short? Wonder if they know help is on the way?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
So now we see how committed Bowler and the Savages are. I admit I’m impressed to date this year, BUT, this team absolutely needs 1 maybe 2 forwards ASAP. Filling with call ups already isn’t the answer. It’s not like the D where we need to up the caliber of player this is about just having enough players. If BB has an inside scoop as to Foudys status that’s fine go get 1 player. I can’t stress this enough, it needs to happen! I liked the energy and overall game last night. I’m wondering how a player gets smoked and likely concussed and the cameras missed it! Wouldn’t the camera be following the puck? So then shouldn’t we have seen it?? If it was away from play where’s the penalty and the repercussion from a teammate?? I’d like to actually see it.
so to my main point, it’s time to see what Bowler is made of and if he’s willing/allowed to make the necessary moves.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
While I agree to the need of another forward asap, I wouldn't have a problem bringing Ethan Martin- a Center (16) already signed up to take a look ,for Saturday's game vs Erie,perfect situation for him,against a younger,less experienced team,see what happens and then play him next week, Friday at Sarnia and Saturday at home vs SSM.
Now if Zito is ready to go say next Saturday fine,pretty sure he will miss next game or 2 .
I dont want to go 10F,8D again this year unless absolutely neccessary, this Saturday game is not neccessary imo.
Like I mentioned they can also bring in Jackson McLlwain in if they have to
Too bad Grenerio isn't available yet I would have considered him too.
As I have mentioned in the past I have no problem going 11F,7D especially if the schedule isn't heavy ie 3 in a row,or 3 in 4 with travel but 2 in 4 like this week,and next weekend 2 in 2 I good with,its a week after that where I am concerned.
Should also mention Spits are 3-1-0-2 when dressing 7D,11F and that loss came opening night.
Other organizational players that might be considered could be RW
Luke Fritz (17) has 8G,2A in 10 games with Stratford Jr B,Ben Felicetti (18)
RW has 5G,12A in 13 games with Niagara Falls Canucks Jr B,Jack Greenwell (16)-Cen 2G,7A in 13 games with La Salle Vipers,and fellow Viper 17 yr old LW Noah Morneau who has
5G,7A in 13 games.
Trouble with any of the last 4,they would have to signed,and while I know Greenwell and Fritz on their radar,cant say about Felicetti and Morneau.

Last edited:

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
So now we see how committed Bowler and the Savages are. I admit I’m impressed to date this year, BUT, this team absolutely needs 1 maybe 2 forwards ASAP. Filling with call ups already isn’t the answer. It’s not like the D where we need to up the caliber of player this is about just having enough players. If BB has an inside scoop as to Foudys status that’s fine go get 1 player. I can’t stress this enough, it needs to happen! I liked the energy and overall game last night. I’m wondering how a player gets smoked and likely concussed and the cameras missed it! Wouldn’t the camera be following the puck? So then shouldn’t we have seen it?? If it was away from play where’s the penalty and the repercussion from a teammate?? I’d like to actually see it.
so to my main point, it’s time to see what Bowler is made of and if he’s willing/allowed to make the necessary moves.

Zito was not smoked from a hit, he and the Flint player simply collided, both players were not looking, Zito got the worst of it. It was a complete accident, that is why there was not retaliation.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

member 71782

While I agree to the need of another forward asap, I wouldn't have a problem bringing Ethan Martin- a Center (16) already signed up to take a look ,for Saturday's game vs Erie,perfect situation for him,against a younger,less experienced team,see what happens and then play him next week, Friday at Sarnia and Saturday at home vs SSM.
Now if Zito is ready to go say next Saturday fine,pretty sure he will miss next game or 2 .
I dont want to go 10F,8D again this year unless absolutely neccessary, this Saturday game is not neccessary imo.
Like I mentioned they can also bring in Jackson McLlwain in if they have to
Too bad Grenerio isn't available yet I would have considered him too.
As I have mentioned in the past I have no problem going 11F,7D especially if the schedule isn't heavy ie 3 in a row,or 3 in 4 with travel but 2 in 4 like this week,and next weekend 2 in 2 I good with,its a week after that where I am concerned.
Should also mention Spits are 3-1-0-2 when dressing 7D,11F and that loss came opening night.
Other organizational players that might be considered could be RW
Luke Fritz (17) has 8G,2A in 10 games with Stratford Jr B,Ben Felicetti (18)
RW has 5G,12A in 13 games with Niagara Falls Canucks Jr B,Jack Greenwell (16)-Cen 2G,7A in 13 games with La Salle Vipers,and fellow Viper 17 yr old LW Noah Morneau who has
5G,7A in 13 games.
Trouble with any of the last 4,they would have to signed,and while I know Greenwell and Fritz on their radar,cant say about Felicetti and Morneau.

It's time to get 14 forwards on the roster. They have depth in JR B, time to use it since they have no forward depth with the club.

Bring Martin in, at least for the game against Erie along with someone else. I have no issue with trading for someone but if they're going to deal for a depth forward I wouldn't bother spending the assets.

It's time to open the wallet for the roster. They did a nice job filling off ice positions now fill out the roster. I would hope a 16 and 17 year old will be brought up permanently and then sign a couple more to bring up when/if needed.

member 71782

I'd be shocked (and disappointed) if they went with 10F and 7/8D on Saturday. Unless there's a REALLY good reason, no excuse.

If they have players signed playing JR B there is no excuse not to bring a couple of players up.

Oct 3, 2019
Zito was not smoked from a hit, he and the Flint player simply collided, both players were not looking, Zito got the worst of it. It was a complete accident, that is why there was not retaliation.
Watch it again. The player hit him right into that corner. Little surprise that nobody went after the other kid tho. I’m sure zito would of dropped them if it was one of his teammates.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Some interesting comparatives at the 10 game mark from last we played in 19/20
Medina currently is at 3.53 goals against average in 7 appearances
last time we played he was 3.51 in 4 appearances
Kyle Downey currently sits at 3.59 in 5 appearances
Last we played Kari Piironen who was in his 2nd season sat at 3.96 in 6 appearances
Mathew Maggio has already surpassed his 3 goal total in 45 games now has 5 in 10 games played,actually 5 in his last 8 games,he had 1 assist total in 9 games,now he has 11points in 10 games.
Will Cuylle who has 6G,2A now had 1G,5A in his 1st 10 games last we played
Wyatt Johnston currently has 4G,6A in 10 games,last year played at the 10 game mark as a rookie he had 1G,1Pt in 7 games.
Kyle McDonald had 4G,2A in 9 games in 19/20, now in 10 games he has 4G,5A,and has gotten hot,currently 4G,3A in his last 7 games
Finally left winger Daniel D'amico now an OA, last time we played he had 3G,5A,+5 in 10 games,this year in 10 games 1G,6A,-5.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
It's time to get 14 forwards on the roster. They have depth in JR B, time to use it since they have no forward depth with the club.

Bring Martin in, at least for the game against Erie along with someone else. I have no issue with trading for someone but if they're going to deal for a depth forward I wouldn't bother spending the assets.

It's time to open the wallet for the roster. They did a nice job filling off ice positions now fill out the roster. I would hope a 16 and 17 year old will be brought up permanently and then sign a couple more to bring up when/if needed.

Agreed it's not like we should be surprised if you're only playing with 10-11 forwards you don't have any room for error in regards to health of your forwards.

Last night was an improved performance they still need to get more comfortable playing with a lead because for 20-25 minutes they weren't getting out of their own zone. Need to build off this come Saturday.

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Is there something that can be done with our import situation? I forget what the rules are on trading them, but if you could swap out Sobolev and Baisov for two import forwards who are actually able to contribute we're looking good. I personally don't care for either of our imports, I think they are both various degrees of disappointing. Please don't give me the "getting used to north america" crap either, Sergachev was a straight up beast from the second he got here, same with Loktionov and same with Koko. You could see immediately they would be impact players. These guys look like scrubs with cool sounding Russian names, certainly not worth the import slots they are taking on an otherwise solid and competitive team. Whatever healthy scratch we have easily replaces Sobolev and the same probably goes for Baisov in my opinion. Some bottom feeders gotta have a productive import or two kicking around that could be upgrades on the cheap maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad