Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
How significant was last nights game? Last night's come from behind 6-3 Firebirds victory was history making in the 53 year history of hockey in Flint. No Flint team who has sported jerseys in either minor professional hockey or junior hockey in the Vehicle City had come from behind of a 3-0 deficit in a playoff game and went on to win the game.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Well lots to digest from last night. Oh wait, now I have an upset stomach.

Burn the tape!!!

I posted during the game that it was a bad coaching decision to send out a rag tag group on the late first period PP and it resulted in a SH goal. That for me was the turning point. Flint never looked back after that and played like they wanted to win a playoff game. Windsor went into shock and never recovered.

Now can the Spits players shake that game off and turn it around Friday? Hockey history is full of teams that get stunned in a game and are never the same after and go away quietly. Just ask Florida. Friday is a must win for the Spits or it is all over. Flint I'm sure can taste blood and will be all in for the kill.

Spits win Friday it will likely go 7. Flint wins it might be over Sunday night. Either way a well rested Hamilton will be waiting in the wings. I do recall hearing how "great" Barrie was a few years back and they went out 4 straight. I still think either of the west teams will surprise Hamilton and make it a series.

And by the way I'm all in on Onuska. He was making some crazy saves to keep the Spits close. It was the rest of the team that let him down.

Go Spits Go!!!

N Da No

Jun 3, 2018
Well lots to digest from last night. Oh wait, now I have an upset stomach.

Burn the tape!!!

I posted during the game that it was a bad coaching decision to send out a rag tag group on the late first period PP and it resulted in a SH goal. That for me was the turning point. Flint never looked back after that and played like they wanted to win a playoff game. Windsor went into shock and never recovered.

Now can the Spits players shake that game off and turn it around Friday? Hockey history is full of teams that get stunned in a game and are never the same after and go away quietly. Just ask Florida. Friday is a must win for the Spits or it is all over. Flint I'm sure can taste blood and will be all in for the kill.

Spits win Friday it will likely go 7. Flint wins it might be over Sunday night. Either way a well rested Hamilton will be waiting in the wings. I do recall hearing how "great" Barrie was a few years back and they went out 4 straight. I still think either of the west teams will surprise Hamilton and make it a series.

And by the way I'm all in on Onuska. He was making some crazy saves to keep the Spits close. It was the rest of the team that let him down.

Go Spits Go!!!
Yes, the Spits definitely have the ability to come back. You just have to go back to Game 2 where they were definitely the dominant team. I said at the beginning that this series would go 6 games. The one thing that confronts the Spitfires currently is that they have to win a game in Flint with Flint playing their best hockey of the year on home ice, having won their last seven home playoff games. No, Windsor victory in Flint means no advancement into the finals. Your team has the capability to do it Spitfire fans.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
what is your obsession with Cullyle fighting?
If he fights and hurst his hand, wrist or shoulder what good would he be to the team then.
If he escapes injury, he has to sit in the box for 5 min. Cant score from the box either.
Either way, no way should he fight. Geez.

We were talking about the fight so I said who I'd rather see Piercey fight. I know, I know, you hate the idea of anyone sitting and not scoring. You'll survive.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
We were talking about the fight so I said who I'd rather see Piercey fight. I know, I know, you hate the idea of anyone sitting and not scoring. You'll survive.
I don’t think I want to see Cuylle or Perrott fight Piercey in the playoffs, as I believe Cuylle and Perrott are both more skilled, and more valuable to their team than Piercey.

I do think Cuylle and Perrott would have a much better result in a scrap with Piercey than Currie did, although Currie IMO held his own. Unfortunately it lit the arena on fire and the shorthanded goal swung it all the other way.

Personally, I want to see Abraham and Giroux go.

I think the only one Id want Cuylle to go with is Othmann. Yet the Spits have kept Othman very quiet. 1 point, an assist on an empty net goal in 3 games.

“6 Unanswered” doesn’t tell the whole story.

It was a one goal game until the final 45 seconds, in a third period in which Windsor controlled the majority of the play, after dominating the first, and being dominated in the second.

I think it’s silly to talk like Flint has won the series. The last time Flint beat Windsor, the next game they got out played for 60 minutes and lost 7-2, in a game when they were so deflated the second goal was celebrated less than a hole in one at a mini golf course.

That being said, I’ll feel a lot more uncomfortable down 1-3 vs. 1-2. But if Windsor can take Game 4, with Game 5 at home, I’d be worried in Flints position after seeing game 2.

Both crowds have been loud and entertaining. Great playoff atmospheres for this series, I’m truly bummed I’m missing the game tomorrow in Flint (those cookies are damn good) and wish this series could go another 5 games as how fun it’s been so far.

Oct 3, 2019
I don’t think I want to see Cuylle or Perrott fight Piercey in the playoffs, as I believe Cuylle and Perrott are both more skilled, and more valuable to their team than Piercey.

I do think Cuylle and Perrott would have a much better result in a scrap with Piercey than Currie did, although Currie IMO held his own. Unfortunately it lit the arena on fire and the shorthanded goal swung it all the other way.

I think the only one Id want Cuylle to go with is Othmann. Yet the Spits have kept Othman very quiet. 1 point, an assist on an empty net goal in 3 games.

It was a one goal game until the final 45 seconds, in a third period in which Windsor controlled the majority of the play, after dominating the first, and being dominated in the second.

I think it’s silly to talk like Flint has won the series. The last time Flint beat Windsor, the next game they got out played for 60 minutes and lost 7-2, in a game when they were so deflated the second goal was celebrated less than a hole in one at a mini golf course.

That being said, I’ll feel a lot more uncomfortable down 1-3 vs. 1-2. But if Windsor can take Game 4, with Game 5 at home, I’d be worried in Flints position after seeing game 2.

Both crowds have been loud and entertaining. Great playoff atmospheres for this series, I’m truly bummed I’m missing the game tomorrow in Flint (those cookies are damn good) and wish this series could go another 5 games as how fun it’s been so far.
Othman to skilled to fight Cuylle I guess, bad trade off for flint? Isn’t this what we are saying about our players?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

I too would not feel good if Flint makes it a 3-1 lead heading to game 5 in Windsor, after last nights encounter feel the same way after the game 1 loss at home,dont lose the next game,win in Flint and regain home ice advantage, up to the last game Spits special teams were outshining Flint's 3/10 on PP and 8/8 on the PK,laid an egg go 0-4 on the PP and 2/3 on the PP huge reason the comeback by Flint and eventual loss on the 4th goal that should have been disallowed due to goalie interference nice hometown call,hometown call hope Windsor gets 1 back home when game is on the line.
Expecting bounce back game Friday as they have done every time Windsor has lost a playoff game,have not lost 2 in a row yet, not the time to do so now.
One change I would make would be Christopoulos on the 2nd PP unit with Abraham and D'amico or put him with 55 and 13 on the #1 unit.
Miedema would come off the PP,probably would not be on either unit if Zito were healthy anyways at this time.
Onuska has to watch how he plays the puck behind the cage,his misplay caused a goal last night helping Flint's comeback.
As for Friday put last game results in the dumpster think ahead not behind,and Windsor will be fine, get the win and force a best 2/3 series in this one.
Go Spits Go.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Was waiting for a goalie interference comment. What’s everyones opinion. I saw it in multiple replays. Player went in on his own and that was enough for me to say no goal. Did O hang an arm over him? Yes. But was it to help himself get up? That you cant judge so it should be no goal imho. Was he trying to sell a call? Maybe but no different than want flint does all game. Pivotal swing for sure but lets be clear spits were playing terrible hockey too. Christopolus belongs on that first line no question!! Seen it in person those 3 click. Yea Mags is good enough to be there but you need a grit guy there. That for sure is a coaching error. Meidema is another, he may be a great player down the road, may not. But hes not right now and if he was mine hed be fourth line until his speed and hockey sense improve!!

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
U will too..

I too would not feel good if Flint makes it a 3-1 lead heading to game 5 in Windsor, after last nights encounter feel the same way after the game 1 loss at home,dont lose the next game,win in Flint and regain home ice advantage, up to the last game Spits special teams were outshining Flint's 3/10 on PP and 8/8 on the PK,laid an egg go 0-4 on the PP and 2/3 on the PP huge reason the comeback by Flint and eventual loss on the 4th goal that should have been disallowed due to goalie interference nice hometown call,hometown call hope Windsor gets 1 back home when game is on the line.
Expecting bounce back game Friday as they have done every time Windsor has lost a playoff game,have not lost 2 in a row yet, not the time to do so now.
One change I would make would be Christopoulos on the 2nd PP unit with Abraham and D'amico or put him with 55 and 13 on the #1 unit.
Miedema would come off the PP,probably would not be on either unit if Zito were healthy anyways at this time.
Onuska has to watch how he plays the puck behind the cage,his misplay caused a goal last night helping Flint's comeback.
As for Friday put last game results in the dumpster think ahead not behind,and Windsor will be fine, get the win and force a best 2/3 series in this one.
Go Spits Go.
Onuska should of got up instead.
The call could of went either way .
Not everything goes windsor way.

Reactions: K2

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Better said would have been the right way not Windsor 's way.
Not surprised by your comments, tough to get up when someone is on top of you,you would know if u played goal,I did so I know.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Was waiting for a goalie interference comment. What’s everyones opinion. I saw it in multiple replays. Player went in on his own and that was enough for me to say no goal. Did O hang an arm over him? Yes. But was it to help himself get up? That you cant judge so it should be no goal imho. Was he trying to sell a call? Maybe but no different than want flint does all game.

I can see both sides of this.

Should Onuska have touched the guy after he ran into him? No. That didn't help anything. However, none of it happens if the guy doesn't run into him in the first place. I don't blame Savard for being upset. If I'm the official, it's a goal but also goaltender interference.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
I can see both sides of this.

Should Onuska have touched the guy after he ran into him? No. That didn't help anything. However, none of it happens if the guy doesn't run into him in the first place. I don't blame Savard for being upset. If I'm the official, it's a goal but also goaltender interference.
You can see the official do the arm motion to Savard when explaining the call.

Without that, I think they waive it off.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Complaining about 1 call is soft. JMO. Seems to come up often after a Spits L. By the same posters. They had lots of opportunities to make plays during the game outside of 1 call. Guaranteed the players on both teams made more mistakes than the stripes. It's true every game. Why not call out the miscues that lead to other goals against or non goals for? Seems like excuse making.
Teflon, CFaub, DetspitsFan n others do that, look at all factors .....adds to the credibility of the discussion when ya look at all factors. Internal first and external after. That's what the pros n hockey people do.

Spits should respond well next game, and I think they will. JMO.
They were favoured for a reason, as in the 1st 2 series and that was earned not with excuses for Ls but battling thru games. Which they did all year.
Control what you can, battle thru what u can't.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Complaining about 1 call is soft. JMO. Seems to come up often after a Spits L. By the same posters.

To be fair, this was a rather large call during the middle of a momentum shift that really put the Spits behind. Just because "the same posters" are talking about it doesn't mean it's not worthy of being discussed.
Why not call out the miscues that lead to other goals against or non goals for? Seems like excuse making.

They have been... numerous times. I get the desire to call out "excuses" but that's really not what's happening here.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
To be fair, this was a rather large call during the middle of a momentum shift that really put the Spits behind. Just because "the same posters" are talking about it doesn't mean it's not worthy of being discussed.
They have been... numerous times. I get the desire to call out "excuses" but that's really not what's happening here.
Nah I disagree TG. Excuses. Consitent over years n years and never an acknowledgement of a call going Spits way lol. Its over 95%. Ill bet a couple Xlarge Capris pizza on it. Easy to look up. We can discuss the "posters in PM"

But when those posters have never ever ever acknowledged the other side of the coin........? It's excuses. It's consistent, it's a crutch, it's soft. JMO.
I look at internal mistakes. Just me. But I knew the refs would be brought up. Too easy. Even in Ws it is. All teams deal with it. Every team, but e posters highlight it for excuses all the time. Some tip their cap to opponents.
It's all good everyone sees it coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: windsor7

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

If you would like to talk about 1 call, how about when Terry touched the puck and knocked it out of the zone on the delayed penalty that they didn't whistle and then you came right back in and made it 3-0?

Tit for tat.

There's 2 calls, affecting 2 goals, 1 for each team.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Better said would have been the right way not Windsor 's way.
Not surprised by your comments, tough to get up when someone is on top of you,you would know if u played goal,I did so I know.
Its not always homers way.
Refs made a call.
Guess they r out against Windsor again..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad