Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread (Part 9)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I can see both sides of this.

Should Onuska have touched the guy after he ran into him? No. That didn't help anything. However, none of it happens if the guy doesn't run into him in the first place. I don't blame Savard for being upset. If I'm the official, it's a goal but also goaltender interference.
U cant call it both ways..

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If you would like to talk about 1 call, how about when Terry touched the puck and knocked it out of the zone on the delayed penalty that they didn't whistle and then you came right back in and made it 3-0?

Tit for tat.

There's 2 calls, affecting 2 goals, 1 for each team.
How we all didn't see the video evidence of the play made by Terry,plus Redmond said there was no complaints from Flint bench.
The video evidence for the winning goal dispute is existent, no video evidence no tit for tat.

Its not always homers way.
Refs made a call.
Guess they r out against Windsor again..
The right way is not a Homer's way.
And where I did I say out to get Windsor again.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
How we all didn't see the video evidence of the play made by Terry,plus Redmond said there was no complaints from Flint bench.
The video evidence for the winning goal dispute is existent, no video evidence no tit for tat.
Must be refs or linesman fault again...

Reactions: Savard18

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I do believe Windsor will win the series.
However they can not afford anymore games like game 3 or they r in trouble.
Better defense needed. Vets need to lead by example or start.

Reactions: oldPeng

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Nah I disagree TG. Excuses.

Disagree all you want but we're just discussing a rather major turning point in the game. No excuses and we've said as much during the game. It was an entirely horrible 20-30 minutes of hockey. That play simply contributed to the balance shift. If you call that an "excuse", that's on you, not us.
If you would like to talk about 1 call, how about when Terry touched the puck and knocked it out of the zone on the delayed penalty that they didn't whistle and then you came right back in and made it 3-0?

Okay?! I'm not doing the "yeah, but..." stuff on here, sorry. Find another poster to go at it with.

Can you pinpoint the exact spot of the off-side using that video?

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Disagree all you want but we're just discussing a rather major turning point in the game. No excuses and we've said as much during the game. It was an entirely horrible 20-30 minutes of hockey. That play simply contributed to the balance shift. If you call that an "excuse", that's on you, not us.
I very doubt u will ever agree about any "excuse". Always something...

Oct 3, 2019
Was waiting for a goalie interference comment. What’s everyones opinion. I saw it in multiple replays. Player went in on his own and that was enough for me to say no goal. Did O hang an arm over him? Yes. But was it to help himself get up? That you cant judge so it should be no goal imho. Was he trying to sell a call? Maybe but no different than want flint does all game. Pivotal swing for sure but lets be clear spits were playing terrible hockey too. Christopolus belongs on that first line no question!! Seen it in person those 3 click. Yea Mags is good enough to be there but you need a grit guy there. That for sure is a coaching error. Meidema is another, he may be a great player down the road, may not. But hes not right now and if he was mine hed be fourth line until his speed and hockey sense improve!!
So if I may put my 2 scents. Would he be ready if given the chance this year? He was stuck on a 4th line and never given a chance! Abraham was given a chance due to politics and in my opinion really hasn’t proven anything other than being able to skate in a circles.

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint

Okay?! I'm not doing the "yeah, but..." stuff on here, sorry. Find another poster to go at it with.

Can you pinpoint the exact spot of the off-side using that video?
No one said anything about offside. It's Terry clearly clearing the puck like 4-5 seconds into the video with the delayed penalty.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
The thing that surprises me is “Miedema isn’t ready for the pace of playoff games”. For the majority of these playoffs Flint has been running a pair of 16yo D in a ton of situations. Bertucci is out currently (no one seems to know exactly what’s up) and Petrovski’s minutes have been reduced this round though. The other 16yo is Ethan Hay. A 3rd round pick that has spent a majority of his ice time in the Western Conference Finals of all places being tasked with the job of shutting down who I’d consider the best offensive forward the league and he’s done considerably well while also chipping in a very important, game changing SH goal. Yet Miedema isn’t ready? I’d find that moderately concerning even with a couple other young Spits stepping up their game.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
No one said anything about offside. It's Terry clearly clearing the puck like 4-5 seconds into the video with the delayed penalty.

Ooooh, the touching of the puck? Sorry, I remembered the situation but forgot it was touching-up, rather than offside.

Edit: After watching replay - do you need to "touch" the puck, or be "in control" of it?

MJ5

Targeted Poster
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2016
Flint
Ooooh, the touching of the puck? Sorry, I remembered the situation but forgot it was touching-up, rather than offside.

Edit: After watching replay - do you need to "touch" the puck, or be "in control" of it?
Clear swipe out of the zone is whistled 99% of the time. It was just a poke.

That was the 1%.

Reactions: aresknights

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Tit for tat.

There's 2 calls, affecting 2 goals, 1 for each team.

I didn't see that, or the goalie call but seems par for the course in the OHL ( and NHL, AHL, GTHL.....) Bad calls happen to every team, every game, it sucks but....players n coaches make more mistakes every game was my point. Regs shouldn't be a crutch for every tough loss.

Grasping at straws?
I wasn't referring to you originally but this is a perfect example of perception bias. Which is cool. I get it. Fans being fans. Using refs calls as an excuse for a L, I don't get.

Maybe both the G and Flint player shoulda got a oenalty? Interference and embellishment since as cited here Onuska did play it up a bit ;)

And ya never know.....if the turning point as claimed by Spits finds here was overwhelmingly the fight or the shorthanded goal even if it was called off as some feel it should have been ( maybe correctly, maybe not) maybe Flint woulda just scored again with that momentum cited here?

Last edited:

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

The right way is not a Homer's way.
And where I did I say out to get Windsor again.
Ya did say you hope Windsor gets a Homer call next game at home. You posted it recently.
Do you want the advantage you are complaining about? (perception based advantage mind you)
If I thought something was wrong I wouldn't hope it happens again for the integrity of the game itself. Just me. I would the get it right next time.
2 wrongs don't make a right ;) (again your thought process not mine)

Has Windsor ever benefitted from a bad call I the last 15 years in a big game that turned the tide in their favor?

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI

Generally anywhere in between the two will get a whistle. You know that. Since it worked out for Windsor, it’s not gonna get mentioned here. Same as the boarding on Deline in game two that went uncalled right before Cuylle’s goal. They’re only even being mentioned now due to the complaints about calls going the other way. I’m not finger pointing at you. USUALLY you’re decent about seeing calls. The fourth goal issue though? The D hits the forward into Onuska a bit....and yes, there’s a bit of interference too. It got reviewed and still stood. I’d suggest Onuska gets up and plays goal next time instead of doing the gentle headlock attempt on the forward first.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Asking a question. Not everything on here has a weird motive lol
Never said weird motive.
You questioned a potential call that benefitted Spits, some didn't on a potential call on Flint. Both rules calls requiring interpretation on refs part
Both resulted in Gs shortly after.
Not weird at all, actually its expected.

Generally anywhere in between the two will get a whistle. You know that. Since it worked out for Windsor, it’s not gonna get mentioned here. Same as the boarding on Deline in game two that went uncalled right before Cuylle’s goal. They’re only even being mentioned now due to the complaints about calls going the other way. I’m not finger pointing at you. USUALLY you’re decent about seeing calls. The fourth goal issue though? The D hits the forward into Onuska a bit....and yes, there’s a bit of interference too. It got reviewed and still stood. I’d suggest Onuska gets up and plays goal next time instead of doing the gentle headlock attempt on the forward first.
Exactly. TY

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Same as the boarding on Deline in game two that went uncalled right before Cuylle’s goal. They’re only even being mentioned now due to the complaints about calls going the other way.

a) I don't recall that Deline hit in Game 2. Seriously. My memory comes and goes (and I HATE that) so I'll have to go look at the replay.

b) The "flint touch" probably should have been whistled down, esp if just a touch is needed (as opposed to full control... and I've seen it go both ways).

Edit: After watching replay, I remember that hit. I sat there and cringed, thinking it was a call.
Not weird at all, actually its expected.

Sorry if "yes" or "no" isn't always what you'll get. I like to dig a bit deeper sometimes. It's how my brain works, for better or worse.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
I didn't see that, or the goalie call but seems par for the course in the OHL ( and NHL, AHL, GTHL.....) Bad calls happen to every team, every game, it sucks but....players n coaches make more mistakes every game was my point. Regs shouldn't be a crutch for every tough loss.

Grasping at straws?
I wasn't referring to you originally but this is a perfect example of perception bias. Which is cool. I get it. Fans being fans. Using refs calls as an excuse for a L, I don't get.

Maybe both the G and Flint player shoulda got a oenalty? Interference and embellishment since as cited here Onuska did play it up a bit ;)

And ya never know.....if the turning point as claimed by Spits finds here was overwhelmingly the fight or the shorthanded goal even if it was called off as some feel it should have been ( maybe correctly, maybe not) maybe Flint woulda just scored again with that momentum cited here?
True

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
a) I don't recall that Deline hit in Game 2. Seriously. My memory comes and goes (and I HATE that) so I'll have to go look at the replay.

b) The "flint touch" probably should have been whistled down, esp if just a touch is needed (as opposed to full control... and I've seen it go both ways).

Edit: After watching replay, I remember that hit. I sat there and cringed, thinking it was a call.

Sorry if "yes" or "no" isn't always what you'll get. I like to dig a bit deeper sometimes. It's how my brain works, for better or worse.

No need for sorry, just saying I never said it was weird as you posted.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I have believed that possession is needed as frequently pucks will deflect off the defenders sticks or they’ll chip at it, but never have possession and the whistle won’t be blown until they do.

I don’t think all 16 year olds aren’t ready for the playoffs, I don’t think Meidema is ready for PP minutes in the playoffs, and is 4th line at best for the playoffs.

Abraham has done much more than skate in circles and I’m never worried when he touches the puck he’s going to softly give it up the other way.

Meidema scares me every time he’s out there he’s had so many giveaways, blind passes and miscues. He’ll eventually be great, this isn’t me hating on him personally, or forever. He just isn’t doing what’s needed of him to justify the minutes he’s getting. Is it partially because Windsor is so deep? Yes. Is it partially because he’s still growing into his body and figuring out how to perform at this level? Yes. Will he figure it out? Likely. Will he figure it out this month? Likely Not.

Is it because of politics? Not sure, I’m not in the room. Abraham is a “rookie” but is a year older due to the Covid Season.

If anyone was asked which one they want out there right now, I feel the choice is clear.

Abraham plays closer to Meidemas size where Meidemas playing like he’s Abrahams size.

I like Meidemas upside, but if he keeps getting knocked around out there, he won’t be a popular player in Windsor and we’ll probably get a return for him that seems fair, then he’ll have a change of scenery and go off. At 6’5” you wouldn’t think he’d be getting pushed around. May be he’s afraid to hit because of how likely he’s to be called at his size.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Refs are beginning to take note of the embellishing from the Flint side. They’re putting themselves in positions to make hits look worse than they are, and in my opinion, some calls have been let go because of how frequently flint makes tries to make everything look bad, which takes away penalties that are truly dangerous.

Reffing seemed rather fair. Flint chanting “Ref you suck” seems like a pretty interesting strategy, especially with how it was called (and wasn’t called) last night. If I’m officiating, it’s not going to do you any favors.

If anyone from CHL TV is reading, can we build in a “hide score” feature so I can watch past games without seeing the outcome starting the game? Unfortunately 6 months old plans are getting in the way of watching game 4 live.

Not directly Windsor related, but does anyone think Ladd/McDonald and the Battalion get one W against the Bulldogs tomorrow?

Reactions: aresknights

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Regarding Miedema - all kinds of talent/size/intelligence. I think the one thing he's lacking, which takes time, is getting used to the pace. Once he's involved in the play, he's fine, but it's that initial few seconds before hand that tends to be an issue. That can be worked on this summer, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad