Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Yes, the irony of Branch installing his son as a temp GM on 2 occasions of nepotism is certainly rich isn't it.

You would have thought that optics alone would have dictated some one else to hold those titles.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
So if what i have heard is correct Medina is now up to 6 feet. So same size as mikey. No hopefully his athletic ability is kinda close to his.

Reactions: windsor7

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Yes, the irony of Branch installing his son as a temp GM on 2 occasions of nepotism is certainly rich isn't it.

You would have thought that optics alone would have dictated some one else to hold those titles.
so it goes to show that a precedent has been set......they cant do anything on this with justification.

you guys are great..........:thumbu:

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
If the league blocked team sales of fathers buying teams so their sons could play for them there wouldn't be enough owners to support the league. Team is being sold for 12.8M - double what BB/PD/WR bought it for - no BoD would vote against the deal for that price point alone.

It's a done deal.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Here's a question:

If the Parekh boys are coming this weekend, as has been published, would the father bring them or someone else?

I'd imagine someone would recognize the father and questions would come up, no? You can't have something of this magnitude happen and NOBODY do that research. (and before anyone asks.. yes, I've done that research haha)

Wouldn't the father be there but just be out of sight? I am sure there are numerous places to be in the arena without being noticed, it's not hard.

comment ca va

Sep 18, 2018
If the league blocked team sales of fathers buying teams so their sons could play for them there wouldn't be enough owners to support the league. Team is being sold for 12.8M - double what BB/PD/WR bought it for - no BoD would vote against the deal for that price point alone.

It's a done deal.
Hey Ottomatic, is that Lori Loughlin in a Spits jersey on your profile picture? Lol

Reactions: NotTheAnswer90

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
So let me get this straight. Fans are writing letters to oppose owners who draft their sons, who otherwise wouldn't have enough talent to play in the league to a commissioner who has had his unqualified son appointed GM of teams where this has already happened, not once, but twice.

Keep me posted how that turns out.

No....you've missed the point.... the team has not been sold yet that's a big part of the problem

KyGuy9

Sep 7, 2012
Wrote to the commish - was a bit rushed and not as polished as I would usually write but I think I get my point accross.

Good day Mr. Branch,

I am writing to express my concern about the ongoing sale of the Windsor Spitfires to Dr. Azim Parakh. As a big fan of the Canadian Hockey League and junior hockey in general, I felt it was only right to support my fellow junior hockey fans, specifically those who support the Windsor Spitfires, in their resistance against this transaction. I truly believe that this sale would be harmful towards the integrity and reputation of the Ontario Hockey League considering all of the measures you and the other owners have taken to recover from the harmful actions of Rolf Nilsen in Flint and the Burgess family in Sudbury. For Dr. Parakh's sons to have been selected by the Spitfires in the 5th round of Saturday's draft and the 1st round of Wednesday's U-18 draft respectively is an injustice to the young players who have worked so hard for their shot at playing hockey in this wonderful league, and to the fans of not only the Windsor Spitfires, but of their opponents who will be paying their hard earned money to watch a product which could very well be tarnished by young men, who through no fault of their own, will be playing hockey way beyond their skill levels thanks to the flagrant, unfair nepotism which will inevitably result in yet another situation similar to the unfortunate yet embarrassing Connor Burgess fiasco in Sudbury just a few years ago.

I am not asking you to block what could be good business for the league, but to ensure the league, and more specifically the WIndsor Spitfires, their fans, and all involved to be spared the embarrassment of a situation similar to what occurred in Sudbury years ago. All we ask are for proactive safeguards to be installed in order to protect these two young men from the inevitable harassment and torment that no one can doubt Connor Burgess and Hakon Nilsen faced due to the actions of their fathers. No kid should have to be put through that, and no paying spectator should have to pay for a compromised product or to watch their team be so blatantly destroyed from the reckless and negligence of its ownership.

It would be naive of me to sit here and pretend that Sudbury's attendance in recent seasons is solely due to the damage caused by the Burgess fiasco, but we would be lying to ourselves to say that it no longer plays a factor in the distrust the community here feels towards the franchise. Dario Zulich has of course done a fantastic job in rebuilding the franchise from the ground-up, but I am sure that there are some if not many out there who will never be able to forgive the Burgess situation, and I cannot stand idle as the same thing begins to happen to another club.
So once again, I beg of you to please consider the wishes and well being of the supporters of the Windsor Spitfires and the community as a whole. Please do not allow for past mistakes to haunt what I truly believe is the best hockey league in the world, once again.

Thank you for your time.

No matter how this entire situation turns out, whether the voices of fans will have an impact or not, I hope you and every other person from all teams around the OHL who has expressed their opinion standing up for the Spitfires knows that the fans appreciate your effort and time. We may all be fans of different teams trying to achieve the same goal in winning the championship, but in the end, we are all the same - junior hockey fans. Going out of your way to help try and preserve the quality of another team shows a lot about everyone in this community.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
No....you've missed the point.... the team has not been sold yet that's a big part of the problem
Those 2 kids would have never seen the light of day from the old ownership, so to me its sold but waiting league approval.WR was taking orders on both draft days from the Bossman.

Reactions: windsor7

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Sure there is you go downstairs right near the Tim Hortons where the team's offices are. Or do you not think the new owner would be allowed down there???

I mean when the players are on the community rink ice. There aren't many places to be inconspicuous. If he's merely going to talk to the team, yeah, that's a different story... and you'd also get there much earlier.

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Lol someone get Don Cherry involved!! Used to talk with regularly but it’s been a while. He’d give someone an earful mark my words! If this guy doesn’t hire an advisor quickly he’s a bigger dummy than first thought. He seemingly can’t shut his mouth or say the right things. To me the only way he saves this is with a high profile team president hire and the agreement to stay hands off.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Lol someone get Don Cherry involved!! Used to talk with regularly but it’s been a while. He’d give someone an earful mark my words! If this guy doesn’t hire an advisor quickly he’s a bigger dummy than first thought. He seemingly can’t shut his mouth or say the right things. To me the only way he saves this is with a high profile team president hire and the agreement to stay hands off.

You just know Grapes would give his 2 cents and then some!! :laugh:

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I beleive its the limo driver bring them.......not Big Daddy.:laugh:

Sure the father is bringing them he owns the team, dont you know who he is.????:thumbd:
Dad's staying home with mama to start working on the 2034 draft picks!

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
He might get run out of Windsor
make no mistake rychel has made more money on this deal than his previous paychecks combined
I'd never trust the man again if I'm a coach or a head scout
sorry but rychel dont look good in this
maybe they need the money
his boy ended up in windsor in hindsight he was maybe mid level Nhl prospect likely heading to Europe soon

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015

It's a done deal.

I think it is more than your estimated amount for buying the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad