Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Correct me if I’m wrong but I think both Incze and Garagan had conditions attached to their deals which kick in if they play O/A seasons. If true you’d think both wouldn’t be here as O/A. Medina is a great add by WR who has been beaten upon severely in the last week. Unfortunately for him he is the face of the Spitfires.
Have you seen or have you heard anything from Bob Boughner or the Cyphur group? Nary a word. Between the two groups (who own 92%) of the team you think someone would have taken a bit of the pressure off WR’s shoulders....

As far as I know, there was a condition on the Gargan deal (higher draft pick to Hamilton). I don't recall hearing one for Incze. They gave up a fourth, though, so...

Not a peep from Boughner nor the Savages. That said, Boughner just got let go in Florida so being pre-occupied is understandable. The Savages also aren't known for being overly public with comments; more the "silent partner", if you will.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Medina deal could have been completed weeks ago. It usually takes some time to get through the system. With playoffs, drafts, etc. it's not like the teams and league haven't been busy. Or they were just waiting for this day?

Reactions: OHLTG

NotTheAnswer90

Apr 7, 2019
Spoke with a players parents briefly today. Safe to say they are VERY concerned with the direction things are heading. Parents on the team have reached out to each eachother and are waiting to see how things transpire (only thing they can do). Fans are not the only ones unhappy with the last couple weeks I can tell you that.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'd think this "State of the Spitfires" thing is necessary now. Not only to get all the facts out there, that can be out there, but to calm fears.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
as a bunch of whiny Windsor fans ( yes we sometimes whine but this one is different).

Self recognition is the first step towards personal improvement. Of course just screwing with you and I do love the “but this one is different”. Your entire post contained excellent content.
Money can buy most things it appears and throwing this one along with the University Admitance Scam down south what do these parents think they are showing their kids? I feel somewhat for these 2 kids and hope the Windsor faithful take it easy on them at this weekends camp. They have been shamelessly humiliated enough in front of their peers by people that are supposed to be protecting them.

Reactions: sbpointer

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
From Windsor Star:

Medina is coming in to backup Piiroinen. He said he wasn't happy about what happened with Piiroinen, but going to Oakland gave him a chance to mature and develop his game. it was a good thing and he's ready to play in Windsor now. WR also said they're not giving up on Piiroinen because "We can’t give up on Kari. It’s a learning experience and I know he struggled a little after Mikey left, but you can’t give up on the best goalie (in his age group) in Europe.”

Spitfires sign former third-round pick Medina to battle Piiroinen in net

Opinionated

Mar 27, 2014
While it does appear that there is a risk of the current situation turning the Spits into a travesty for the next few years, the league will not step in to stop any sale/purchase transaction. Their bylaws likely don't have any clauses that would keep out an owner will to pay the bills and to pay the current owners to leave. And even if they did, the league would risk creating liability for itself by not allowing the current owners to divest.

Further, while the optics will be lousy in Windsor, it is likely only the new owner that will suffer. Fans will not stop going to games in Guelph (for example) when Windsor is in town just because of the owner . . . they are buying tickets to see Guelph play, not the visiting team. (I contemplated using Mississauga as the example here, but their attendance is the one that might be the exception to this generality).

The only way fans can make a difference in this case would be to boycott Windsor games wherever they are being played. That would hurt the other owners in their own pocketbooks, and make them think twice about continuing to allow this type of nepotism in the league. But this would only affect the future -- nothing can be done about the current potential new ownership in Windsor.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
While fans won't stop going to other games outside of Windsor, the league has to realize how bad this looks on them as a whole. You can't say "well, the other 19 teams are doing well, so team 20 doesn't really matter." Branch already got firm with Flint when their situation happened. I doubt he wants another black eye on the league, especially this soon.

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
If AP has not followed the "rules", why wouldn't the league step in and enforce their procedures? Rogue leaders will only break down the balance in the OHL.

Play by the rules or you don't play!!!!!

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Really feel bad for you guys. Ill send an email to branch as well speaking as a Wolves fan and how awful the Burgess situation was for us.

Worst of all, this won't end well, especially since Barclay Branch will inevitably be assigned as your GM for 3+ years in a few seasons from now if this isn't stopped, and there is legitimacy behind the statement that he is possibly the worst OHL GM of all time.

Reactions: sbpointer

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I just hope that WR is the last one off the sinking ship and finds good situations for the players that he has recruited and brought into the fold. It would be a real blow to his reputation in the industry to leave these kids with futures in the game high and dry to deal with this debacle. I'm hopeful he has the same mindset and does the right thing moving those kids before the toxicity of the situation escalates as predictably it will.

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
While it does appear that there is a risk of the current situation turning the Spits into a travesty for the next few years, the league will not step in to stop any sale/purchase transaction. Their bylaws likely don't have any clauses that would keep out an owner will to pay the bills and to pay the current owners to leave. And even if they did, the league would risk creating liability for itself by not allowing the current owners to divest.

Further, while the optics will be lousy in Windsor, it is likely only the new owner that will suffer. Fans will not stop going to games in Guelph (for example) when Windsor is in town just because of the owner . . . they are buying tickets to see Guelph play, not the visiting team. (I contemplated using Mississauga as the example here, but their attendance is the one that might be the exception to this generality).

The only way fans can make a difference in this case would be to boycott Windsor games wherever they are being played. That would hurt the other owners in their own pocketbooks, and make them think twice about continuing to allow this type of nepotism in the league. But this would only affect the future -- nothing can be done about the current potential new ownership in Windsor.
I disagree about the liability involved in keeping put a new owner and I cited the Jim Balsillie situation in the previous thread. Where this will hurt the owners if they don't react is when it comes to new players. Parents are already talking about this situation and keeping a close eye on it

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I believe Craig Goslin (Saginaw Spirit) is still part of the executive council for the board of governors. I ended up writing him a letter voicing my concerns about the situation. Just trying to show some solidarity with another OHL fan base that shouldn't be having this happen to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad