Speculation: Willy Nilly XX

Which contract would you sign if you were William Nylander

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Its either coming from Leafs management or these media guys are flat out bsing.

I guess I'm missing something. What's been reported? All I've heard is speculation that Willie's camp wants Draisaitl money, while the Leafs are thinking more like Pastrnak. Again, all speculation.

Reactions: Maple Leafs

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I guess I'm missing something. What's been reported? All I've heard is speculation that Willie's camp wants Draisaitl money, while the Leafs are thinking more like Pastrnak. Again, all speculation.
And not overly disparaging....

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
are you guys ok with Leaf management (dubas?) leaking info to the media supposedly and making Willie look bad? Im bothered by that ...
Leaking? Why do you think he is leaking? Is Nylander not at all responsible for looking bad on his own?

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Trading him is the worst thing the Leafs could do - even if he's not bluffing which i think he is, let him sit out the year. Next year they're back to square one and Nylander is now out 6.5mil. Is he going to risk a 2nd year and then be out 13mil total? And he will still will have zero leverage if it goes to a 3rd year where it becomes 19.5mil. His leverage kicks when he's an UFA at age 27, 5 long years from now lol. And forget about arbitration, he won't qualify for that unless he plays another season

Zero chance a productive relationship is made between team and player in that situation. Who cares if you sign him for a great contract when he just mails it in every game begging to be traded.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
This is what I dont understand. Dubas made it sound as though the young core guys were approached when the Tavares courting was happening and they all said, "hell yeah get JT, we'll make it work!" Now this.

Was Dubas just assuming everyone would fall in line? Or is he getting double-crossed?

My personally thought is Dubas assumed that this core wanted to win first and foremost. I think he is now coming to terms that at least 1 of them wants to get paid first and foremost and there is a very real chance at least one other does as well. I don't blame Nylander or anyone else, as long as he didn't string along anyone prior to this. If Dubas and and Shanny just assumed he would fall into line, their mistake and they should own it. If something else happened, I have a feeling we would have heard about it by now. From what we know, only Marner was heavily involved with the JT recruitment, I expect he has no problem taking a discount because of this, but we have very little insight into how much Matthews or Nylander cared about it. Sure, they talked to him on the phone, but that is essentially bare minimum and it's not unreasonable to assume he would just stay put so why not save face. Gotta remember how unprecedented it is for a franchise UFA 1C to walk at UFA, it just doesn't happen.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
My personally thought is Dubas assumed that this core wanted to win first and foremost. I think he is now coming to terms that at least 1 of them wants to get paid first and foremost and there is a very real chance at least one other does as well. I don't blame Nylander or anyone else, as long as he didn't string along anyone prior to this. If Dubas and and Shanny just assumed he would fall into line, their mistake and they should own it. If something else happened, I have a feeling we would have heard about it by now. From what we know, only Marner was heavily involved with the JT recruitment, I expect he has no problem taking a discount because of this, but we have very little insight into how much Matthews or Nylander cared about it. Sure, they talked to him on the phone, but that is essentially bare minimum and it's not unreasonable to assume he would just stay put so why not save face. Gotta remember how unprecedented it is for a franchise UFA 1C to walk at UFA, it just doesn't happen.

Why wouldn't anyone want another great player to join their team? It will be disappointing to me if Matthews turns out as a guy who just wants to get paid first and foremost or that he didn't care for JT joing the team.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Every player wants a fair deal.

If this was all about some fabled Maple Leaf Renaissance we’d be at the cap minimum.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
no NHL team is calling Willies camp while he is in negotiation with the Leafs, enough with this talk.
What exactly do you think agents do for all the money they make? They are involved in everything. It is their jobs to know where the opportunities are to be ready to present their client in the best possible way. You are totally naïve. Do you think the Hurricanes are making blind offers for a trade before a discussion with the agent?

Reactions: coupe93

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
If the 8 million number was bogus it would have been debunked by now. It's very real.

You don't go into mid October not being signed because your off by a few hundred thousand. You play hardball when you're off by millions.

The fact he won't sign a bridge tends to point toward wanting a trade by forcing the teams hand. His father did this same nonsense.

Also, another agent was on record like 2 weeks talking about this makes no sense from an agents point of view. In his opinion, other people have to be involved that are overriding the agent.

And I'm pretty sure Williams father is involved with William in a business sense (Agent in Sweden or something of the like).

People blaming the agent are way off.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
If the 8 million number was bogus it would have been debunked by now. It's very real.

You don't go into mid October not being signed because your off by a few hundred thousand. You play hardball when you're off by millions.

The fact he won't sign a bridge tends to point toward wanting a trade by forcing the teams hand. His father did this same nonsense.

Maybe they are off on term?

Leafs may want a bridge. He doesn’t.

That’s where a significant gap could be.

There’s no evidence they have agreed on term but not AAV.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Maybe they are off on term?

Leafs may want a bridge. He doesn’t.

That’s where a significant gap could be.

There’s no evidence they have agreed on term but not AAV.

We have official word on term - it's been that both sides want a longterm contract.

I think it's simple. Nylander wants way to much (8+ million) on a long term, and then a short-term contract could be an issue with both term and money.

Apparently leafs were offering something in the 4's for a bridge and the Nylander camp was at 6's - which means still 2 milly apart.

He doesn't want to be here.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
We have official word on term - it's been that both sides want a longterm contract.

I think it's simple. Nylander wants way to much (8+ million) on a long term, and then a short-term contract could be an issue with both term and money.

Apparently leafs were offering something in the 4's for a bridge and the Nylander camp was at 6's - which means still 2 milly apart.

Again, all these are are leaked reports.

I don’t have a dog in the fight but I would suggest that the Leafs have more to gain by “leaking” numbers that put pressure on the player. True numbers or not.

Nylander hasn’t demanded a trade. Leafs apparently don’t want to move him.

A deal gets done.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
50 million - taxes - escrow - expenses -living = doesn’t leave as much as you’d think.

still leaves many multi-millions. An outrageous amount of money to last several lifetimes. It would take us centuries upon centuries upon centuries of normal 9-5 work to ever make even half the amount he'll make in only 10-12 years even after his "taxes - escrow - expenses -living "

please don't tell me you're losing sight of that

Reactions: Nooodles

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

What if you bridge Willie at 4 mil aav and then Marner signs for 80 mil and Matthews 100 mil next summer. Im thinking we will be right back here again when the bridge is over.

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
What if you bridge Willie at 4 mil aav and then Marner signs for 80 mil and Matthews 100 mil next summer. Im thinking we will be right back here again when the bridge is over.

Well, the sad thing is keeping Nylander comes down to the three contracts, doesn't it?

It starts with Nylanders sure, but if we get Nylander at 6.5 for 8 and then Marner hauls in 9-10 and Matthews 12.5/13... well I don't think we can make it work.

Having said that - a bridge is the single best option Nylander has. Build value, his next contract comes up after MnM sign and we go from there. He still controls his own destiny to a certain extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad