Which contract would you sign if you were William Nylander

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
You entirely ignored the second part of my post, which is equally important. You stated he should be happy with 6.5m and the chance to win the Cup on a contender (the Leafs). Do you know what a 6.5m contract makes William Nylander? An extremely tradeable asset if Dubas decides we need a Dman. Why should he take a "discount" to play for a contender, when that contender could then turn around and trade him to Arizona next week?

I ignored it because it’s irrelevant what he wants. The current situation is as follows:
- Takes a cut on the paycheck to a more realistic value, can start playing with the team again. Yes, he might be traded but thats life. No other team is willing to put up $8 anyway so.
-Remains unsigned. Plays in Austria or whatever for $100’. Is traded next season anyhow.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Michael Nylander made about $40 million US during his career. Let's not act like he was some sort of victim...
Nobody acted like it, either? All I did was explain how he works.

I'm okay with him sitting all year and make him beg to come back.

Then we does come back next summer, ship him to Carolina.
So what you want is petty decisions that hurt us?

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Weird thing is the player this is hurting the most is Kadri. Without Willy our winger depth dropped off to the point that he's playing with Lindholm (a guy penciled in as a 4th liner, but he's doing ok regardless) and Brown who has been.. not too great to start the year.

Adding either Kapanen, Marner or Nylander to his wing would give him some speed and skill to work with.

Matthews is fine without Willy production wise but Kadri is feeling his absence down the lineup.

Reactions: Macallan18

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Sounds legit and fair to you?
  • Willie @ 48 mil
  • Marner @ 70-80 mil
  • Matthews @ 100-120 mil

At the end of Nylanders elc he was a (lol) 20 goal/ 60 point guy. Marner and Matthews have already showed better numbers, and are this season on their last elc year. With the way things are going, you really think they won’t vastly surpass Nylanders numbers?

So I’m not sure about those specific contracts above... but Nylander should make FAR less money than Marner and Matthews.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Sounds legit and fair to you?
  • Willie @ 48 mil
  • Marner @ 70-80 mil
  • Matthews @ 100-120 mil

No, the Marner and Matthews numbers are ridiculous. Not sure how it makes any sense for a small group of players on the team to make the absolute maximum and then have to play with a bunch of AHL level teammates because all the team will be able to afford to pay anyone else is 1-2 mil a year. recipe for an Edmonton Oilers style perpetual bottom feeder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm as pissed off with this situation as anybody but this seems pretty pointless to me

you guys have no sense of humor.

George Bell during contract negotiations with the Blue Jays after winning the MVP had to listen while the BLUEJAYS tried to downplay his accomplishments. He replied with. ok I'll sign but I want a bonus if I win comeback player of the year.

Always room for humor.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
So far in his career Marner is a .84 PPG player. Although it’s early in the season, Marner is at 1.38 PPG.

Nylander is .73 PPG and currently not playing.

Odds are Marner is getting paid more. Especially if he finishes at .89-.90 PPG.
Chances of keeping all 4 are slim if someone isn’t taking a sweet deal.
Matthews will probably get 13 + % of the cap.
Marner possibly 10 %.

If Willy is to get more, the others need to take less. If not, I don’t see all 4 staying. In this case if Nylander thinks someone will have to moved at some point, he wants his money. So he’s paid in Toronto, Carolina, Calgary, wherever.

Reactions: The Rat King

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Nylander's group is allowed to talk to other teams. You don't think they are aware of his demands?
Exactly and if a trade happens William has to be the one to find a team willing to pay him. That team will either offer sheet or try and work a trade with us. No sense in us shopping him, William can just say not playing there.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
If you didnt take the 7x7, you would be insane. This is a no brainer. You dont jusy ignore 13 mil difference for one season.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
This is a complete no brainer.

First off, I have to think he'd sign 7 x $7M.

Secondly, that 6 year deal is a non starter. It might as well be 6 x $1M

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Exactly and if a trade happens William has to be the one to find a team willing to pay him. That team will either offer sheet or try and work a trade with us. No sense in us shopping him, William can just say not playing there.
Yeah, he will soon find out that not a single team in the league will offer-sheet him for $8mil - he and his father are living in a fantasy world. This whole thing will go to the deadline - more money for Will and smaller cap hit for the Leafs

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
The word "entitlement" is starting to come to mind, and I've resisted that characterization of Willie since we drafted him.
The guy's being a prick. Sorry its just how I feel. Very good hockey player. Not sure how I feel about him as a human being.

(here comes the millionaire defence force)

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
You don't trade away a 22 year old player with his skill set - you just DON'T - some of you need to go back and look at the highlights from last year - he's by far the Leafs best skater with the puck and one of the top 5v5 player's in the league - The Leafs have zero chance of winning the cup without him.

Reactions: Menzinger

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I'd be very disappointed in the Leafs if they hadn't offered a 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 year deals. Apparently both sides want a long term deal bu that hasn't worked has it. The Leafs have the leverage now but still, it's only right a bridge is being offered.
You would hope that they could agree at least on one of the "years", and "S"

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
Dubas needs to do whatever it takes to sign this guy long term - there are only 5 untouchables on this team - the obvious 4 and Rielly - if they need to trade a Kadri or whomever to make the cap work then that's the way has to be - with Kadri the Leafs save 4.5M cap hit for 4 years and will make signing Nylander, AM and MM that much easier

Last edited:
Reactions: freshwind

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I don't get the anger and why the majority of it is directed towards Willie.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! we're just frustrated with the guy. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh its just my opinion ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i have a hard time empathizing with millionaires ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
im sorry

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Weird thing is the player this is hurting the most is Kadri. Without Willy our winger depth dropped off to the point that he's playing with Lindholm (a guy penciled in as a 4th liner, but he's doing ok regardless) and Brown who has been.. not too great to start the year.

Adding either Kapanen, Marner or Nylander to his wing would give him some speed and skill to work with.

Matthews is fine without Willy production wise but Kadri is feeling his absence down the lineup.

1. Its still early - some great players still have no points.

2. Kadris been getting better and better and heating up.

3. I know what you mean. Last year great example.

4. Adding to the thread : I have a feeling once willy signs he will score a highlight reel goal, and all will be forgotten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad