Player Discussion William Nylander

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Well something flapped him when he broke his stick on the bench 2 games ago. I like the show of emotion though.
Emotion is good, gotta have emotion, just have to keep it under control.

When I say he's unflappable, I don't mean he's an emotionless robot. I mean that never seems to let the circus that the sports media/fans are in this town get to him. If people are praising him, or running him out of town, it's all the same to him. He just goes out there and does his thing.

On the other end of the spectrum is Marner who usually looks oh so uncomfortable when facing the media. Maybe he should hire Willie as his PR guy and let him do his interviews. :)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Emotion is good, gotta have emotion, just have to keep it under control.

When I say he's unflappable, I don't mean he's an emotionless robot. I mean that never seems to let the circus that the sports media/fans are in this town get to him. If people are praising him, or running him out of town, it's all the same to him. He just goes out there and does his thing.

On the other end of the spectrum is Marner who usually looks oh so uncomfortable when facing the media. Maybe he should hire Willie as his PR guy and let him do his interviews. :)
William likes the spotlight, I always said we need players with the shine the light on me personality.

Reactions: Menzinger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Wonder if he'd get more ice time if his line scored less?

1729613595173.png

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Offensively he is producing like he wants to get run out of town atm

7 in 7... those are terrible numbers

Hopefully as team gets better offensively his numbers go up and he gives up 90-100 pts to come close to being worth 10-11M

Him and Marner have produced the most of the big 4 forwards but all have disapointed heavily so far

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

Hopefully as team gets better offensively his numbers go up and he gives up 90-100 pts to come close to being worth 10-11M

Him and Marner have produced the most of the big 4 forwards but all have disapointed heavily so far
I kinda get what your saying?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Ugh. He is almost at a goal a game.

The PP stinks. I doubt it's because WN. Maybe the two playmaker MO and MM and the old man JT need a look

Reactions: arso40

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ugh. He is almost at a goal a game.

The PP stinks. I doubt it's because WN. Maybe the two playmaker MO and MM and the old man JT need a look
At 11.5M I need him finishing top 5-7 for the ross

Matthews top 3 for the hart+rocket

Marner top 5-7 for the ross as well

Doubt any of them will live up to that though. Maybe Matthews.

Severe overpayments will result in very high expectations for the core

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023

7 in 7 is TERRIBLE? How about you relax a bit and wait until they've played another 10-15 games or so and then we can determine just how overpaid they are. There are plenty of other elite players that are at a similar pace to start the season, so to call it terrible just because he isn't producing at a monster rate right out of the gate seems a bit ridiculous to me.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
At 11.5M I need him finishing top 5-7 for the ross

Matthews top 3 for the hart+rocket

Marner top 5-7 for the ross as well

Doubt any of them will live up to that though. Maybe Matthews.

Severe overpayments will result in very high expectations for the core
So m n m playing together with Knies should put up the same amount as Nylander with lesser wingers and less ice time ? Right right

Reactions: IronHookem

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
7 in 7 is TERRIBLE? How about you relax a bit and wait until they've played another 10-15 games or so and then we can determine just how overpaid they are. There are plenty of other elite players that are at a similar pace to start the season, so to call it terrible just because he isn't producing at a monster rate right out of the gate seems a bit ridiculous to me.
HE wanted the Matthews/Marner money

7 in 7 is horrific for that level of production

I do agree we will wait a bit longer ajd see how his season goes, but he should be feeling the heat and getting ready to be hated on if he cant be a 100ish pt player at minimum this year

So m n m playing together with Knies should put up the same amount as Nylander with lesser wingers and less ice time ? Right right
No excuses for 88, he is playing with domi who has been the best center on the team and is continuing his play from a strong playoffs last year. McMann is also on his line and he has been as productive as Knies so far.

100 pts is an acceptable year for a 11.5M player

He needs to produce, without having excuses made for him.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

I do agree we will wait a bit longer ajd see how his season goes, but he should be feeling the heat and getting ready to be hated on if he cant be a 100ish pt player at minimum this year
He produces like them without playing with them where’s the same standard for the guys who’ve been paid 11 mill for the last 6 7 years?

No excuses for 88, he is playing with domi who has been the best center on the team and is continuing his play from a strong playoffs last year. McMann is also on his line and he has been as productive as Knies so far.

So what has been marner and jts excuse this whole time? Why is the narrative changing to the guy who just joined the boys club a couple months ago?

Reactions: Madap and Confucius

ER89

Jul 25, 2018

Agreed

But look at his line mates vs Marner and Matthews

Matthews needs to carry his own line with Domi, Marner the same and Willy the same.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He produces like them without playing with them where’s the same standard for the guys who’ve been paid 11 mill for the last 6 7 years?
Nylander got praised when producing less then them for 7M

Nylander had 1 year he produced like them which was 2023-2024.

Now that he is getting paid like them, he needs to be a 100+ player like 34 and 16 have been pacing for since 2019ish

Marner is getting a ton of hate (deserved in a lot of cases) for his current 7 in 7 start. Go read the Marner thread for example

Matthews is often given a lot of leeway here but he is the best player in TML history and has more awards then MM or WN will ever touch. So he gets some more leeway but at 13.25M 5 pts in 7 games is gross.

Very very small sample size, so hopefully they all bounce back, but these three guys if they dont will deserve every ounce of hate that comes their way for failure to produce

Reactions: ACC1224

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
He got paid more than his comparable after a 61 goal, 113 point season where he led his team to the best record ever. Please don't be too harsh on our sweet prince Willy. 🥺

• Haha

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023

Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Pettersson & Matthews are all below him in PPG with similar or greater contracts, I guess they are just equally terrible or worse.

I don't disagree with you that with more money = more expectations, I just think its way too early to call someone overpaid. Last season Matthews had a stint where he didn't score in like 9 or 10 games in a row early on (it was 1 goal in 9 games, looked it up), and we all know what happened after that...

Last edited:

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Nylander got praised when producing less then them for 7M

Nylander had 1 year he produced like them which was 2023-2024.

Now that he is getting paid like them, he needs to be a 100+ player like 34 and 16 have been pacing for since 2019ish

Marner is getting a ton of hate (deserved in a lot of cases) for his current 7 in 7 start. Go read the Marner thread for example

Matthews is often given a lot of leeway here but he is the best player in TML history and has more awards then MM or WN will ever touch. So he gets some more leeway but at 13.25M 5 pts in 7 games is gross.

Very very small sample size, so hopefully they all bounce back, but these three guys if they dont will deserve every ounce of hate that comes their way for failure to produce
Right. 40 Goals 43 assists 83 points is totally not comparable to 30 goals 60 assists 90 points.

Do you just slurp whatever makes you feel good?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Right. 40 Goals 43 assists 83 points is totally not comparable to 30 goals 60 assists 90 points.

Nylander had 80 pts in 81 in 2022 vs 97 pts in 72 for marner (assuming thats your comparison)

Then 87 in 82 pts vs 99 in 80 pts

Last year 98 in 82 vs 85 in 69

Total past 3 years

Nylander = 265 in 245 or ~89 per 82

Marner = 281 pts in 221 games or ~104 pts per 82

15 per gap per 82 pasy 3 years

I dont care for marner but he has ofcouse been a 100+ pace player past three years and even that isnt enough for ~11M

At 11.5M nylander needs to be 100+ pt player at minimum

Reactions: ACC1224

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

One guys passing to the roccet winner other guy is passing to stone hands jt

Nylander had 80 pts in 81 in 2022 vs 97 pts in 72 for marner (assuming thats your comparison)

Then 87 in 82 pts vs 99 in 80 pts

Last year 98 in 82 vs 85 in 69

Total past 3 years

Nylander = 265 in 245 or ~89 per 82

Marner = 281 pts in 221 games or ~104 pts per 82

15 per gap per 82 pasy 3 years

I dont care for marner but he has ofcouse been a 100+ pace player past three years and even that isnt enough for ~11M

At 11.5M nylander needs to be 100+ pt player at minimum
Playing beside Matthew during the years you speak of what’s Nylander stats with Matthews?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
One guys passing to the roccet winner other guy is passing to stone hands jt

Playing beside Matthew during the years you speak of what’s Nylander stats with Matthews?

Mitch cried about not playing with Matthews. Wonder why. Of course the Rocketman is going to jack up your numbers 20% or more.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Mitch cried about not playing with Matthews. Wonder why. Of course the Rocketman is going to jack up your numbers 20% or more.
Take him off that line and force him to score more cause everyone knows what he’s gonna do he’s just good enough to sometimes still pull it off

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad