Player Discussion William Nylander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Last 5 years, which is reasonable, as it is recent trend and large sample size.
Note the ages are very similar except #2GOAT goal scorer.
1717689001396.png

Reactions: Menzinger

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Of the four Leafs with > 30 playoff games over the last 5 years, ES g/60:

Matthews - .88
Nylander - .83
Tavares - .81
Marner - .50

Or just goals:

Nylander - 17
Matthews - 13
Tavares - 10
Marner - 6
I know none of them step up to be worthy of their cap hits. Those numbers confirm ,that across the board ,we’re not getting our moneys worth from a single one of them.

• Haha
Reactions: mjd1001 and ULF_55

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Considering that three of the four were making $11M each and one was making $7M, we're a lot closer the getting our moneys worth from one.
Willy has produced for his cap hit you don't have to sugar coat it these guys can lump them in to take the heat off their favorite players but the facts are still the facts willy will be judged harsher going forward but he's the least of the issues among the core

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Willy has produced for his cap hit you don't have to sugar coat it these guys can lump them in to take the heat off their favorite players but the facts are still the facts willy will be judged harsher going forward but he's the least of the issues among the core
Having players that can exceed their cap hit on a core is another critical part of putting a team together.
Nylander was pretty much the only guy who was going to do it.
Paying Matthews and Marner more money now, doesn’t make them better players.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Having players that can exceed their cap hit on a core is another critical part of putting a team together.
Nylander was pretty much the only guy who was going to do it.
Paying Matthews and Marner more money now, doesn’t make them better players.
He’ll never live up to that contract imo, he definitely deserved a raise, but that number he was signed to is ridiculous……..

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
He’ll never live up to that contract imo, he definitely deserved a raise, but that number he was signed to is ridiculous……..
Yeah not anymore. Which is all the more important reason not to make the same mistake giving the other guy more.
2 double digit forwards is enough moving forward.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Estimated Career Earnings
Tooltip
: $95,141,463

Tooltip
: $52,995,000
Tooltip
: $52,133,000

Tooltip
: $37,999,427

Reactions: arso40

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I am still surprised at the amount.
If I were to guess his agent wasn't going to let him sign without getting some "backpay" involved.
Yeah, I can't see him earning all of it, but did the others earn their compensation?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Willy is a gamer. He's the guy who used to take all of the heat in the media, Kypreos and a bunch of others would always rant about how he should have been traded for a defenceman or that the guy would be soft forever. Willy had to sign first, sat out half the year for 7m (did suck the rest of that year to be fair) and then watched his teammates all get 11m. He spends time on PP2, gets shuffled around the lineup based on Marner's horoscope, and hears his name in trade rumours every summer.

Willy has never breathed a word of complaint. Never done anything but get into the gym and work on his game. He goes hard to the net, adjusts his game in the playoffs to score (he couldn't when he was younger), and when things get tough, he tells his teammates to QUIT CRYING BRO.

Nylander isn't a talented enough player to win a series or a cup by himself. He isn't a physical menace who is going to take over the fanbase's imagination the way that Wendel Clark did. He's not even a big leader like Sundin or Gilmour. But what he is, is a player who's good enough to win with. He's not a playoff dud, he's got the guts for it and will find ways to contribute.

And now that I've sung his praises, all I can do is let the air out of the bag with his new contract. Woof, what an absolute disaster that is. Nylander is a player you can win with, but I highly, highly doubt that he's going to be an 11.5m player for very much of it. That's a UFA-style career year overpayment in all of its glory. I can't blame him for wanting to settle the score with the team after the last six years of watching his teammates make that money while he takes all the heat, but hoooo boy I'm not going to pretend it's good for the team.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Willy is a gamer. He's the guy who used to take all of the heat in the media, Kypreos and a bunch of others would always rant about how he should have been traded for a defenceman or that the guy would be soft forever. Willy had to sign first, sat out half the year for 7m (did suck the rest of that year to be fair) and then watched his teammates all get 11m. He spends time on PP2, gets shuffled around the lineup based on Marner's horoscope, and hears his name in trade rumours every summer.

Willy has never breathed a word of complaint. Never done anything but get into the gym and work on his game. He goes hard to the net, adjusts his game in the playoffs to score (he couldn't when he was younger), and when things get tough, he tells his teammates to QUIT CRYING BRO.

Nylander isn't a talented enough player to win a series or a cup by himself. He isn't a physical menace who is going to take over the fanbase's imagination the way that Wendel Clark did. He's not even a big leader like Sundin or Gilmour. But what he is, is a player who's good enough to win with. He's not a playoff dud, he's got the guts for it and will find ways to contribute.

And now that I've sung his praises, all I can do is let the air out of the bag with his new contract. Woof, what an absolute disaster that is. Nylander is a player you can win with, but I highly, highly doubt that he's going to be an 11.5m player for very much of it. That's a UFA-style career year overpayment in all of its glory. I can't blame him for wanting to settle the score with the team after the last six years of watching his teammates make that money while he takes all the heat, but hoooo boy I'm not going to pretend it's good for the team.
Nicely stated.

Reactions: LeafGrief

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Earning it is going to be tough.

Needs to be around 110 Belak points.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

100% ... I even said way back he had the potential to overtake the big 3. In some respects its true. If winning in the playoffs is your thing WN is better than MM for sure. If its zone entries, again. He is also proving to be clutch and signed long term commitment. Overpay but the team sort of underpaid him to begin with and jerked him around a lot.

I like him today as a player. A bit soft but not soft to the point you want to fire him out of the clown canon like MM

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Nice summary of the Nylander saga………

Wonder if they'll try Nylander at centre again now that Berube is coach. Maybe a bit of a longer sample size to see.
Seemed to do okay for the Swedish team when deployed there on the big ice…….

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad