Player Discussion William Nylander

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The Core Fore will be the idols for the next generation of season ticket holders. They are a big deal after that post lockout era where the Leafs had no stars and lost a chunk of their potential fans to other teams in the league.
I'm not sure how that relates to my post, but do you think the "next generation of season ticket holders" would idolize them more or less if they actually won something - even a couple of rounds?

As far as paying the bills, regular season tickets are all sold every year, but a couple of extra rounds of playoffs....

Reactions: arso40

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I'm not sure how that relates to my post, but do you think the "next generation of season ticket holders" would idolize them more or less if they actually won something - even a couple of rounds?

As far as paying the bills, regular season tickets are all sold every year, but a couple of extra rounds of playoffs....

The only people that remember Toronto as a winner are dead or dying off fast. They should be ashamed as an organization to stroll down memory lane publicly. They should never again mention our past wins. Never until after we win again.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010

You said they don't pay the bills when their entire marketing and business scheme is predicated on these players. Winning would obviously be the best, but it's hard to win.

It's easier to keep these guys in town and prop them up than it is to win. Winning takes risk and would've have cost at least one of the core members in a trade as those of us with sense were saying way back when in 2018. The current season ticket holder will all die off eventually, there is no doubt that the Leafs fanaticism is on a downswing even with the Snore Four. Imagine what it would be like without them. The ownership will just go with the program and keep the pockets laced, no need to take the risk and actually try to win.

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
You said they don't pay the bills when their entire marketing and business scheme is predicated on these players. Winning would obviously be the best, but it's hard to win.

It's easier to keep these guys in town and prop them up than it is to win. Winning takes risk and would've have cost at least one of the core members in a trade as those of us with sense were saying way back when in 2018. The current season ticket holder will all die off eventually, there is no doubt that the Leafs fanaticism is on a downswing even with the Snore Four. Imagine what it would be like without them. The ownership will just go with the program and keep the pockets laced, no need to take the risk and actually try to win.
You seem to have missed the point - those particular players really don't have any impact on the bottom line.

The seats will all be sold, the concessions will do a booming business, and yes, the sweaters will sell, pretty much regardless of the names on them.

The only way a particular group of players will appreciably affect the cash flow is if they go farther in the playoffs. More rounds = more home games= more gate and concession and sweater sales.

Do you think sales of Matthews sweaters will go up more if he scores 70 and wins the Richard, or if he lifts the Stanley Cup at centre ice at Scotiabank Arena?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The only people that remember Toronto as a winner are dead or dying off fast. They should be ashamed as an organization to stroll down memory lane publicly. They should never again mention our past wins. Never until after we win again.
Just to expand on this thought: I'm 62, soon to be 63. The Leafs have won four Cups in my lifetime, the last of which was when I was 5 and I have no memory of any of them.

Younguns need to think about that.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Totally unrelated to any of the preceding conversations, I just watched TSNs "Top 50 Men's World Hockey Championship Goals".

Some really pretty goals, but unless I missed one, there were only two players who scored more than one of them: Dany Heatley had two, and William Nylander had three. Lots of Canadians, only two Americans, and a surprising number from Sweden vs Finland games.

Reactions: saffronleaf

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd like him to either be on the point this year or left face off circle as a right shot one time option.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Just to expand on this thought: I'm 62, soon to be 63. The Leafs have won four Cups in my lifetime, the last of which was when I was 5 and I have no memory of any of them.

Younguns need to think about that.
I’m same age and I do remember the last one, no memory of the others, I remember my uncle throwing me in the air over and over……..

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I’m not dead yet!

• Haha
Reactions: thewave

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I’m not dead yet!

I distinctly remember the last Cup, but I remember watching the game "already in progress" after Don Messer's Jubilee. Probably 1963 because bedtime would have been 09:00.

Regular-season games were not broadcast in their entirety until 1968, and only one game was televised each Saturday night until the 1990s. From 1952 to 1964, the HNIC telecast followed the lead of the radio broadcast by beginning at 9 p.m. ET; games were typically joined in progress shortly before (or during) the second period. Its start time was moved up to 8:30 p.m. ET at the beginning of the 1963–64 season, allowing games to be joined in progress late in the first period.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I distinctly remember the last Cup, but I remember watching the game "already in progress" after Don Messer's Jubilee. Probably 1963 because bedtime would have been 09:00.

Regular-season games were not broadcast in their entirety until 1968, and only one game was televised each Saturday night until the 1990s. From 1952 to 1964, the HNIC telecast followed the lead of the radio broadcast by beginning at 9 p.m. ET; games were typically joined in progress shortly before (or during) the second period. Its start time was moved up to 8:30 p.m. ET at the beginning of the 1963–64 season, allowing games to be joined in progress late in the first period.
No Dave Hodge around to flip his pencil at the stupidity of CBC brass back then………

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

I remember being at school the next day and my friend says, Leafs won the Cup. I replied, we always do… oh to be 12 and Naive again

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018

They thought that if the entire game was on TV, fans would stop going to the Gardens.

I'm 71 - I remember the four Cup wins in the 60s, although the earliest ones aren't as clear.

I'd listen to the first period with my grandmother, then go upstairs to watch the rest.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Mine's from when I played in the KHL and we had replica Red Wings sweaters. Somehow I ended up with #13. But I play defence and I'm not a great skater or stickhandler. A player less like Pavel would be hard to find.

My nickname quickly became 'notDatsyuk'.
You’re more of a Brad Marsh then?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
for the last 10 years ... playoffs

1717010174852.png

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Tavares is also more of a dumpster fire in the playoffs than any other core member. He's been Nylander's primary centre. Let's not forget Nylander putting up 5 goals with Kerfoot.

Last 5 seasons: 34 games played. 17 goals, 15 assists. Good for 0.5 GPG with a notable knack for clutch 5v5 contributions. Not saying that's 11.5 million performance, but it's pretty good. With better teammates and a functional powerplay you could see the potential for more.

Reactions: thewave and arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad