Will the defense be better this year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
This...

pilon.jpg

Is an improvement over...

This.

Tinordi..jpg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Should be, it was pretty paperclip last year, Murphy only played 46/82 games. Tinordi should have been waiver fodder but played 52/82 games. Zaitsev was a 6/7 and also spent half the year injured. Megna was a waiver pickup which is appropriate as he was a desperation claim and was needed 44/82 games. Korchinski was badly overwhelmed teenager that was called on for 76/82 games. Jones was out 15 games. Kaiser looked like an AHL player the first half of the season then went down and when he came back at the end looked a bit better. Phillips, Crevier, Roos, Del Mastro were AHL DMen that combined for 63 games played.

Basically with pretty ordinary injury luck, it should be better by default more or less.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
When I knew Tinordi, Megna and Zaitsev would not be coming back - I thought addition by subtraction would result in a better d-corps. However, then "over-the-hiller's" Martinez and Brodie were signed and my hopeful expectations became a little less hopeful. Considering Murphy missed a lot of time last season so getting him back to go along with Martinez and Brodie - it begs the question - are Murphy, Martinez and Brodie really all that much better than Tinordi, Megna and Zaitsev? After watching Murphy, Martinez and Brodie play in one or two preseason games each - My hope meter is flagging.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
When I knew Tinordi, Megna and Zaitsev would not be coming back - I thought addition by subtraction would result in a better d-corps. However, then "over-the-hiller's" Martinez and Brodie were signed and my hopeful expectations became a little less hopeful. Considering Murphy missed a lot of time last season so getting him back to go along with Martinez and Brodie - it begs the question - are Murphy, Martinez and Brodie really all that much better than Tinordi, Megna and Zaitsev? After watching Murphy, Martinez and Brodie play in one or two preseason games each - My hope meter is flagging.
How is this even a question?

• Haha
Reactions: Giovi and Dead Meat

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Yes sir they are

Reactions: Giovi

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well there is the d-coros AND the forwards...

Can we expect better Defending from the forwards?(the caveat is always IF there are no key injuries or quantity of injuries)...

I think Smith and Mikehyev and TT help a lot ..Dickinson is fine..
Kurashecif the 2C shoukd be helped by a healthy Hall and Mikeheyev on his flanks..

However ...Bedard is NOT (or not yet) a good defending Center esoecialky if matched agaibst top lines of other teams ...Therexare 2 problems here...1.Lousy at draws.. so loses posession off the bat and has to chase to get it back...TT shoud help in that aspect .. Bertuzzi hopefully is at least average when chasing to re-gain pisession..

So Bedard was -39 at evens last season..Can he get to at least Zero with the new help on wi gs?

..we shall see..Any cut down from -39 woukd drastically help the Hawks.

If Tt takes the draws that should shield the worst aspect of Bedard's game..

As to Halk Kurashev Mikeyhev ..you hope a healthy Halloween will be average defensively and hope Mikheyev will be a lot better than average defensively ..

If kine 3 is Fokigno Dockinsonand Smith that shoukd be fine defensively..

Not sure who is on line 4 .

Would seem Nazar shoukd not be on the team if he is not in top nine.
Would surprise if they kept Spellacy despite his solid play.You do not want to rush youth loje him...needs to go down to juniors and develop hos offebse more.

So 4th line could be a problem..Do not trust AA to be particularly shuttobgcdown any line.
Overall though I expect improvement from the totality of the forwards this season.

As to the d'corps..

Well the $9.5 issue is always there..Jones is the worst in the NHL amongst any player since he came to the Hawks...

Vlasic helped him a kot last season to cut down from -39 and -38 seasons to just -15..

Hopefully Hawks score more and that helps cut the negative again...providing Martinez banks him out as well or better than Vlasoc did..
I am not so sure Martinez can do that well..

Because as we alk know,Jones is Jones and it seems when he goofs or stNds and watches pucks flying into our net,you wonder why he is miscast as a dman..does he have the hockey sense for the position regarding v defending..?

I am skeptical he does have that aptitude for goid defending.. Consistency issues.. loos of focus..poor anticipation..poir decisionsvn pinches..and subsequent gao control errors..He is more athletic reaction than cerebral and that hurts hisxBility for defending effectiveness on a consistent basis.

He pkays a lot of minutes agaivst top lines ...so given hhs lack of defending g hockey sense ,you just know he is going to be on for copious scores agaivst in total over a seadon.

So goidbkick Martinez...you are going to need it to perform miracles with Seth.

As to Murphy...it seensctgwy want to demote hom to 3 RD which ought to help reduce his minutes and that should help his defebsuve numbers...He wss so bad last season..basically a pylon...Hopefully full health and reduced rile should keep him to at least average and somewhere near zero plus /minus despite the fact he has zero offebsive impact.

Kk is an X factor .. seems hevis improved and stribgervover lsst season and no longer rookie awed or overwhelmed...But loking goidvis 1 thing..Effective impact is another..
The offensive impact still has a long way to go to see him as an essential cog...So maybe drspitevimorived defending,he shoukd go to Rockford to hine his offense ?

If he does stick,are they playong him at RD with Vlasic on 2nd pairing?
Means Brodie would have to play 3LD if Murphy demoted to 3 RD.

Too many unknowns still.

However in totality the not having Megan and Tinordi out of tge picture is an enormous defensive gain..

So again expect d-corps willbe better than last season in overall defending.

Exoect goaltending to ve better given Brossout will share tge bet with Mrazek ..Still not Elite level but shoukd be ok.

So team drfendibgbought to be better this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad