Speculation: Will stamkos sign with the lightning?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will stamkos sign in Tampa ?

• Yes

Votes: 116 54.5%
  • No

Votes: 97 45.5%

• Total voters

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Likely not, but he won’t be making 3mill if he were to resign. My guess is that Tampa would offer anywhere from 6.5-7.5mil with the salary cap going up, on a short term (2yrs). I think Stamkos would gladly take this as he has expressed wanting to stay in Tampa. He’s still their captain, a big part of their powerplay and has chemistry with Kucherov and Point.

If he’s willing to take a pay cut, Tampa can look to add to their roster in the next 2 years. I don’t think Tampa would look to keep him after that unless they return to the conference finals at the BARE minimum.
I mean that's a ridiculous AAV for a guy who can still be a 45-50 goal top line guy. I get taking a home town discount but Lindholm is likely about to get 8+ as a UFA and Stamkos is far more valuable. He's not gonna get a ton of term but he's getting 9+ on the open market and at least 8 in TB

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
40 goals, 81 points in 79 games.

Not that good anymore.

Right.
Haven't you heard? Any player over 30 is washed up and every player that has a contract and is North of 30 requires a 1st just to get rid of them.
In three years the cap will be likely over 95 million. Some team would gladly pay him 9 over three years.

I have no clue what cap TB is working with but they could give 8 @ 1 year and make it bonus heavy since the cap is expected to jump again by at least the same amount as this year unless they are planning on throwing in the towel?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Tampa has 18 players under contract with $5.3M in cap left. Got to get to the 22 or 23 man roster and not much left for Stamkos.

If Tampa makes more room, what contract would they want to move?

Possible. Or Paul?
Sadly, the days of Tampa having enough prospects in the pipeline to make things work are gone.
They are rumored to be considering buying out Sheary and shopping Jeannot and possibly Perbix.

Some Tampa fans feel this will create enough space to enable them to sign Stamkos AND the players needed to bring them back to Stanley Cup Champions. Maybe for their Fantasy League team but not in reality.

Reality is if they sign Stamkos, the fans will be happy BUT they will have to once again fill the roster with bottom tier NHL players and players who should be in the AHL.
If they don't sign Stamkos, the fans will not be happy, however, they can use the Cap Space to sign a few players that can complement the remaining high cost five core players.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
i feel he will, he's set for life, he's got his cups, he's been there his whole career, i can't imagine it's too bad living in Tampa :). Don't see him leaving, might get a little less than he could on the open market? But if you've made almost 100 million in career earnings, not including endorsements and other ventures, what would an extra 5 or 10 million really mean to him? His home is there, he won there (twice), and I'm sure he has a lot of close friends on the team. Tampa shouldn't low ball him, because if you truly disrespect him with the offer, that would be the only thing that I could see motivating him to actually leave. The guy is a future HOFer an still a really good and productive player. He's a great fit there, he belongs there.
I think people truly underestimate the impact of taxes, and the combination lifestyle creep when your whole social circle is pro athletes. Couple that with a short window of earning years and the desire for more money is going to be there for most athletes even after large career earnings. There are of course times where the trade off of staying where you want to be makes it worth the discount, but it's still a sacrifice for the athlete to take that discount. The extra 5 to 10 million does matter to them.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think people truly underestimate the impact of taxes, and the combination lifestyle creep when your whole social circle is pro athletes. Couple that with a short window of earning years and the desire for more money is going to be there for most athletes even after large career earnings. There are of course times where the trade off of staying where you want to be makes it worth the discount, but it's still a sacrifice for the athlete to take that discount. The extra 5 to 10 million does matter to them.

No state taxes applies more when the players actually spend most of their money. But when most invest, does the taxes apply as much then? I always wonder how much players spend yearly (after their big purchases are done...house, car, toys, etc). The other layer is some players want money available to invest in business vs long term funds investments. Each players strategy is different.

Now, with Stamkos, I'm sure he wants to stay and I'm sure Tampa wants him to stay but that cap is tight. What is the right number for Stamkos as this stage of his career? Your guess is as good as mine but if he is after a max deal to finish his career, he can get $8M+ from several teams. Is that equal to $6M on Tampa? Not sure how this plays out

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
No state taxes applies more when the players actually spend most of their money. But when most invest, does the taxes apply as much then? I always wonder how much players spend yearly (after their big purchases are done...house, car, toys, etc). The other layer is some players want money available to invest in business vs long term funds investments. Each players strategy is different.

Now, with Stamkos, I'm sure he wants to stay and I'm sure Tampa wants him to stay but that cap is tight. What is the right number for Stamkos as this stage of his career? Your guess is as good as mine but if he is after a max deal to finish his career, he can get $8M+ from several teams. Is that equal to $6M on Tampa? Not sure how this plays out
I'm a financial planner in Canada, I can't speak specifically to the states for tax sheltered accounts, but I believe their situation is somewhat similar to ours. On the initial income made, there are very limited options for full tax deferal, in Canada we only can earn $31,560 room in 2024. Future investment dollars can be more tax deferred, but those initial dollars are taxed at 37% in Florida for most of the money he earns. I do agree that athletes invest for the future and I'm sure lots of good advice is available.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad