Speculation: Will Nichushkin stay in Colorado or go?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Does his contract count on cap or is it like he was on "LTIR"?

It doesn't count as being against the cap AND doesn't count as being on LTIR.

His cap hit is $0 until he gets reinstated by the league and at that point his cap hit becomes only whatever the prorated number is for the rest of the year, so roughly $5M, instead of $6.125.

Reactions: OysterForever

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nuke checks out the moment the regular season paychecks stop and playoff shares, which are meager in comparison, are the financial motivation for a player like him.

He has ruined two postseason runs in a row with these antics. His Avs career likely ends in suspension next post season when he fails another drug test and he is ejected from the NHL.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Nuke checks out the moment the regular season paychecks stop and playoff shares, which are meager in comparison, are the financial motivation for a player like him.

He has ruined two postseason runs in a row with these antics. His Avs career likely ends in suspension next post season when he fails another drug test and he is ejected from the NHL.
At the end of the day you guys won a cup, better than what we got in Toronto where our superstars just check out for no reason at all.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Nuke played with his foot looking like this to help the team win the Cup, so your premise that he "checks out the moment the regular season paychecks stop" doesn't seem to hold up to much scrutiny.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Nuke is a player you win a cup with honestly I’m taking a healthy motivated Nuke in playoffs over Marner or Kaprizov as a leafs fan.

I think if Columbus were offered Laine for him it’d be worth the risk worst case he relapses and they gain 8mil in cap space. Best case Guadreau-Monahan-Nuke all rejuvenate eachother.
There's absolutely NO chance any NHL team takes Nuke's deal unless they're loading off a Huberdeau in the process. Laine's deal is only 2 years, unlike Nuke's.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's not like the guy has a knee injury. When he plays, he's great. When he doesn't, he has a $0 cap hit, which is far better than LTIR. We're banking cap space until his suspension is up. So I would be in no rush to throw him away.

At this point his suspensions are so long, I'd be a little surprised if he was willing to wait them out. Even if he does, I don't see his length of contract being an issue due to the team-friendly cap implications. Everyone can do the whole, "I wouldn't take him for free" stuff now, but if he puts up 18 points in 20 games with the Avs, everyone will be singing a different tune.

Dr Amazing

Oct 5, 2017
Maybe in fantasy land, but here in the real world, if there's written rules/laws drafted up by lawyers that say when a player isn't eligible to get paid, NHL owners aren't paying. They didn't get rich by doing charity payments.
Forgot it was stage 3 suspension anyways im sure he ain't sweating it Val still celebrating 2022 cup win everything will be ok.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
There's absolutely NO chance any NHL team takes Nuke's deal unless they're loading off a Huberdeau in the process. Laine's deal is only 2 years, unlike Nuke's.
Why not? As I said if he relapses the contract is terminated.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
This is incorrect. Nuke’s cap hit will be calculated based on the amount of days he is on the team. He’s going to miss about 20% of the regular season days. Therefore his 6.125M dollar cap hit will only be applied for 80% of the games. No different than how a trade deadline acquisition is calculated.
If traded players cap hit changes depending on when he's traded, than why is it when we acquired Zadorov and Lindholm, there cap hit was exactly the same?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
The dude is a playoff monster when he's on the ice. But no NHL team is gonna touch him until he gets his shit together.

Last edited:

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
The dude is a playoff monster when he's on the ice. But no NHL team is gonna touch him until he gets hit shit together.
Avs are keeping him.

He's the perfect excuse for the last 2 years of incompetence of Chris M

Reactions: Zine

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nuke played with his foot looking like this to help the team win the Cup, so your premise that he "checks out the moment the regular season paychecks stop" doesn't seem to hold up to much scrutiny.

Check when Nuke signed his current contract and saw a massive spike in pay. You'll note it was right after the Cup win.

And since he got his payday... now run your same post season analysis. It's pretty clear when he loses interest in playing hockey. And it's not like Nuke went to rehab. He was off to Russia to party all over it and Europe this summer. Playoff shares don't come anywhere close to his regular season AAV.

My theory here... definitely not one you can dismiss easily. Nuke is two for two on ruining the Avs season once the playoffs start and his professionalism checks out.

Last edited:

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Colorado can't take any decision right now (because no team will want him right now)
They need to wait until he's coming back and wait to the TDL if he failed another test or not.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Check when Nuke signed his current contract and saw a massive spike in pay. You'll note it was right after the Cup win.

And since he got his payday... now run your same post season analysis. It's pretty clear when he loses interest in playing hockey. And it's not like Nuke went to rehab. He was off to Russia to party all over it and Europe this summer. Playoff shares don't come anywhere close to his regular season AAV.

My theory here... definitely not one you can dismiss easily. Nuke is two for two on ruining the Avs season once the playoffs start and his professionalism checks out.

My theory is that some portion of his issues stems from that foot injury. How many addicts start their story with "it all started when I got hurt"? They get treatment or surgery, and the problem is deemed medically resolved so the prescription pills stop coming, but there's still discomfort and the self medicating begins. And then the self medicating quickly becomes a whole new problem. Addiction is a horrible thing, and will make people do some really stupid things at inopportune times. I don't know why we need to resort to the old stereotypes about lazy Russians only being in it for the money to try to make sense of an addict doing addict things.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As much as he has been a liability to the Aves, I can't imagine there wouldn't be at least a couple of teams to take a chance on him.

He was incredible the year they won the cup. As a TB fan, he was usually the scariest guy on the ice. I know that was before he got paid, but I think GMs would gamble for it. Not all, probably not even most, but at least a couple.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Best player on the Avs this post season

Any team would want him given he’s taken care of his off the ice issues

Yeah, no 💩, but that's a gigantic "If' at this point.

Seems to have moderate-severe drug problem and he's got a hefty contract.

Hard to imagine anyone tuoching him with 10 foot pole right now

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
Nuke is two for two on letting them down for sure. Mackinnon, George and rantanens play are what ruined their chances however. Nuke is a big factor but not the main reason for the recent lack of success imo.

Reactions: Alienblood

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Nuke is two for two on letting them down for sure. Mackinnon, George and rantanens play are what ruined their chances however. Nuke is a big factor but not the main reason for the recent lack of success imo.
yep they weren't winning anyways.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad