Speculation: Will Nichushkin stay in Colorado or go?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
My theory is that some portion of his issues stems from that foot injury. How many addicts start their story with "it all started when I got hurt"? They get treatment or surgery, and the problem is deemed medically resolved so the prescription pills stop coming, but there's still discomfort and the self medicating begins. And then the self medicating quickly becomes a whole new problem. Addiction is a horrible thing, and will make people do some really stupid things at inopportune times. I don't know why we need to resort to the old stereotypes about lazy Russians only being in it for the money to try to make sense of an addict doing addict things.
I didn't use the word lazy. Nuke was great in the playoffs until he got himself suspended. Hockey isn't the problem for him. He's one of the NHLs best athletes. A pure unicorn of size, speed, edgework, length, defensive IQ and solid hands. He's the perfect player for the type of possession hockey Bednar prefers (which is a bad style for the playoffs, but that's another discussion entirely).

The problem for Nuke is the tiny playoff paychecks aren't enough to keep his attention / prompt Nuke to retain the professionalism required to behave off the ice.

But the stereotype that Russians play for pay first and foremost? Lots and lots of kernels of truth in that stereotype. Generalizations are lazy, but that doesn't mean they lack some validity. Nuke was a different player once he signed his current contract. His foot is likely a big reason for that, but so was the huge increase in pay.

But as an Avs fan and hockey fan in general, I'm often in awe of Nuke. I think he's so unique and I love watching him play. He is a true game changer and when he quits on his team, it is a catastrophe for the Avs. I can't overstate how important he is to the Avs success. He is a mission critical piece and it's brutal that he's ruined his career in his prime. This setback blew our window to win Cups into a million pieces. Really sucks for us Avs fans and makes me both relieved and disgusted that the Cup in 2022 is very likely the only one this core touches, which is such a waste of an incredible team.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nuke is two for two on letting them down for sure. Mackinnon, George and rantanens play are what ruined their chances however. Nuke is a big factor but not the main reason for the recent lack of success imo.
Geo played fine in the playoffs. Nuke quitting on the team was reason #1 they lost. He is, by some margin, the 4th most important player on the team behind Rants. Way ahead of the somewhat overrated Toews... Mitts, Lex and the next tier of important Avs. The Avs will never win a dang thing without Nuke. He's that elite and important in what he brings to Bendar.

I disagree with your conclusion. Geo had a bad season, but not a bad playoff run. His play improved in the playoffs quite a bit. He definitely outplayed Helle/Peg.

Rants had a season that wasn't quite as focused or productive as prior years. Makar too. Makar's defensive play and metrics kinda sucked. Hughes was the better player last season even if I think Makar is, in general, much better. He wasn't last year.

Mack is the most realistic player on the team and once Nuke bailed, I'm sure he knew the season was over. And that was reflected in his play vs Dallas. He was just wrapping up another lost season due to Nuke's lack of professionalism/availability.

And lastly. Bednar's style of play, possession hockey, is a bad fit for the playoffs unless your roster is so superior to all the other teams (like it was in 2022) that it works because you're so much better than anyone else.

Dallas 2024 vs the Avs 2024 was a even matchup. And in that case... go to playoff hockey of dump n chase. The way Florida won it vs Edmonton, game 7 being the perfect example of boring, successful, defensive focused chip it out, dump n chase hockey. Bednar has no idea how to coach this type of playoff successful brand of hockey. Bednar is a huge liability for the Avs once the playoffs start. he's a one trick pony and unless your team is super loaded with puck possession savants, Bednar possession hockey doesn't work vs good teams like Vegas, Dallas, Florida, etc. It's why he can't get past round 2. As long as Bednar is the Avs coach, the 2nd round is our ceiling.

Last edited:

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Geo played fine in the playoffs. Nuke quitting on the team was reason #1 they lost. He is, by some margin, the 4th most important player on the team behind Rants. Way ahead of the somewhat overrated Toews... Mitts, Lex and the next tier of important Avs. The Avs will never win a dang thing without Nuke. He's that elite and important in what he brings to Bendar.

I disagree with your conclusion. Geo had a bad season, but not a bad playoff run. His play improved in the playoffs quite a bit. He definitely outplayed Helle/Peg.

Rants had a season that wasn't quite as focused or productive as prior years. Makar too. Makar's defensive play and metrics kinda sucked. Hughes was the better player last season even if I think Makar is, in general, much better. He wasn't last year.

Mack is the most realistic player on the team and once Nuke bailed, I'm sure he knew the season was over. And that was reflected in his play vs Dallas. He was just wrapping up another lost season due to Nuke's lack of professionalism/availability.

And lastly. Bednar's style of play, possession hockey, is a bad fit for the playoffs unless your roster is so superior to all the other teams (like it was in 2022) that it works because you're so much better than anyone else.

Dallas 2024 vs the Avs 2024 was a even matchup. And in that case... go to playoff hockey of dump n chase. The way Florida won it vs Edmonton, game 7 being the perfect example of boring, successful, defensive focused chip it out, dump n chase hockey. Bednar has no idea how to coach this type of playoff successful brand of hockey. Bednar is a huge liability for the Avs once the playoffs start. he's a one trick pony and unless your team is super loaded with puck possession savants, Bednar possession hockey doesn't work vs good teams like Vegas, Dallas, Florida, etc. It's why he can't get past round 2. As long as Bednar is the Avs coach, the 2nd round is our ceiling.
Nuke is more valuable than Rants

• Wow
Reactions: Golden_Jet

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well... that is debatable but I say that literally. There are times I would agree with you and other times where Rants looks like a top 10 NHL player and I don't.

But your point is the same as mine. Nuke is a unicorn and he's crazy valuable to the Avs success. When he quit on the team the past two post seasons, our season ended that very moment x 2. We have NO shot of winning the Cup without him.

Truthfully, I sorta stopped watching the Avs playoff games once he was out. 100% of my fan enthusiasm was stolen because I knew the mission was fruitless. It really sticks that the Avs fortunes are tied to this guy and he both won us a cup and destroyed our window to win more.

Reactions: wetcoast

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some deal with Calgary is worked out for Kadri with Nichushkin coming back.

I'm not sure what that might look like, but with a fairly strong Russian flavour here (Kuzmenko, Sharangovich (Bylorussian), Miromanov, Nikolaev (farm), Grushnikov (farm), Kuznetzov (farm), Solovyov (farm), Griden (farm), there is a ready made ex-pat community that could help him along.

Calgary has cap room coming out the ying-yang right now and need a centre.

I'm sure Av's would welcome Kadri with open arms, but their cap situation is dicey and I'm sure they'd be loathe to part with Mittelstadt or even Ritchie in such a move.

They can stand by their man while he is dealing with his issue(s) or try and make hay while sun is shining. Adding Kadri, even if he is 34, might do the trick.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
No he isn't.

Rantanen is frustrating to some Avs fans (or perhaps all Avs fans to an extent), even to the point where there is a portion of the fanbase (at least here on HFBoards) who think he should be traded rather than extended.

But he's once again being underrated here. Two seasons in a row with +100 points. The year before this one, 55 goals. During the cup run, Rantanen had the most points of any Avs forward. Yes, he had more points than MacKinnon.

There maybe a universe, where Nuke stays clean and plays like he did this year, a PPG pace and 40 goal pace, while making 6.15M, being a forechecking, defensively responsible powerforward. If this was the case then yeah, he would be more valuable than Mikko who is about to make double that money, even if Mikko produces more points. We are in cap league after all.

But Nuke is not that. First of, he hasn't been able to stay clean and there is little hope to suggest that will change in the future. Secondly, he didn't play this good production wise in the previous years, although definitively not bad.

Reactions: wetcoast

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
No he isn't.

Rantanen is frustrating to some Avs fans (or perhaps all Avs fans to an extent), even to the point where there is a portion of the fanbase (at least here on HFBoards) who think he should be traded rather than extended.

But he's once again being underrated here. Two seasons in a row with +100 points. The year before this one, 55 goals. During the cup run, Rantanen had the most points of any Avs forward. Yes, he had more points than MacKinnon.

There maybe a universe, where Nuke stays clean and plays like he did this year, a PPG pace and 40 goal pace, while making 6.15M, being a forechecking, defensively responsible powerforward. If this was the case then yeah, he would be more valuable than Mikko who is about to make double that money, even if Mikko produces more points. We are in cap league after all.

But Nuke is not that. First of, he hasn't been able to stay clean and there is little hope to suggest that will change in the future. Secondly, he didn't play this good production wise in the previous years, although definitively not bad.B

As a hockey fan I want to see a healthy 100,% Nuke in the AVS, as a Canucks fan I want to see him healthy elsewhere.

Hopefully he finds some peace and clarity not only for his career but for his life.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019

Dallas 2024 vs the Avs 2024 was an even matchup. And in that case... go to playoff hockey of dump n chase. The way Florida won it vs Edmonton, game 7 being the perfect example of boring, successful, defensive focused chip it out, dump n chase hockey. Bednar has no idea how to coach this type of playoff successful brand of hockey. Bednar is a huge liability for the Avs once the playoffs start. he's a one trick pony and unless your team is super loaded with puck possession savants, Bednar possession hockey doesn't work vs good teams like Vegas, Dallas, Florida, etc. It's why he can't get past round 2. As long as Bednar is the Avs coach, the 2nd round is our ceiling.
Overall I think we have similar thoughts, just in a different order of implied importance. I say George was more of an issue because although he was better than expected after a bad regular season, the only way a team wins with the level of goaltending he provided was if everything clicks for the entirety of the team and that’s an unreasonable expectation imo. There is no doubt that Nuke is the better and more important player but one plays the entirety of the game and can sink you single-handedly and for that reason, rightly or wrongly, I place more importance on George. We were proven that we can’t win without nuke for two rears straight but I’d be hard pressed to believe the final outcome (not winning the cup) would have changed with him in either. Him along with a healthy Landy makes things different but alas that was never to be…

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The Avs are better off keeping him given the risks to his contract and career.

The Avs might need to do some load management with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad