Speculation: Will Nichushkin stay in Colorado or go?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Don't see much options this season other than playing for the Avs

Cannot be bought out
Surely he won't walk away from the contract
Doubt anyone wants to trade for Nuke atm

I mean he was a PPG player in the regular. I bet there are teams that won't mind to get him, especially if the Avs really want to get rid of him and don't ask a lot.

Reactions: Leafshater67

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I mean he was a PPG player in the regular. I bet there are teams that won't mind to get him, especially if the Avs really want to get rid of him and don't ask a lot.
Not so sure. Nuke probably is considered a liability since you just don't know if he will be available the whole season + he has 6 years left on the contract.

Love the player though, outstanding when he plays.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
What is Avs cap situation like?

Is Landeskog expected to return next season? From what I’ve read it sounds like he could be back at some point but that seems like a tough hill to climb. He’s turning 32 and hasn’t played a game in over 2 years and previous to that he’s been missing 25-30 games a year since 18-19.

Nichkushkin on the other hand seems like he can be reinstated around November. If he does what he needs to in the PA program.

Do Avs fans feel confident both will be returning this season and if so, how much cap will they need to create in order to fit both in?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Is Landeskog expected to return next season? From what I’ve read it sounds like he could be back at some point but that seems like a tough hill to climb. He’s turning 32 and hasn’t played a game in over 2 years and previous to that he’s been missing 25-30 games a year since 18-19.

Nichkushkin on the other hand seems like he can be reinstated around November. If he does what he needs to in the PA program.

Do Avs fans feel confident both will be returning this season and if so, how much cap will they need to create in order to fit both in?

Personally still don't think Nichushkin plays another game for Colorado.

But in terms of cap, they will be able to fit him in without moving anybody. They've operated this entire summer with both cap hits accounted for hence us almost not being able to keep Drouin and doing basically nothing in the UFA market.

They've got about $3.25M in cap space today. Nichushkins contract when reinstated will be roughly $4.9M. Avs should be able to just send down a couple guys to get the space needed.

Reactions: missionAvs

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Great player when he actually plays. Hope he gets the help he needs as he's a very good player and you hate to see that career go to waste.

I think Colorado will consider moving him as he has really seemed to let the players down this time.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
stay. there is no market for him. hes a really good hockey player but you cant trust him yet.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

The short answer is that the Avs management have taken this into consideration and should be fine once Nichuskin is reinstated to have everyone in the lineup.

The long answer is more complicated. If I’m not mistaken they have budgeted to allow both. Their current total cap hit including Nuke is roughly $91m and without is $85m (~$3m in cap space). Nuke’s contract will have a prorated cap hit of about 16-17 games (approx $4.9m cap hit). My understanding is that it’s almost like Nichuskin is unsigned until his reinstatement day. This should therefore allow the Avs to accrue space on the $3m they are under the cap. The combination of the two will allow for Nichuskin to come back and fit inside the cap.

spaghtti

Oct 13, 2013
The short answer is that the Avs management have taken this into consideration and should be fine once Nichuskin is reinstated to have everyone in the lineup.

The long answer is more complicated. If I’m not mistaken they have budgeted to allow both. Their current total cap hit including Nuke is roughly $91m and without is $85m (~$3m in cap space). Nuke’s contract will have a prorated cap hit of about 16-17 games (approx $4.9m cap hit). My understanding is that it’s almost like Nichuskin is unsigned until his reinstatement day. This should therefore allow the Avs to accrue space on the $3m they are under the cap. The combination of the two will allow for Nichuskin to come back and fit inside the cap.
Pretty sure suspended players still have the full cap hit count against the team cap for the full season. The team doesn't get any relief because one of their players breaks the rules

Reactions: andora

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Kane for Nichuskin, Oilers can deal with off ice issues like everyone else they take in

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
He'll be on the Avs this season guaranteed. Avs will play it cool and hope he does well on and off the ice.

Come June 15, 2025 though when his NMC changes to a 12-team no-trade list, he'll be gone.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Pretty sure suspended players still have the full cap hit count against the team cap for the full season. The team doesn't get any relief because one of their players breaks the rules

From what I can find, the Players Assistance program has a rule that if the player is expected to miss more than 10 games and 24 days, like Nuke is, they can be put on LTIR for cap relief.

Reactions: HockeyScotty

Ad

Upcoming events

• France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,632.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Israel vs Italy
    Israel vs Italy
    Wagers: 7