Speculation: Will next TD a busy one?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Yeah I know, the season haven't begun yet that I talk about TD.

But, everybody likes the TD and I made this post as a speculative one.

So let's speculate...

As everybody knows, the covid flat cap era is on our back mirror since, well.. now!

And since NHL GMs have been accustomed to frugality for the last 4 years, not a lot of team are actually cap strapped.

So, with so many teams having some (even narrow) cap space, and with parity being to such a high level in this league, will next TD be an agitated one?

Seller or buyer market?

Your speculations are worth mine...

My bet on the matter: it will be busy and a seller market.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I can only speak on the Habs but I can’t see them being too busy.

Yes they picked up Laine and the organization has said that they want to play meaningful games come late in the season. I just can’t see how they would be a playoff team yet. They will be sellers.

These are the upcoming UFAs;

Christian Dvorak 4.55 million - I can see teams looking for a depth third line center but I can’t see much being offered. Too injury prone. Value of a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Joel Armia 3.4 million - he played good last year after being sent down to the AHL at the start of the year. He needs to play at a 15-20 goal pace to even be considered for trades by another team. Value of a 4th or 5th round pick.

Jake Evans 1.7 million - 4th line center who would be strictly a depth pickup for anyone. I can’t see him getting much interest and if he does the return will be minimal.

Michael Pezzetta 813k - epitome of a depth energy guy. He hits and will fight, although he doesn’t win many fights. Teammates love him. I can see teams interested in bringing him in at a very cheap price to give their fourth line some energy.

Alex Barre-Boulet 775k - this is his last chance in the NHL I figure. He has to make it count and be a productive point producer. If he isn’t absolutely lights out then he has no value.

David Savard 3.5 million - he is the only valuable piece on the Habs. Teams love to pick up those right handed defensive defencemen. Similar players have went for a 1st in recent years, that or a 2nd and B level prospect. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the Habs keep him. It’s always good to have some vet presence around and he would be a great partner for Hutson for a full two years.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
IMG_9679.jpeg

I consulted with my magic 8ball powered by Elon Musk’s powerful AI engine Grok2

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010

Yes they picked up Laine and the organization has said that they want to play meaningful games come late in the season. I just can’t see how they would be a playoff team yet. They will be sellers.

Christian Dvorak 4.55 million - I can see teams looking for a depth third line center but I can’t see much being offered. Too injury prone. Value of a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Joel Armia 3.4 million - he played good last year after being sent down to the AHL at the start of the year. He needs to play at a 15-20 goal pace to even be considered for trades by another team. Value of a 4th or 5th round pick.

Jake Evans 1.7 million - 4th line center who would be strictly a depth pickup for anyone. I can’t see him getting much interest and if he does the return will be minimal.

Michael Pezzetta 813k - epitome of a depth energy guy. He hits and will fight, although he doesn’t win many fights. Teammates love him. I can see teams interested in bringing him in at a very cheap price to give their fourth line some energy.

Alex Barre-Boulet 775k - this is his last chance in the NHL I figure. He has to make it count and be a productive point producer. If he isn’t absolutely lights out then he has no value.

David Savard 3.5 million - he is the only valuable piece on the Habs. Teams love to pick up those right handed defensive defencemen. Similar players have went for a 1st in recent years, that or a 2nd and B level prospect. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that the Habs keep him. It’s always good to have some vet presence around and he would be a great partner for Hutson for a full two years.

If Hutson and Mailloux are both established on the team by the TDL it makes sense to trade Matheson. Those two can take over the two PP units and whoever gets Matheson has him for two playoff runs.

Reactions: Habsrule

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

Dvorak, Armia and Evans will fetch more than you expect. If healthy and having reasonaly good seasons, I'd expect a 2nd for Dvorak, a 3d for Armia, and a 2nd for Evans. I doubt all 3 get moved though -I expect Evans to be quietly extended at some point.

Rentals are always worth more than we expect, because teams are buying when they have specific needs, and can fill them without long term cap commitment.

Savard is another who might be extended.

The other guys like Pezzetta aren't worth much, and are more likely to be lost to waivers than amything else.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Yeah I know, the season haven't begun yet that I talk about TD.

But, everybody likes the TD and I made this post as a speculative one.

So let's speculate...

As everybody knows, the covid flat cap era is on our back mirror since, well.. now!

And since NHL GMs have been accustomed to frugality for the last 4 years, not a lot of team are actually cap strapped.

So, with so many teams having some (even narrow) cap space, and with parity being to such a high level in this league, will next TD be an agitated one?

Seller or buyer market?

Your speculations are worth mine...

My bet on the matter: it will be busy and a seller market.
If you have a bunch of tean battling like the li ast 4-5 spaces are among 10+ teams you can have a limited TDL if ther 6-8 teams out of playoffs dont havemuch to sell. If you have 12 or so out or you have a clear 6-< innplsyoffd then yuuu ou can seemore trsdes

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
The Sharks are going to be busy. Grier will probably be selling Granlund, Sturm, Ceci, Rutta, and one of Blackwood or Vanecek. All of those guys are good enough to have a depth role on a contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad