Will McDavid Score 150 Points+?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
He hasn’t even reached Kuch’s record 128 pts for the modern era, and you assume he will surpass it by 20 pts, really?

Though McDavid is now the best hockey player, 150 is a very bold prediction.
His 105 in 56 (full season due to covid shortening) is way better than Kucherov's 128 in 82, and paced for over 150 so it's not like he hasn't already shown extended periods of play at the level needed to put up 150.

Reactions: PaulD

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Not sure about 150+ points but he will probably eclipse Kucherov 128 points barring any injuries. Heck even Drai might get more than 128 points

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Outside shot at 150 points. I would bet over 140 based on early season results.

I also think he will keep gunning for the Richard.

McDavid is in his peak years right now. This may be the best we ever see of him. Glorious to watch.

Oh how I wish I could cheer for McDavid in a best on best tournament on the same team as prime MacKinnon, prime Makar, and Crosby.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Normally I'd say a long shot, or way too early to tell. The way too early to tell comment is still valid of course, too many variables and if all the variables fall into play with the only one being, can he keep the pace.....that's a tough variable as well.

The big thing I'm looking at right now though, is league scoring is up again this year and continues to increase (it's up from where it was last week as an example), up from last year which was higher than it has been in about 27 years. You only have to go back 3-4 years, it's up 20% from that time period.....so, will that trend continue? No signs of that stopping, scoring has been up 3 years in a row....7 years if you ignore the 20/21 season (no reason to ignore of course....but there were significantly less games that year, so an anomaly)....either way, it's on an upward trend and no signs historically of that stopping yet.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
He's gonna score 70+ goals this season
No he’s not. Not at 28% shooting. Gretzky didn’t even hit that high a sh% the year he scored 92. In the 80’s vs 80’s goalies and equipment.

As much as I want to see McDavid hit 150 points I’m going to hammer the under. That’s just too high a level to maintain for an entire season in the modern game. Especially with the minutes he’s playing. He can absolutely hit 130+ though which in itself would be a huge number for the cap era. It’s amazing to see him consistently spit out crazy numbers year after year without ever having a down year.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
League scoring is higher now than it was in 95/96 when Mario had 160pts in 70 games and Jagr had 149pts.

That said, it's basically the same as 93/94 when Gretzky had 130pts and Fedorov had 120.....I guess scoring was just spread out more that year. Probably because Mario played 22 games that year and Jagr wasn't quite at his peak yet.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Part of the think that usually helps for getting 150+ is getting very high point totals in certain games.

I'm talking 5, 6, even 7 points in some games while still being consistent!

This is how Gretzky and Lemieux got 190+. If we start seeing 5-6 point nights from mcdavid, then we can talk about 150 and maybe even 160.

My bet is on 60-80-140 for McDavid.

Reactions: North Cole

SensFan4lyfe

Nov 2, 2022
I usually don't sell high but I'm starting to think this guy is going to get 170 this he just has something about it.

Usually I'm fairly realistic, but I see him getting 170.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
It is just insane how many Grade A chances he generates a game (There is a rare game here and there where he can be totally out of it). It all depends on health. No to 150

I think 120 is almost a guarantee

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I usually don't sell high but I'm starting to think this guy is going to get 170 this he just has something about it.

Usually I'm fairly realistic, but I see him getting 170.

Haha this would be amazing but I don’t know man. In the 80s I would certainly bet on it though. He does look better than ever before though and I think 150 is possible if all goes well.

PM88RU

Dec 24, 2020
Moscow, Russia
His 105 in 56 (full season due to covid shortening) is way better than Kucherov's 128 in 82, and paced for over 150 so it's not like he hasn't already shown extended periods of play at the level needed to put up 150.
Well, firstly, the larger is the sample, the harder it is to keep the PPG rate high.

Secondly, Covid season had limited teams facing each other, not the whole NHL. That alone should put an asterisks on all the Covid season achievements.

I’m truly impressed by Connor, but let him beat Kuch’s numbers first. Once that’s over I’ll be ready to reassess the final points number. I’ve been seeing this 150 points threads at the beginning of the season for two years already (and probably there were such threads in previous years), and… there was not a single time it turned to be true.

He might get sick, his teammates might get cold, he might decide to save some energy for playoff when they qualify. You just can never know.

As for now I’ll say 130 for him. That alone is quite a mark.

Reactions: Macheteops

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I have faith that McDrai both pass 125 this year and McDavid has a good chance at 150. This season they just have that extra jump and are primed to do it.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Would be really cool to see. That being said McDavid usually amps it up in the second half of a season and he's already doing it early on so that makes me believe it could actually be possible (though slim).

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
League scoring is higher now than it was in 95/96 when Mario had 160pts in 70 games and Jagr had 149pts.

That said, it's basically the same as 93/94 when Gretzky had 130pts and Fedorov had 120.....I guess scoring was just spread out more that year. Probably because Mario played 22 games that year and Jagr wasn't quite at his peak yet.
In the season you mention, 1993-94, the top two scorers mostly started out super-hot and then tailed off in the latter part of the season:

Pre-All Star Game:
Gretzky 82PTS in 45GP (pace for 149PTS in 82GP)
Fedorov 77PTS in 45GP (pace for 140PTS in 82GP)

Post-All Star Game
Gretzky 48PTS in 36GP (pace for 109PTS in 82GP)
Fedorov 43PTS in 37GP (pace for 95PTS in 92GP)

(Adam Oates and Doug Gilmour, #3 and 4 in scoring, however, were more consistent.)

Last season, scoring increased as the season went on, with many high-scoring games occurring in March and afterwards. But I think the usual trend is the opposite, where the higher scoring tends to be mainly concentrated in the first half or middle portion of the season.

So, if this year follows last season's pattern (which I think was an aberration), maybe McDavid could reach 150 points. But I doubt it. I think we'll look back at 2021 as McDavid's most dominant regular season. I don't think he's as good this season as he was that season yet, and in fact I don't think he's quite as good this season as Draisaitl was in the first 20 games last season...

If anyone can do it, it's him, but it's awfully hard. The following all have to occur:
-- zero injuries (or even nagging minor injuries that bother the player but don't take him out of the lineup)
-- no badly slumping line-mates
-- Oilers' PP stays hot
-- no major Oilers' team slumps (which they usually have starting in November or December)
-- maintain motivation for RS scoring, even as playoffs approach (assuming Oil make it in)
-- his girlfriend doesn't waste his energy in further designing their house

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Not sure about 150+ points but he will probably eclipse Kucherov 128 points barring any injuries. Heck even Drai might get more than 128 points
150 ....................if he plays 82 games 160 is doable.
50 in 50 then beyond.

Last edited:

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
In the season you mention, 1993-94, the top two scorers mostly started out super-hot and then tailed off in the latter part of the season:

Pre-All Star Game:
Gretzky 82PTS in 45GP (pace for 149PTS in 82GP)
Fedorov 77PTS in 45GP (pace for 140PTS in 82GP)

Post-All Star Game
Gretzky 48PTS in 36GP (pace for 109PTS in 82GP)
Fedorov 43PTS in 37GP (pace for 95PTS in 92GP)

(Adam Oates and Doug Gilmour, #3 and 4 in scoring, however, were more consistent.)

Last season, scoring increased as the season went on, with many high-scoring games occurring in March and afterwards. But I think the usual trend is the opposite, where the higher scoring tends to be mainly concentrated in the first half or middle portion of the season.

So, if this year follows last season's pattern (which I think was an aberration), maybe McDavid could reach 150 points. But I doubt it. I think we'll look back at 2021 as McDavid's most dominant regular season. I don't think he's as good this season as he was that season yet, and in fact I don't think he's quite as good this season as Draisaitl was in the first 20 games last season...

If anyone can do it, it's him, but it's awfully hard. The following all have to occur:
-- zero injuries (or even nagging minor injuries that bother the player but don't take him out of the lineup)
-- no badly slumping line-mates
-- Oilers' PP stays hot
-- no major Oilers' team slumps (which they usually have starting in November or December)
-- maintain motivation for RS scoring, even as playoffs approach (assuming Oil make it in)
-- his girlfriend doesn't waste his energy in further designing their house
Great post.

Last year also had more shit goalies get playing time than any season I can remember. 3rd and 4th string rent a goalies sprinkled through out the schedules. The Devils had (a possible record) 7 goalies see action. 6 of them were rubbish. ha!

Last edited:

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I don’t think he will because he seems to consistently go through a lull* in the middle of the year where he seems to be either conserving energy and or burnt out from playing at the ridiculous pace he plays at to start the year.

*Mcdavid’s “lull” is still unreal most nights but not historic point total unreal.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
135-140 would be unreal. If he hit 150 in todays era that’s Gretzky tier stuff.
No, not really….currently, scoring is way higher than it’s been in the last 20 years. 1985, Gretzky scored 208 pts, goals per game per team was 3.89….it’s currently 3.22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad