Speculation: Will Marleau retire?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
As others alluded to, he was only signed last year so he could break Howe’s record and hasn’t been an NHL-caliber player in 3-4 years now. Though I’m not sure he wants to retire, I don’t think he’ll have a choice.

Reactions: virothepyro

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I'm not convinced SJ won't bring him back to have another veteran forward should Kane be out. I feel like I'd rather bet on the eight 'maybes' that could be in the line up than one 'three years' ago, but honestly we could probably use a few more professionals in the room.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
He was decent for 1.5 of his time on the leafs but the last half of his 2nd season on the leafs he was clearly done and that was over 2 years ago.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'll be honest, I haven't seen much of him since he went back to SJ. So I don't have a real good opinion of his play, other than the prevailing opinion I hear on HF. But the prevailing opinion that he's due to retire makes a lot of sense.

What would he realistically be playing for if he could even get a contract?

Last time I saw him play was the pandemic playoffs in 2020 when he was with pittsburgh. He was a non factor, and I was thinking that was going to be it for him.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I never said he was. He has made so much money though that $750k is coffee change to him.

Should've retired when he was still impactful.

Still need a Stanley Cup . If either had won a Cup i don't think they'd still be active.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He needs to. Dude is just cooked. Anything beyond now (and really, the last two seasons) will just eat away at the overall career accomplishments.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Retire Patrick. Take your millions and go play men's rec league like we all eventually do.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Patrick Marleau was still an NHL caliber player last season, and a third-liner the season before. Saying that he's been cooked for a long time it's nonsensical revisionist history

I still can't believe all the hate he got when he broke the record

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Retirement makes the most sense. Maybe a contender adds him for leadership around the room at league minimum as a 13th forward after injuries hit if they lack depth or even a team like Buffalo could use a veteran voice around the room.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
also lmao can we stop telling people when to retire? some people like their jobs, and if teams pay them, why does anyone care
It's wierd right? Fans love players with passion for the game, not just playing for the paycheck, yet when an older player with 100 million+ career earnings hangs around for minimum wage, they get shat on

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
It's wierd right? Fans love players with passion for the game, not just playing for the paycheck, yet when an older player with 100 million+ career earnings hangs around for minimum wage, they get shat on

If you're not scoring at least a point per game, you're a useless scrub who should stay home.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
If you're not scoring at least a point per game, you're a useless scrub who should stay home.
Meh. Not shitting on him, but pretty telling last season that he voiced a desire to go a contender that would want him... and none did.

I mean if there's a spot on your roster for him, go for it. Probably a great mentor for young players. I just don't think that roster is one thats trying to win much at this stage. Will he be a good presence for young players and their development going forward? Don't know. We'll see though.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Oh, I don't think Marleau has anything really left in the tank, to be honest, but I think the cries of "he should have retired years ago" are dumb - both in the sense that he should play as long as he is able, willing, and in demand by someone, and in the sense that this most recent season was the first where his skills really have deteriorated to the point that you can't expect him to be NHL starter material in the next season.

Marleau scored at a second-line rate through 17-18, and third-line level through 19-20. Evolving Hockey's model thinks his defense has been pretty bad for years (it doesn't appear to be to me, but I wouldn't put much stock into that), so that eats into his offensive value, but they still think he was a good enough offensive player to have been worth starting right up until this most recent season (based on GAR - xGAR puts him as pretty bad in 18-19 and about replacement level in 19-20 before dropping back well below replacement level in 20-21).

I could see the argument to retire after the 2020 playoffs, but its not like he was hurting anything by playing one more year and breaking a record (he wasn't blocking anyone and cost only a contract slot).

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Patrick Marleau was still an NHL caliber player last season, and a third-liner the season before. Saying that he's been cooked for a long time it's nonsensical revisionist history

I still can't believe all the hate he got when he broke the record

Marleau was beyond awful in Pittsburgh back in 2020; he was easily the worst player on the team after the trade deadline. Whatever gas he had in the tank at the start of the season was completely spent by the time the playoffs came around. In the final 20 games of the 2021 season, Marleau had 3 points, and none of them were in the last 10 games. Neither of these were even full 82 game seasons. The games played record is a great accomplishment, but Marleau has been washed up for some time now and is surely no longer capable of contributing as a regular in any team's lineup.

Kristo

Dec 26, 2021
Anything new about Marleau? He hasn't retired yet. Will any team sign him before the trade deadline? Maybe as a 13th forward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad