Will Luchanko Make The Team ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Guelph native here, just wanted to ask a question on this form to you Flyers fans who have been watching him closely in preseason and rookie camp. Does Jett Luchanko have a realistic shot at making the team and getting a 9 game audition .

Me personally I would go the Matthew Poitras route . Who played for the Storm two years ago , was send back to junior for his D plus 1 season and made the NHL permanently last season with the Bruins .

I don’t want the Flyers to rush an 18 year old to the NHL and potentially ruin his development. But next year is a different story . He comes back to Guelph and dominates junior hockey and plays in the WJHC , fine tunes his game and develops more elements to his game to make him that Nick Suzuki like center the Flyers see in him .

But what do you think Flyers fans , is Luchanko going to make this team ?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We've been discussing this for a while.

They like the way he looks in camp, but his odds of sticking are slim and none.
He clearly needs work on his offensive skill package, playing 20+ a night in Guelph simply makes more sense for his development.

What does stand out is his skating, mastery of fundamentals, IQ. Good passer too, but not ready for NHL windows and needs a lot of work on his shot. Doesn't look lost for a kid who just turned 18, has a NHL body, but isn't an uber talent who can just step in and produce.

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
No, he should not make the team. Back to Guelph, WJC, trade to Mem Cup contender, should be his plan this year. Now, they may give him a few games as a reward, but it will be better for his offensive skill development if he goes back.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
The fact that this is even being considered is a good sign I guess. 13th OA pick this summer, I don't think that's usually the type of player that makes it straight into the NHL.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Guelph native here, just wanted to ask a question on this form to you Flyers fans who have been watching him closely in preseason and rookie camp. Does Jett Luchanko have a realistic shot at making the team and getting a 9 game audition .

Me personally I would go the Matthew Poitras route . Who played for the Storm two years ago , was send back to junior for his D plus 1 season and made the NHL permanently last season with the Bruins .

I don’t want the Flyers to rush an 18 year old to the NHL and potentially ruin his development. But next year is a different story . He comes back to Guelph and dominates junior hockey and plays in the WJHC , fine tunes his game and develops more elements to his game to make him that Nick Suzuki like center the Flyers see in him .

But what do you think Flyers fans , is Luchanko going to make this team ?
Management is clearly impressed by him and has given him plenty of opportunities to crack the lineup. He's played his preseason games on lines with NHL regulars and has been given PK and PP shifts, as well.

Unless he was really showing NHL ready skill, it was always going to be unlikely that he made the team. The Flyers basically already have 13 full time NHL forwards:

Foerster-Couturier-Konecny
Tippett-Frost-Michkov
Farabee-Laughton-Brink
Cates-Poehling-Hathaway
Deslauriers

Luchanko has shown he can read the game well and plays at NHL speed when the puck's not on his stick. He hasn't really flashed NHL readiness with the puck on his stick, though.

Ultimately, he should go back to Guelph and likely will. He may get a 9 game tryout, which I'm not personally opposed to, but it probably doesn't provide any tangible benefit in the long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: pit and VladDrag

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The fact that this is even being considered is a good sign I guess. 13th OA pick this summer, I don't think that's usually the type of player that makes it straight into the NHL.

Making the team full time? I don't think it's a good sign. This isn't Couturier.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Making the team full time? I don't think it's a good sign. This isn't Couturier.
I meant it's a good sign that he seems to be good enough that it's being considered. If he was some mediocre mid 1st round pick that wouldn't be the case.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I don't think you need a PR win when you have arguably the most exciting rookie already on your team.

Of course they do. They've taken quite a few big Ls. Their POHO's entire job isn't hockey success, it's creating the illusion of success. Nothing about their process is trustworthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad