Will JT/Marner will be on the team to start the 2025-26 season?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which of JT/Marner will be on the team to start the 2025-26 season?

• Marner yes, JT no

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • JT yes, Marner no

Votes: 15 19.7%
  • Neither will be on the team

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Both will be on the team

Votes: 49 64.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
This seems like an interesting question, I'm interested in what people think about this one.
Seriously? Bet the f***in farm that they will both be here.
JT is going nowhere, next year he signs an extremely friendly team deal.
Marner hems and haws but eventually signs before the trade deadline.
Book it.

Nylander didn’t sign a team friendly retirement deal, so I doubt Tavares or Marner do either.
Tavares is the only one in a position to sign a retirement deal. I believe he will, happily.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
I'll be incredibly disappointed to see both re-signed but I think it's likely. I would've moved on from Marner after the Columbus series, definitely after the Montreal series. I do have a lot of time for JT so itd need to be a steep discount, but if he's sub 5M I think it's great value.

• Wow
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Book it.

Tavares is the only one in a position to sign a retirement deal. I believe he will, happily.
Do you think Nylander will sign another contract?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Book it.

The only part that is missing is Mitch signs for 11. Other than that I 100% agree. lol!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Have we seen a single indication from MLSE that their path forward is any different than what we've seen so far?
How about: last summer they said the priority was signing Matthews and Nylander; this summer there has been no such comment about Tavares or Marner.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I mean you guys are buying tickets and going to the games
Business seems pretty good
Lets keep the beleaf alive
Lets run it back again
The team was selling out when we had Toskala in net and Matt Stajan as the line 1C, this doesn't really mean a whole lot. They will always sell out.

• Wow
Reactions: Maple Leaf
Sep 18, 2009
I'll be incredibly disappointed to see both re-signed but I think it's likely. I would've moved on from Marner after the Columbus series, definitely after the Montreal series. I do have a lot of time for JT so itd need to be a steep discount, but if he's sub 5M I think it's great value.
JT stats look good but i cringe when i see him out there on OT too slow i think he is done soon

Reactions: bax

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Book it.

Not sure what you mean by "seriously". I'm just curious about what others think and while I do think the most likely scenario is that they're both with us a year from now, I don't think it's a slam dunk to go down that way and it seems like I'm not the only one.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Not sure what you mean by "seriously". I'm just curious about what others think and while I do think the most likely scenario is that they're both with us a year from now, I don't think it's a slam dunk to go down that way and it seems like I'm not the only one.
Unfortunately, I think it is a slam dunk. That said, I want Marner resigned, but I want the Leafs to walk away from Tavares. I can't stand the retirement contract approach. It's time to move on from the guy. 7 years is long enough.

Reactions: authentic

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I know losing in the playoffs is super frustrating, but people seem to forget our old core. Remember when we held our hopes on Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak and JVR as a core.

This team is routinely getting 100pts and a lock for the playoff before the season starts. We have the longest streak making the playoffs currently.

Bottom line as infuriating as his play can be in the playoffs, Marner is an all-star level player who flirts with 100 pts and has insane vision on the ice. Unless his salary demands are just insane or a blockbuster trade, he will be here for the foreseeable future. The core isn't as dire as it is made out and JT is slowly fading to the background as everyone expected the day he signed. Which frees up money for more moves.

My issue has been every year we change 7-9 players all across the lineup but people act like we are "running it back with the same group" go actually look at the lineups year to year, our D corps is never the same except Rielly. I want this team to actually build a group and run it back so they can build as a group instead of spending half of every year learning to play with new teammates. Top teams make very few moves and the ones they do are meant to be that final piece. Casting Marner aside like trash in any capacity isn't making us better as a team. Those 100ish points have to be replaced from somewhere. Our crop of youngsters are decent but there's no one close to a Marner except a tiny chance Cowan if he can build on last year.

Reactions: authentic

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I've yet to see upper management stray from the core four in any real, serious way. Until I see otherwise, there's no reason to think they'll have the stones to do anything but keep opening the cheque book regardless of whether the formula works or not.

(No, I don't consider Dubas' claims of exploring all options as proof they were gonna change anything. It was all talk up to that point.)

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I've yet to see upper management stray from the core four in any real, serious way. Until I see otherwise, there's no reason to think they'll have the stones to do anything but keep opening the cheque book regardless of whether the formula works or not.

(No, I don't consider Dubas' claims of exploring all options as proof they were gonna change anything. It was all talk up to that point.)
Once Marner and Tavares are resigned, the talk of moving off the core can be eliminated entirely. All of them (except maybe Tavares) will have long-term contracts and won't be going anywhere for years, for better or worse, no matter the results.

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
Without question, if your goal is the cup, one must go.

I think we need lots of change, so I want both gone.

MLSE: if I’m a gutless MLSE type then I’d probably keep Marner. And my big move would be walk away from JT.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Once Marner and Tavares are resigned, the talk of moving off the core can be eliminated entirely. All of them (except maybe Tavares) will have long-term contracts and won't be going anywhere for years, for better or worse, no matter the results.
Yup, then the talk of waiting until our next rebuild will begin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad