Will Cory Schneider eventually win the Vezina?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Point stands, giving yourself odds means you think it is less likely to happen... not affirming that you think it will happen.

I disagree. If you think the Canucks are going to win the cup, and you make a bet that they will - that bet will have odds attached. Perhaps I'm viewing this from more of a gambler's perspective than a fan's.

In any case I gave him 1-1 odds as it's clear he wasn't grasping that particular concept.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Did you? All I saw was a bunch of crying and whining. You know what - since you've been such a passive aggressive little ***** about this, let's make it cash. 100 dollars.

1-1 odds since you still don't understand what odds are.

PM'ing you now.

THE OP:

Even though yours truly won't be able to collect on this bet for 4 years

... and the average cyberlifetime of a poster is less than 4 years

... I figure what the heck, I'll do it!

Someone has to challenge outrageous statements.

And we have to get through the dog days of summer somehow...

Avatar bet for an entire off-season?
mexican.gif

But anyhoo...

How about we make it a $100 donation to this site?

If the loser doesn't pay up he's banned.

AND an avatar bet.

I love avatar bets, never lost one in 2 decades of Canuck message board posting.
mexican.gif

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
THE OP:

But anyhoo...

How about we make it a $100 donation to this site?

If the loser doesn't pay up he's banned.

AND an avatar bet.

I love avatar bets, never lost one in 2 decades of Canuck message board posting.
mexican.gif

Nope, I'm not leaving the site if I lose a bet. Your OP wasn't directed at anyone btw, as you started a thread as opposed to responding to one of my posts.

I will do the donation and avatar combo though.

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Your OP wasn't directed at anyone btw, as you started a thread as opposed to responding to one of my posts.

Actually my thread was a direct response to you.

And I DID quote... two... of your posts.

As explained, a mod asked me to continue the conversation in a new thread

(we were off-topic in the Injury thread).

I will do the donation and avatar combo though.

DONE
mexican.gif

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I disagree. If you think the Canucks are going to win the cup, and you make a bet that they will - that bet will have odds attached. Perhaps I'm viewing this from more of a gambler's perspective than a fan's.

In any case I gave him 1-1 odds as it's clear he wasn't grasping that particular concept.

The odds they place are to encourage you to bet on something that is less likely to happen. the more unlikely the more money you can make, would you bet with a bookie that gives himself 5-1 on something he is saying will happen? That seems to be what you are trying to bully this guy into doing.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Actually my thread was a direct response to you.

And I DID quote... two... of your posts.

As explained, a mod asked me to continue the conversation in a new thread

(we were off-topic in the Injury thread).

DONE
mexican.gif

Anyways...this is getting old. PM me as I've PM'd you, we can PM a mod and virtually shake.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The odds they place are to encourage you to bet on something that is less likely to happen. the more unlikely the more money you can make, would you bet with a bookie that gives himself 5-1 on something he is saying will happen? That seems to be what you are trying to bully this guy into doing.

But that is irrelevant to what you think will happen. They aren't tied into one another ie what you think will happen vs what is likely to happen. That is the whole point of betting and gambling. If I was as confident as this ahem...gentleman...then of course I would make that bet.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I can see Cory moving on from NJ when he becomes a UFA in a couple of years. In the meantime, he will secure the #1 and Brodeur will retire next year. He'll have a fantastic two years in NJ and then get a contract from a contender. If he's going to win the Vezina, it will be in the following 2-3years with this team. He will probably have a SC ring as well.:handclap:

Or in the funniest scenario we trade Luongo just as Schnieder becomes a UFA and he signs with us.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't know...

Schneider is what 27 now.. will be 28 by the end of this season.

We are pretty close to what you see is what you get with him...
People still throw around the 'potential' word with him like he's a prospect, but he flat out is not.

Still a lot of unknowns of how he does as a 60+ gm goalie... still a BIG question of his big game ability due to his history with anxiety issues. He's admitted it's an ongoing problem, so the question is - will it rear its head again in the future.

Played a light schedule strength in 10-11... played a light schedule strength in 11-12.. and when anointed as the number 1 in 13, was shelled in his personal biggest regular season of his career... He wasn't around for the conclusion due to injury... then shelled in the playoffs and botched the series clinching goal.

People like to trump out a team stat like wins, but hows about 1 win in 6 playoffs starts. Pulled in his debut due to anxiety-related cramps, and then botched his 2 latest starts in 2013.

Durability question is a huge one. Big game performance is another. How he looks playing behind a non-Jennings Trophy capable team will be telling.

If I had money down - i would bet against him being a Vezina finalist in career.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Schneider won't resign with the Devils so after he signs with his new team I think he will. New Jersey doesn't have a bright future imo and if he shares the net with Brodeur, I can't see him being happy about that given how much better he is than Brodeur at the moment.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
But that is irrelevant to what you think will happen. They aren't tied into one another. If I was as confident as this ahem...gentleman...then of course I would make that bet.

Thing is you are confident that Schneider will win a Vezina and you are giving yourself odds that you think chances are he won't.

What the bookie (you since you made the bet) thinks will happen is important, that is how they set the odds.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I think Schneider is a fantastic goalie fully capable of winning a Vezina, however, he's going to a team much worse off than the team he had here. It remains to be seen how that will effect him. Look at the last 10 winners:

Bobrovsky (team finished 9th)
Lundqvist (team finished 1st)
Thomas (team finished 3rd)
Miller (team finished 3rd)
Thomas (team finished 1st)
Brodeur (team finished 4th)
Brodeur (team finished 3rd)
Kipper (team finished 3rd)
Brodeur (team finished 6th)
Brodeur (team finished 2nd)

Every single one of those guys except Bobrovsky had a good team in front of them. Likely all of those teams were still playoff teams with an average goalie instead of a Vezina winner. Obviously the fact that most of them finished top 3 in their conference was aided greatly by the fact that they had Vezina goaltending, however, there's no team out of any of those that stand out as as bad as NJ is and will be except for Columbus, and even then, I'd take the team the BJ's have over what the Devils have now.

Agreed. We haven't seen Schneider play with a bad team in front of him, and when the team took nights off in front of him like they did last season, he usually got lit up. His success wasn't all on the team in front of him, he's a top 15 goaltender in his own right, but it certainly didn't hurt to have a pretty solid D-core in front of him. NJ is trending towards lottery territory right now, and I think Schneider will have a tough season.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Thing is you are confident that Schneider will win a Vezina and you are giving yourself odds that you think chances are he won't.

What the bookie (you since you made the bet) thinks will happen is important, that is how they set the odds.

No. In the betting world (ie Vegas) those are the kind of odds that indicate I think he will. Hence the small payout. We'll see what the real Vegas odds are, but I bet they are a lot higher than 5-1. Basically it comes down to the statiscal chance he can win (which is always extremely difficult to pinpoint). So let's say Vegas gives him 20-1 odds. My odds are way lower than that, as I think he will. They aren't 1-1, as the odds are much greater that he won't win. Making equal bets that something with a less than one chance will happen, vs won't happen is not really a fair bet. But whatever, as Strangelove doesn't understand any of this I made a bet that statistically is not in my favour, more to stop the passive aggressive douchery and PMS'ing than anything else.

Bookies just play the numbers, like the house does. And are always successful because of it.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Since wagers are being made, I will bet anyone the Canucks do better in the Post season than both last year and the year before.

Avatar, cash; you name it. In fact, to specify further let's call it at least the second round.

The one stipulation I would add is that first they must make the playoffs, if they do not then the bet is null and void.

As for Schneids, I wish him well. He has less of a supporting cast than he had here imo (as previous posters have mentioned) but I don't see it as too far fetched that he wins a Vezina somewhere along the way in his career.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
You should thank me Diamonddog01 for helping you become a man of your word.

Become? I always was and always will be. You should thank me for saving you from further embarrassing yourself and ending this nonsense while you still had the ability to save face.

You've trolled repeatedly in this thread, including direct insults. I called you out on your petty thread and this has gotten old.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
This has gone on long enough. Bet has been made and there's been little discussion on whether Schneider will win the Vezina in four years.

Time for this thread to be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad