Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2024-25

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Some cuts. No surprises, except maybe that there weren't more of them. Parker and Ritchie looked overwhelmed at times, even though they both have some talent.

"Minnesota assigned D Kalem Parker to the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL), F Ryder Ritchie to the Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) and G Chase Wutzke to the Red Deer Rebels (WHL).
Minnesota also released F Gavin Hain, G Kyle McClellan, F Matthew Sop and D Will Zmolek from their professional tryouts. They will report to Iowa Wild training camp"

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
Some cuts. No surprises, except maybe that there weren't more of them. Parker and Ritchie looked overwhelmed at times, even though they both have some talent.

"Minnesota assigned D Kalem Parker to the Moose Jaw Warriors (WHL), F Ryder Ritchie to the Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL) and G Chase Wutzke to the Red Deer Rebels (WHL).
Minnesota also released F Gavin Hain, G Kyle McClellan, F Matthew Sop and D Will Zmolek from their professional tryouts. They will report to Iowa Wild training camp"
The one thing I remember about Parker was when he fell on his ass in front of Wallstedt.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The one thing I remember about Parker was when he fell on his ass in front of Wallstedt.
Well, he's a 6th rounder, but i was expecting a bit more. He had a very nice Memorial Cup run playing 1st pairing alongside Mateychuk. He can skate, carry the puck, and has decent size. It's always a big adjustment playing against men, some of them NHL regulars, though. It's one thing to watch it, another to be on the ice against it. All of your reads are late, or you're not strong enough, or you get fooled by smarter, more experienced players.

Reactions: Sweetnut

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Trying to figure out Pronman will make a man crazy.

His approach is guesswork, a few trips to eliteprospects.com, and a whole lot of "has a chance."
Well this is certainly a statement. Pronman is right up there with Bob McKenzie in my books.

Some people don’t like Heidt as a player. There’s a reason he never played in the WJC despite obnoxious offensive numbers.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well this is certainly a statement. Pronman is right up there with Bob McKenzie in my books.

Some people don’t like Heidt as a player. There’s a reason he never played in the WJC despite obnoxious offensive numbers.
Bob is not a scout, doesn't hold himself out as a talent evaluator. He aggregates rankings and evaluations based on discussions with those who are scouts and talent evaluators -- hence his long track record of reliable -- not infallible -- assessments. Pronman believes he is a scout and I guess if you think guys like Grigerenko and Mittelstadt are future number one centers then he could be your personal head of scouting. I enjoy reading Pronman but he's way off way often.

Reactions: 57special

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Drafts are throwing darts off-handed with 1 eye closed and standing on 1 foot.

The pre-draft "experts" get plenty things wrong, guys on the broadcast assessing the picks get plenty of things wrong, and The NHL teams themselves get plenty of things wrong.

Tyson Jost (not to pick on him) was ranked high, picked high, and was compared to Toews on the TV.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Bob is not a scout, doesn't hold himself out as a talent evaluator. He aggregates rankings and evaluations based on discussions with those who are scouts and talent evaluators -- hence his long track record of reliable -- not infallible -- assessments. Pronman believes he is a scout and I guess if you think guys like Grigerenko and Mittelstadt are future number one centers then he could be your personal head of scouting. I enjoy reading Pronman but he's way off way often.
If he is way off way often, why did you go back 12 years to use Grigorenko as an example?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I like Pronman. I like Wheeler. But everytime you look at just one list, there are definite question marks. But what these do, when you start to aggregate 5-10 other lists is add a bit of variance, which is actually pretty realistic. They help account for some reaches like Sennecke or Simashev.

If you aggregate without ppl like Pronman, Wheeler and Button (3 ppl hfboards fans often hate) you often get bland lists that actually end up missing the mark quite a bit.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
If he is way off way often, why did you go back 12 years to use Grigorenko as an example?

Time flies and I paid a lot more attention to prospects in those days I guess. Seems like yesterday.

2018 is a better example. His top ten was Dahlin (consensus number one), Svechnikov, Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Quinn Hughes (good call), Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Bokk, Tkachuk, Merkley. So basically no better, and likely worse, than your average poster on these boards. I get that it wasn't a great draft class but I also fail to see where Pronman has amazing insight.

That 2023 redraft article... I get that editors like content, but it's plainly a ridiculous effort from Pronman (that I clicked on).

Reactions: 57special

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Time flies and I paid a lot more attention to prospects in those days I guess. Seems like yesterday.

2018 is a better example. His top ten was Dahlin (consensus number one), Svechnikov, Zadina, Kotkaniemi, Quinn Hughes (good call), Wahlstrom, Boqvist, Bokk, Tkachuk, Merkley. So basically no better, and likely worse, than your average poster on these boards. I get that it wasn't a great draft class but I also fail to see where Pronman has amazing insight.

That 2023 redraft article... I get that editors like content, but it's plainly a ridiculous effort from Pronman (that I clicked on).
You still have to go back 6 years to point out one list that doesn’t look so great. People can misjudge things. It’s not an exact science.

BuiumSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
What has changed for Heidt since he was drafted? In his draft year his numbers were that of a mid first rounder. He’s continued to produce, but there’s still a lot of questions as to how his game will translate.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What has changed for Heidt since he was drafted? In his draft year his numbers were that of a mid first rounder. He’s continued to produce, but there’s still a lot of questions as to how his game will translate.

Nothing really has changed. He's a boom or bust prospect that is following a pretty normal development expectations. I doubt many of the draft guys would have much movement from where they had him in their pre-draft rankings.

TBF it's hard to make much of a jump after a players d+1 season unless they switch to a better/harder league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad