Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2024-25

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Jimmy Clark seems to be in a good spot this year, centering Matthew Wood and Connor Kurth. Not sure what line it technically is, but it was the 2nd one out tonight against St. Thomas.

Reactions: Puhis

Puhis

Will accept caffeine.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Rasmus Kumpulainen played 14:34 and was -1 in a 3-1 loss vs. SaiPa. Whole team seemed phlegmatic, which also extended to Kumpulainen. His linemates were bad, but his own game seemed lackluster. Hogging the puck and floating around as opposed to the aggressive stud we saw earlier on in the season. Not great, but at the same time he's also a young player who's going through what seems like a difficult phase. Seemed like he was benched after Pelicans conceded a short-handed goal halfway through 3rd, giving them the lead.

There are multiple theories and suggestions as to why his form has flattened. Puck-hogging seems apparent from what I've seen, which is an opinion shared by team fans. As said, young player things I hope, and now he needs to adjust as playing "solo" isn't clearly working any more.

On positive news, Aron Kiviharju was 1+1 in an almost-squandered 6-5 OT win vs. JYP. He received 17:17 of playing time, had 2 SOG, and ended with +1.

His goal:

Kiviharju seems to have left his early season struggles behind, being on a form that is nothing short of tantalising. On paper he's still in HIFK's 3rd pairing with former Blue and Panther Petteri Lindbohm, but in practice the playing time is divided fairly equally. I'd say Kiviharju has been HIFK's best defenseman lately, and outside of that red-hot 1st line, also among their best players. Of course form comes and goes as evidenced by Kumpulainen above and so many others throughout the hockey world, but especially in his situation and after effectively missing last season due to injury, the resurgence is very promising indeed. He's showing exactly why he was so highly touted throughout juniors and at the start of his draft year, all of which are good signs for us.

Overall, a mixed week for our Finns. Soini's continuing his development in U20s it seems, and while not the end of the world, I'd like to see a young player establish himself in Liiga. Kumpulainen has flundered along with rest of Pelicans, seemingly caught in a flux and resorting to bad habits as a result. Adjustments are needed there. On the other hand, Aron Kiviharju's play, while hardly a surprise to those who have followed his career for a longer time, is definitely good news given his draft year setbacks.

Liiga season continues today (tomorrow for most of you guys). HIFK travels to Kuopio, facing KalPa, and Pelicans hosts JYP at home.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad