GDT: Wild @ Avs

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Short term they win because of Barrie. Long term we win.

Or...and hear me out on this one, it's kinda crazy...mayhaps both teams can still win or lose this trade in the long term. For the leafs that will be determined by whether they win a cup with him or not...be that this season or after an extension is signed...and for us it depends on how quickly our young blueliners can develop and whether we can get Kadri some help to win a cup ourselves before Naz requires a 9M per deal that would start when Kadri turns 29yo.

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09

avsstix

Oct 6, 2019
Really liking the forward core so far, all 4 lines have looked dangerous at points which isn't something we could say about an avs team in a long time. Jost has looked rough so far, I don't think he has found his skill set at the NHL level yet, he keeps trying to do a little bit of everything instead of finding something that works and going with it, I think 3C may be a good fit for him for now, maybe a promotion of either Compher or Bura to the 2nd. New additions have looked solid, Kadri is a game changer and even Bura has looked solid ( I think there is a healthy bit of confirmation bias going on here about Bura being bad). Even Nuke has looked dangerous with some consistency which is a nice surprise.

Defense has had some chemistry issues to start which is to be expected with them having both new partners and new forwards to deal with, but man is the ceiling on this defense sky high. Gru has also looked solid for the most part, having 2 own goals scored on you doesn't help, looks to be the starting goalie we all hoped he was,

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Didn't watch majority of the game as I was busy, but I keep seeing some conflicting reports that the Avs were good, but moments of being terrible. I saw that they sort of turtled at the end there, but were the better team throughout, pretty accurate?

Reactions: LTC Pain

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Didn't watch majority of the game as I was busy, but I keep seeing some conflicting reports that the Avs were good, but moments of being terrible. I saw that they sort of turtled at the end there, but were the better team throughout, pretty accurate?

The first period was heavily dominated by the Avs, the second was mostly Wild-dominated, as well as Wild "style" of play (boring hockey), third period was more even but ended with some turtling.

Rantanen continued domination, Mackinnon looked frustrated but got two assists. Jost is the new whipping boy. Bura didn't look so hot. Nuke did. On D, Graves and Timmins make mistakes consistently, but Bednar has faith. G and Makar looked great.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Jost is the new whipping boy
Which I don't get, I said some negative things about him yesterday, but you keep ELC players you drafted. They're cost-controlled and have loyalty since the Avs put faith in Jost by drafting him to their organisation.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya, I really think the Avs need to go all in on a high end Top 6 winger.

We have the cap space to make it happen, why not do it. Kadri is very clearly a highly skillled player and give him a quality winger and no doubt at all we would become a 2 headed monster quickly.

This is a team that can legitimately win the cup this year with the right moves. Need to get aggressive and add that last piece. Make Jost/Newhook/Kaut/2019 1st or whatever we need to make available, available to push us over the edge.

I would honestly even consider moving Byram if it was for a truly great piece.

Reactions: Murzu and cgf

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

We have the cap space to make it happen, why not do it. Kadri is very clearly a highly skillled player and give him a quality winger and no doubt at all we would become a 2 headed monster quickly.

This is a team that can legitimately win the cup this year with the right moves. Need to get aggressive and add that last piece. Make Jost/Newhook/Kaut/2019 1st or whatever we need to make available, available to push us over the edge.

No to moving these pieces.

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany

In no way I move Byram for any short term success.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I wouldn’t consider moving Byram right now. And I wouldn’t move Newhook unless it was a top line talent coming back.

I see what you’re saying though. If Colorado made a move for a really good winger to play with Kadri it would make it almost impossible to defend the Avs.

I think Sakic waits until the trade deadline and trades our 1st round pick for someone.

Id much rather trade picks than prospects at this point. The Avs have all the talent they need moving forward in the system. There is no reason to wait 3/4 years for a draft pick next year to join our core.

Reactions: flyfysher

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
In no way I move Byram for any short term success.

I'm not talking short term with Byram included obviously. I didn't think I'd have to make that clear but I guess so....

I'd be talking a guy like Rakell, Huberdeau, Hall(With an extension), maybe Laine...

Guys with term left who and would be high end players. Not a Kreider/Hoffman type of player.

Newhook is an overrated prospect by our boards. He really is.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Maybe the thing I’m most impressed with is we’ve gone into the 3rd with 1 goal leads in both games, and were effective at holding it both times. Night and day better than last year and it’ll be necessary to win games like that come playoff time.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Dont have to move Byram. Just trade the 1st round pick and Jost for a 2nd line winger at the trade deadline. That 1st will most likely be a late 1st rounder anyway.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Maybe the thing I’m most impressed with is we’ve gone into the 3rd with 1 goal leads in both games, and were effective at holding it both times. Night and day better than last year and it’ll be necessary to win games like that come playoff time.
Gru is a big part of this as well, very clutch goaltender. Someone made the Crawford comparison in another thread and I really agree with that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Gru is a big part of this as well, very clutch goaltender. Someone made the Crawford comparison in another thread and I really agree with that.

He has been able to make the big saves when the team needs it and played his best in the 3rd period so far this year. That gives a lot of hope that he may be able to carry the starters role this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $80.00