Why is Yakupov a bust?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Bad coaching advice
Bad hockey IQ
Bad confidence

Low hockey IQ, but also poor work ethic too.

I know Eakins was a dumpster fire of a HC in EDM, but when your coach calls you out and you respond with "I am here to score goals, not play defence" (paraphrased) that sums up where your head is at entirely. Especially when you aren't even scoring goals.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
rushed into the league

He was a first overall pick.

You don't develop those guys slowly--they want to get paid.

I know Eakins was a dumpster fire of a HC in EDM, but when your coach calls you out and you respond with "I am here to score goals, not play defence" (paraphrased) that sums up where your head is at entirely. Especially when you aren't even scoring goals.

I'm not even sure the hockey sense applies here. He does (or at least did in Edm) little things that skilled forwards do. IE getting inside position on defenders, protecting the puck, being elusive. He just has never been able to put it all together. He improves little things in his game when he's challenged, but it always seems like other parts of his game suffer because of it.

Generic hockey cliche: Has tools, no toolbox.

I still don't think he's done though.

Last edited:

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The only reason his rookie season looks decent is the fact he scored 6 goals his last 3 games during garbage time of a shortened year. And the only other time he put up decent stats was two years later during, you guessed it, end of the year garbage time.

Harp about being rushed but the last forward drafted first overall that didn't play straight out of being drafted was Mike freakin' Modano and that was because of a contract dispute.

Also for a guy with such a supposed amazing shot how many one-timers of his have actually hit the net?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't care if someone's a 1st overall pick -- that's irrelevant to whether you play or not on opening night. You play if you earn your roster-spot, not because you're 1st overall.

Guy Lafleur didn't play NHL until he was 20. Joe Sakic at 18 decided to spend another year in the WHL and waited until the next season to join the NHL -- didn't hurt him too much. Same with Mike Modano -- made out all right.

Especially with players from overseas who have other challenges in addition to hockey, I really think it's not a bad idea to find a bridge between minor-pro and the NHL. This could just be another season in the minors with a few games' taste of the big-leagues, or whatever, but a slow transition isn't a bad thing, ever.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't care if someone's a 1st overall pick -- that's irrelevant to whether you play or not on opening night. You play if you earn your roster-spot, not because you're 1st overall.

Guy Lafleur didn't play NHL until he was 20. Joe Sakic at 18 decided to spend another year in the WHL and waited until the next season to join the NHL -- didn't hurt him too much. Same with Mike Modano -- made out all right.

Especially with players from overseas who have other challenges in addition to hockey, I really think it's not a bad idea to find a bridge between minor-pro and the NHL. This could just be another season in the minors with a few games' taste of the big-leagues, or whatever, but a slow transition isn't a bad thing, ever.

Different era.

Prime athletes start their professional careers earlier because it means that second contract gets there earlier. Going back to junior literally costs a star player millions of dollars. You may have a point but you're not going to convince the player, his agent, his parents, the fans...

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Source?

Sounds odd that a guy would say no to the NHL to stay in Jr.
I thought this was just common-knowledge, but anyway here's one source:
https://web.archive.org/web/2011061...ndsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=11437

To belair's point about "different era" -- it's not really different, because players in the late-80s were losing maybe $150,000 salary by staying in minor-pro another year, and the average star's NHL career was shorter then than today.

There's also the consideration that players who 'bust' at 18 or 19 (i.e., Yakupov) face three times the pressure and the whiff of failure at a very young age, which they otherwise might not if they start a bit older. There's also greater risk of injury when you're still growing and so on.

Obviously, it varies from player to player, but for every Crosby who can step in at 18 and score 100 points (or Jimmy Carson, who scored 92 NHL goals in his teens), there are probably 200 draftees who can't make that adjustment.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Oh so many reasons he's a bust.

1. He was a physical beast in junior, but once he got to the NHL he was too small and didn't play with enough tenacity to really be any sort of physical presence game in and game out.

2. His shot while very hard is horribly inaccurate. It doesn't matter how hard you can shoot the puck if you don't hit the net. A handful of times he'd just blow one by a goalie and everyone would be like "WOW what a shot he has" but most of the times he'd just shoot it wide or right into a goalies bread basket.

3. To go along with #2, even if his shot was accurate, he never knew how to get open to use it. I've never seen a player who so frequently is facing the wrong way on the ice. Oiler fans for years accused basically everyone on the team of "looking off" Yakupov and not passing him the puck. It's because he was never actually in a position to shoot the puck.

4. He's a quick player, but not a fast player. You'd never see Yakupov break away from a defender or blow by someone. Just doesn't have the kind of speed you'd expect from a small scoring winger.

5. Overrated stick handling ability. He has a tendency to over handle the puck. Not in the sense that he'd try one move to many, but in the sense that he seems to have difficulty skating with the puck on his stick without losing it. Nothing is ever smooth for Yak.

6. He passes the puck too hard. Seriously lol. Yak never seemed to realize that he might need to take some power off his passes. He'd whip it around and guys just wouldn't be ready for it or it would end up 3 feet off the ice.

7. Zero hockey sense. Like... none. In the o-zone or the d-zone, Yak has no clue what to do out there. He just doesn't process the game at a fast enough level. Ends up in no mans land all the time.

I list all of these things and I realize it comes across like I hate the player. I truly don't. I love Yakupov. He has a wonderful personality, and there was never a player I'd feel better for when he scored. It was just so exciting when he'd bury the puck. You could really sense his excitement and exuberance through the television.

But... he's just not good enough to play hockey at a competent level in the NHL. Unfortunately for him he had a lot of tools that let him destroy junior, but not one of those skills was quite elite enough to make up for all of his other shortcomings.

Maybe he'll be able to head off to the KHL and play there for a few years and find a different style or develop his ability further. I'd love to see a successful Yakupov in the NHL.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Poor hockey sense, poor coaching, poor confidence.

Following Ralph Kreuger's success with Yakupov (scored at a 30g pace), later coaches stopped playing him where he was successful (RW and low on the right side on the PP) and attempted to round him into a complete hockey player.

They succeeded only in beating all offensive skill out of him while he failed to learn the defensive side of the game.

Perfect example of square peg - round hole. Not every player on a hockey team needs to play a 200ft game. He could have been a useful scorer and a defensive black hole instead of a complete bust.

Yea this is it great explanation.
Only the Oilers (Dallas Eakins) would draft a high scoring winger and after he has a good rookie season try to convert him into a 2-way winger playing him garbage minutes with garbage players. All while our veterans Hall and Eberle make turnovers galore. We were such a dysfunctional organization it's crazy. God bless Nicholson and Co.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Yakupov and poor work Ethic don't belong in the same sentence. Guy was one of the hardest working and most passionate Oilers.
Bash him for his IQ and positioning that's fine by me, not work ethic.
Also, he's not wrong. Guy said he'd play goalie if it'd help the team win.

His job was to get points offensively, he was never drafted for his two way play. Yea as a rookie you should be learning it gradually but Eakins wanted to convert him into a D first player, which was never going to work. Eakins had no problem with Gags, Ebs, Hall playing one way hockey but picked a fight with Yakupov over it. Go figure.

Apr 28, 2010
I hope to see him in Montreal first before he leaves for KHL.

Playing for a coach like Julien might help.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Lol "bust". The guy still plays in the NHL." Yakupov has not met expectations"

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He reminds me of Cody Hodgson when he was adjusting to the NHL. He was a very skilled player who had the potential to be a number one centre but he just couldn't be a star.

But Yakupov just can't adjust to the NHL with the body and mind. He does have all the offensive tools though.

Snubbed for the Calder trophy in 2013, should've been a finalist at least.

Last edited:

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Zero hockey IQ.

I afraid I would be the same player like yakupov because when I watch hockey I absolutely not see the options, tactic picture or when and how sombody did some mistake :(

I just love nice plays dangles and passing

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
What went wrong?

He's not a very creative player, like at all. He's a one-track player who doesn't seem to want to change anything in his game to adapt to the league. Sorry, but the league wont adapt to you. You can't play the same style you did in juniors if it doesn't work for 4–5 years. You have to try something else.

Watch all of his goals from his rookie season. It's mostly simpleton tap-ins on nice passes. You can't build a very good career on that.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
would be interesting to see how he turned out if he had never had to deal with Eakins

he had a pretty solid rookie year before Eakins showed up the next year

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
He's a bust because he lacks the mental skills to play top six and lacks the temperament to play bottom six. He's the ultimate tragic tweener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad