Why is Winnipeg the only Canadian team that consistently makes the playoffs yet has a strong prospect pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What a strange thread. Winnipeg isn't close to being a contender and their prospect pool is mediocre. All teams go through peaks and valleys unless you're early 2000s Detroit.
A bit disingenuous. They just finished 4th overall. Yes they got destroyed by Colorado in the first round but a team that is that good in the regular season is a contender.

Prospect pool is middle of the league so mediocre is not accurate either.

Reactions: Monkey D Luffy

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because their GM doesn't make any big moves to put them over the top so they just continue to circle mediocrity.

They are well managed.

Maybe Cheveldayoff(sp?) has over-stayed his welcome from some Winnipeg fans;But from the outset, Chevy has been one of the most consistently good managers in hockey over the last 10 years.

He's Chuck Fletcher 2.0.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
What do you think mediocre means?!?!?
By definition, 'not very good". Middle of the pack is better than "not very good".

Not claiming it is great but there are some legit prospects that could top out as 1st line forwards and a top pairing D. None are sure bets though otherwise they would be ranked higher.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Cheveldayoff is one of the best general managers in the league, that's why. People could argue it with me, but he truly is. Don't believe me? He managed to get players on team friendly deals... in WINNIPEG!

And we are good at drafting and developing prospects.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets prospects are middle of the pack league wise, not bad considering the Jets have never tanked in 2.0 history & getting a bad team in 2011 with a terrible prospect pool. Prospect pool is ranked about 13-15th in the NHL……not bad but I wouldn’t say strong either. Most strong pools got them from being very bad or tanking.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
A bit disingenuous. They just finished 4th overall. Yes they got destroyed by Colorado in the first round but a team that is that good in the regular season is a contender.

Prospect pool is middle of the league so mediocre is not accurate either.
I think they overachieved in the regular season.

You just described the definition of mediocre. Average, but nothing special.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Winnipeg is probably the least desirable market for a star free agent so they pretty much have to have a high success rate when it comes to drafting guys. They likely invest a ton of money in that area, knowing it's their best chance at acquiring elite talent.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
To be fair the only cdn team that has gone to the finals in the last 5 years in a legit year is Edmonton so no cdn teams have anything to brag about. Some have just been mediocre, some have been bad. I’ll take mediocre.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Live in the present not the past, Monsieur
Yes the present is great for habs fans I've been crying for a rebuild for like 20 years these are good times for us. We've been trash on paper for 25 years and made the playoffs and won more rounds than any other canadian team in that span , absolute piss teams on paper every year , the tank was long overdue. Hope we suck next year too

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Yes the present is great for habs fans I've been crying for a rebuild for like 20 years these are good times for us. We've been trash on paper for 25 years and made the playoffs and won more rounds than any other canadian team in that span , absolute piss teams on paper every year , the tank was long overdue. Hope we suck next year too

Don't worry you will and likely the year after and so forth. You are going to have to luck out like Edmonton did or face the constant rebuild cycle that your team or other rebuild teams are in.

I can't imagine the low self esteem it must take to dump on Winnipeg. We live in the coldest city in the Western world half the year and the other half its a Mosquito infested swamp. We can't bail ourselves out signing UFAs and we have to be competitive enough for the fans to keep showing up.

But our soon to be 2 time Vezina winning goalie will continue to drag our team into the playoffs year after year for the foreseeable future and hopefully we get that right mix of youth prospects we draft and vets int he lineup to make a run because that is the best we can hope for.

So in the meantime just enjoy our 1st in the draft and hopefully a Carey Price will come along again and be able to drag your sorry asses into the playoffs too

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
Montreal has an excellent prospect pool but has effectively been tanking forever outside of a single fluke 2021 run. The other Canadian teams that consistently make the playoffs in Edmonton and Toronto don't have good pools. Calgary has an above average one and looks to strengthen it further, but they're still nothing great. Vancouver and Ottawa have sadly been f***ed up by terrible previous management.
We may not have a great pool but we just watched two young guys cement themselves as NHL regulars during a cup run (Broberg and Holloway), that's a nice thing to have.

Reactions: 9911

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Jets have missed the playoffs once in the last 5 seasons. Their prospect pool is clearly in the better half of the league. Not elite of course, but still good.

Using "clearly" when it comes to prospects is generally not a great idea, but I'm not even sure that's true, their prospect group is generally ranked around league average or below league average.

As for why they're in the position they're in? They're comfortable hovering around mediocrity with peaks and valley's outside of it - because in the market its important to be somewhat competitive. Their prospect pool also got a boost recently because 2-3 good trades and picks that are trending well.

I'm not sure most other Canadian teams really care since they've either seen higher highs and/or been at the same level of over a long stretches of the last 25 seasons. This stuff happens in waives, Winnpeg only started consistently making the playoffs in/after 2017. Teams like Edmonton and Toronto (regular season only) have generally better since then and Calgary, Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver were generally better prior to that.

Reactions: viceroy

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hellebuyck. Without him, their record would be a good bit worse and prospect pool would be significantly better. He gives them a .920+ about every other season.

Reactions: viceroy

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
The highest the Jets picked in the last 7 years is #10 overall, after that 14th. To even be middle of the pack is impressive. Most of the teams ahead of them had a shit load of top 10 picks. Exception Minni/Nash/Car.

I am biased but I think the Jets prospect pool is under rated.
Their one pick in the top ten, Perfetti will more than likely be a 30g+ goal scorer. After that they have Heinola (which I think takes a step forward this year), Barlow, Lambert, McGroaty, Lucius, Salomonsson, Chibrikov. Hard to find a star in the draft when you draft outside the top 10 but Jets have some quality guys coming up and Lambert has potential to be a star.

Hellebuyck. Without him, their record would be a good bit worse and prospect pool would be significantly better. He gives them a .920+ about every other season.
Jets played a good defensive game all year and through it all out the window in the playoffs. Brossoit had a .927 sv% in 23 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad