Why is Winnipeg the only Canadian team that consistently makes the playoffs yet has a strong prospect pool?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The highest the Jets picked in the last 7 years is #10 overall, after that 14th. To even be middle of the pack is impressive. Most of the teams ahead of them had a shit load of top 10 picks. Exception Minni/Nash/Car.

I am biased but I think the Jets prospect pool is under rated.
Their one pick in the top ten, Perfetti will more than likely be a 30g+ goal scorer. After that they have Heinola (which I think takes a step forward this year), Barlow, Lambert, McGroaty, Lucius, Salomonsson, Chibrikov. Hard to find a star in the draft when you draft outside the top 10 but Jets have some quality guys coming up and Lambert has potential to be a star.

Jets played a good defensive game all year and through it all out the window in the playoffs. Brossoit had a .927 sv% in 23 games.

Helle was 1st in the league in goals saved above expected and he won by 11 goals. I don't think he's finished lower than 8th in that stat since 2018-19.

Many of the Canadian teams have been on the opposite end of that. It's just easier to look good consistently when you can always count on that variable being tipped in your favor.

Reactions: viceroy

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
the teams that make the playoffs consistently without a strong prospect pool tend to be teams that never "goes for it", Nashville is a good example, Winnipeg falls in the same category. If the fanbase is fine with 1st or 2nd rnd exits and the media doesnt exert pressure, that is feasible. teams that consistently make playoffs and has nothing in its pipe are either perennial contenders or very mismanaged, making bad "all-in trades" that do not pan out.

their market and management style plays a lot into it is all Im saying,.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
One thing I always remember when I hear or read "prospect depth"--until they succeed in the playoffs it means nothing, Also, jets made out like bandits in a few trades that has helped.

IN the last 10 years how many rounds have the jets made it beyond the 1st round of the playoffs? Cup final appearances. Just making the playoffs is not the goal--doing some damage in the playoffs is the goal

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
the teams that make the playoffs consistently without a strong prospect pool tend to be teams that never "goes for it", Nashville is a good example, Winnipeg falls in the same category. If the fanbase is fine with 1st or 2nd rnd exits and the media doesnt exert pressure, that is feasible. teams that consistently make playoffs and has nothing in its pipe are either perennial contenders or very mismanaged, making bad "all-in trades" that do not pan out.

their market and management style plays a lot into it is all Im saying,.
I think it's fair to say the jets went for it picking up Monahan and toffoli. Also fair to say they failed miserably.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
They've picked 18th, 14th, 18th, and 10th in recent years.

Makes sense they'd have an average prospect pool

jetsmooseice

Up Yours Robison
Feb 20, 2020
Don't worry you will and likely the year after and so forth. You are going to have to luck out like Edmonton did or face the constant rebuild cycle that your team or other rebuild teams are in.

I can't imagine the low self esteem it must take to dump on Winnipeg. We live in the coldest city in the Western world half the year and the other half its a Mosquito infested swamp. We can't bail ourselves out signing UFAs and we have to be competitive enough for the fans to keep showing up.

But our soon to be 2 time Vezina winning goalie will continue to drag our team into the playoffs year after year for the foreseeable future and hopefully we get that right mix of youth prospects we draft and vets int he lineup to make a run because that is the best we can hope for.

So in the meantime just enjoy our 1st in the draft and hopefully a Carey Price will come along again and be able to drag your sorry asses into the playoffs too
On the UFA thing, now that we have a pretty big sample size to look back at, I honestly wonder if the Jets are doomed unless it can somehow follow the Edmonton model of tanking hard to bumble your way into multiple generational players?

Hear me out.

Chevy has by all accounts done a good job of drafting and developing. Maybe he hasn't knocked it out of the park at every turn, but it's been good. He has also done a great job of getting a solid return on players who want out for one reason or another.

However, the missing puzzle piece has proven to be any kind of key UFA signings to plug holes in the team. It is not such a struggle for other teams to find long-term solutions to gaps like secondary scoring, or defense. The best Chevy can do is finding "UFAs from within" like Scheif and Helle.

Edmonton used to be like that too, but now with McDrai they are a desirable destination. They have several UFA acquisitions in key roles on the team.

It's fine to finish fourth overall and get into the playoffs, but constantly disappointing everyone by crapping out in the first round does nothing to build the fanbase and sell season tickets. Mind you, the prolonged rebuild worked in Edmonton because they may be the most blindly loyal fanbase after Toronto. There wouldn't be the same degree of patience here in Winnipeg to sit through a decade of missing the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad