Why is McDavid so little known outside of hockey?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He plays in Canada.

This is actually a plus for him. He gets MORE endorsements in Canada, not less.

America doesn't give a f*** about hockey on a national, marketing level. There are hockey fans but they're basically localized to their own home team and that's usually their no.2/3 team after whatever NFL or NBA or MLB team is in their market (in many cases below also NCAA basketball and football too).

McDavid wouldn't change anything no matter what market he played in. Crosby, Ovechkin, Patrick Kane couldn't move the needle and break through as household names in the US, McDavid wouldn't either if he happened to get drafted by say ... Buffalo or Phoenix. It would have made no difference.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is actually a plus for him. He gets MORE endorsements in Canada, not less.

America doesn't give a f*** about hockey on a national, marketing level. There are hockey fans but they're basically localized to their own home team and that's usually their no.2/3 team after whatever NFL or NBA or MLB team is in their market (in many cases below also NCAA basketball and football too).

McDavid wouldn't change anything no matter what market he played in. Crosby, Ovechkin, Patrick Kane couldn't move the needle and break through as household names in the US, McDavid wouldn't either if he happened to get drafted by say ... Buffalo or Phoenix. It would have made no difference.
Don’t forget college football. In any state worth a damn the majority of the sports fan’s number one love will be a college football team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Canadian who plays on a Canadian team. Hope he plays in the States on a US team soon

Because Crosby, Ovechkin, Lemieux, Lindros sure grew the sport in the US and made it more popular than the NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball .... not.

Americans will never put hockey in the same tier as the big three US sports (football, basketball, baseball). McDavid could play for LA, New York, Chicago on a rotating basis and it would make no difference.

That's all there is to it.

Caitlyn Clark, a women's basketball player will be more popular than any hockey player that ever lived in the US, that's just how it goes.

People need to stop being delusional about this.

Hockey, if it's *lucky* needs to hold off soccer in the US, the only really leg up they have is soccer is even lower scoring than ice hockey, if it wasn't for that, soccer would probably have already overtaken hockey in the US.

Reactions: torontoblood

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Because Crosby, Ovechkin, Lemieux, Lindros sure grew the sport in the US and made it more popular than the NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAA Football, NCAA Basketball .... not.

Americans will never put hockey in the same tier as the big three US sports (football, basketball, baseball). McDavid could play for LA, New York, Chicago on a rotating basis and it would make no difference.

Caitlyn Clark, a women's basketball player will be more popular than any hockey player that ever lived in the US, that's just how it goes.

Hockey, if it's *lucky* needs to hold off soccer in the US, the only really leg up they have is soccer is even lower scoring than ice hockey, if it wasn't for that, soccer would probably have already overtaken hockey in the US.
They did grow the sport.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They did grow the sport.
All sports grow with growing population to some degree (at least one would hope so).

Crosby can't even get a nationwide big ticket marketing deal from any big brand in the US.

Gretzky at least had some McDonalds and Nike spots in his hey day (although generally they were not just focused on him).

We've gone backwards since Gretzky. Patrick Kane had virtually no marketing footprint in the US despite being American, good on camera, flashy player type, multiple Cups, no.1 overall pick, in a huge market in Chicago.

The idea that McDavid would be much different in the US when Crosby/P. Kane/Ovechkin can't get shit for big ticket marketing deals in the US is laughable. Crosby's biggest marketing ticket is Tim Horton's ... in Canada ... for the Canadian audience.

Dunk'n' Doughnuts and Starbucks in the US wouldn't touch Crosby with a 50 foot pole, no one cares about him on a national level. His marketing is largely for Canadian TV viewers and Canadian corps/subsidiaries.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Gretzky is a lot more known buddy, he has also had his name dropped in a lot of rap songs, featured in talk shows etc. Even up until now. McDavid has not had this much recognition.
Never said Gretzky wasn't known...hence my "LA" qualifier...just that he's not a very charismatic sort.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio

Hockey is really only going to be popular en masse and/or on a grassroots level in its traditional areas of the Upper Midwest and New England/Upstate New York. This is well known, due to climate, cost, and history.

I never said anything about McDavid growing the sport past other leagues, that would be silly to say. All I said was I'd love for McDavid to play in the States on a US team, mainly because I live in the States and don't like most of the Canadian teams and also because McDavid would be a more relevant name here.

Idk why you got in a tizzy lmao.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hockey is really only going to be popular en masse and/or on a grassroots level in its traditional areas of the Upper Midwest and New England/Upstate New York. This is well known, due to climate, cost, and history.

I never said anything about McDavid growing the sport past other leagues, that would be silly to say. All I said was I'd love for McDavid to play in the States on a US team, mainly because I live in the States and don't like most of the Canadian teams and also because McDavid would be a more relevant name here.

Idk why you got in a tizzy lmao.

You've seen that movie like 4 times already. McDavid wouldn't do anything in the US that Crosby, Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, Mario Lemieux couldn't.

No NHL hockey player can score a big ticket national marketing deal or big product line from a big brand like Nike in the US. It just is what it is.

If you're getting a McDonalds or Gatorade/Pepsi Co. deal it's for McDonalds Canada or Pepsi Canada for commercials in ... Canada.

McDavid's endorsements would go down in the US, not up. In Canada he has major Canadian brands like Rogers, CIBC, and a new deal with Alo on top of the usual hockey equipment sponsors, in the US no chance is he sniffing endorsements with like Verizon, Wells Fargo, etc.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
You've seen that movie like 4 times already. McDavid wouldn't do anything in the US that Crosby, Ovechkin, Patrick Kane, Mario Lemieux couldn't.

No NHL hockey player can score a big ticket national marketing deal or big product line from a big brand like Nike in the US. It just is what it is.

If you're getting a McDonalds or Gatorade/Pepsi Co. deal it's for McDonalds Canada or Pepsi Canada for commercials in ... Canada.
Dude, you keep replying with the same shtick. We get it.

All I said is I want McDavid to play in the States because it's more relevant for me and other people here.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dude, you keep replying with the same shtick. We get it.

All I said is I want McDavid to play in the States because it's more relevant for me and other people here.

You guys have enough stars in the states, Canada hasn't had a home grown hockey superstar like McDavid since 1988 when Gretzky was sold off like a piece of meat. You can chill out, you've had plenty to watch the last several decades.

McDavid is on TNT/ESPN all the time too so what difference does it even make, if you're one of the very few American NHL fans who actually watches games outside of your local team, its very easy to see McDavid play, easy to sub to ESPN+.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
All sports grow with growing population to some degree (at least one would hope so).

Crosby can't even get a nationwide big ticket marketing deal from any big brand in the US.

Gretzky at least had some McDonalds and Nike spots in his hey day (although generally they were not just focused on him).

We've gone backwards since Gretzky. Patrick Kane had virtually no marketing footprint in the US despite being American, good on camera, flashy player type, multiple Cups, no.1 overall pick, in a huge market in Chicago.

The idea that McDavid would be much different in the US when Crosby/P. Kane/Ovechkin can't get shit for big ticket marketing deals in the US is laughable. Crosby's biggest marketing ticket is Tim Horton's ... in Canada ... for the Canadian audience.

Dunk'n' Doughnuts and Starbucks in the US wouldn't touch Crosby with a 50 foot pole, no one cares about him on a national level.
Do you have point? The NHL is niche, it’s a regional sport and it does quite well. In the US the majority of sport fans are excited about the upcoming college football season. In fact every college and high school in the country is working out and practicing today. Every newspaper is writing about it. That ain’t changing anytime soon.

Be thankful markets in the US have embraced the sport.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
The NHL is run by morons who don't know how to market. Outside factors like video games and movies have marketed hockey better than the NHL ever has

Look at what Dana White has done with a fringe sport.
I like the comment, but that wasn't enough. I had to let the world know: this effin' guy gets it. You can feel free to lock the thread, Mods.

Paul Hayman found a way to turn The Sandman, Raven and the Dudley Boyz into houshold names. Give him McDavid and watch every except Silver and Goodell squirm.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
He plays in Canada.
Even worse, he plays in Edmonton. A small market deep up north in Canada away from the border. If he played for a big market he would be more marketable. But honestly, there's still a lot of people out there who have no clue who Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are. I think hockey fans overestimate how many (few) people actually follow hockey close enough in America to know who the biggest stars are. Hell, most Americans probably couldn't point to where Edmonton is on a map.

Thinking McDavid will ever be as popular as Gretzky or Mario is dumb, not sure why anyone expects that.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Do you have point? The NHL is niche, it’s a regional sport and it does quite well. In the US the majority of sport fans are excited about the upcoming college football season. In fact every college and high school in the country is working out and practicing today. Every newspaper is writing about it. That ain’t changing anytime soon.

Be thankful markets in the US have embraced the sport.

The point is this is a challenging marketing environment even for the NBA and MLB. Luka Doncic and Giannis Antokpempo (however you spell his name) are not even household names to a lot of people. Luka has a massive Nike/Jordan brand deal behind him too.

Expecting the NHL which has never marketed well and has no major marketing support from any US national big ticket brand for a national marketing campaign to be doing something is kind of insane.

It doesn't matter if McDavid had a personality and it wouldn't make a difference if he played in a different market.

Hockey in the best of times would have major problems marketing a star in the US, in the modern scape where even Hollywood, the music industry, the NBA, Nike (their stock is bombing this year), MLB have problems creating young stars ... you have to be realistic about what you're asking for.

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Even worse, he plays in Edmonton. A small market deep up north in Canada away from the border. If he played for a big market he would be more marketable. But honestly, there's still a lot of people out there who have no clue who Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin are. I think hockey fans overestimate how many (few) people actually follow hockey close enough in America to know who the biggest stars are. Hell, most Americans probably couldn't point to where Edmonton is on a map.

Thinking McDavid will ever be as popular as Gretzky or Mario is dumb, not sure why anyone expects that.

Mario was never that popular on a national scale. Gretzky is the only hockey player that's ever moved a needle in the US and even his level of popularity is overstated by hockey fans.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'm sure it's been said, I won't read the entire thread -- but it's because McDavid is boring, quiet and not particularly attractive and hockey has nearly no cultural cachet in the US and seemingly no workable plan to increase it.

Reactions: Nineteen67

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Has just as many lowlights for his diving and tantrums as he does highlights for his play. His character issues makes it very difficult to be respect him, let alone market him.
I'm no Oilers fan by a long shot, but this is all bullshit and I doubt you actually believe any of it yourself.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The point is this is a challenging marketing environment even for the NBA and MLB. Luka Doncic and Giannis Antokpempos (however you spell his name) are not even household names to a lot of people. Luka has a massive Nike/Jordan brand deal behind him too.

Expecting the NHL which has never marketed well and has no major marketing support from any US national big ticket brand for a national marketing campaign to be doing something is kind of insane.

It doesn't matter if McDavid had a personality and it wouldn't make a difference if he played in a different market.

Hockey in the best of times would have major problems marketing a star in the US, in the modern scape where even Hollywood, the music industry, the NBA, Nike (their stock is bombing this year), MLB have problems creating young stars ... you have to be realistic about what you're asking for.
I have no idea who those basketball players are, but no one expects the NHL to compete with the NFL, College football, MLB or college baseball in the south.

Be happy the sport is at least on the radar and the games and atmosphere in many US markets is much better than in most Canadian markets.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I have no idea who those basketball players are, but no one expects the NHL to compete with the NFL, College football, MLB or college baseball in the south.

Be happy the sport is at least on the radar and the games and atmosphere in many US markets is much better than in most Canadian markets.

Exactly ... even the NBA is having problems marketing their younger wave of stars who are comparable to McDavid in age.

Most non-basketball fans don't know who Luka Doncic, Giannis Antempemko, Jason Tatum, Nikola Jokic are.

Those are actually the more relevant comparables as they are around the same age as McDavid. Comparing to like LeBron who's been in the NBA for like 20 seasons now and entered pro sports in the completely different world of a $100 million dollar Nike deal back in 2003 is not even an apples oranges comparison.

It will be interesting to see how the NBA handles being without LeBron, Curry, Durant because all of these guys are getting old and obviously there's no Jordan or Kobe.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Exactly ... even the NBA is having problems marketing their younger wave of stars who are comparable to McDavid in age.

Most non-basketball fans don't know who Luka Doncic, Giannis Antempemko, Jason Tatum, Anthony Edwards are.

Those are actually the more relevant comparables as they are around the same age as McDavid. Comparing to like LeBron who's been in the NBA for like 20 seasons now and entered pro sports in the completely different world of a $100 million dollar Nike deal back in 2003 is not even an apples oranges comparison.

It will be interesting to see how the NBA handles being without LeBron, Curry, Durant because all of these guys are getting old and obviously there's no Jordan or Kobe.
Most US sports fan don’t watch MSPN, other than live games, so they don’t know about those guys.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Most US sports fan don’t watch MSPN, other than live games, so they don’t know about those guys.

"nobody"

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad