Why is Mashintor in the NHL over Morin?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
The concept of Goons shouldn't be hard to still grasp. Sure you can talk about it being not worthy of justified but it's pretty simple to understand "why"

In Mashinter's case he is not really a goon. He is just a AHL lifer type.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
The concept of Goons shouldn't be hard to still grasp. Sure you can talk about it being not worthy of justified but it's pretty simple to understand "why"

I get the concept of a goon, but the Quenneville Hawks don't need a pure fighter to win Cups, and have never been known for playing anywhere close to a hard-hitting, gritty style of hockey. This regime (usually) expects people to bring something else to the table, which even people like Bickell and Byfuglien showed they had, but Mashinter honestly doesn't.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Morin has been dismal failure in NHL

Mashintor will throw some hits , Go to net and generally give you 100% effort every night even if he doesn't have the talent

No reason to have Morin up on Hawks. He isn't good enough for top 6 role and he is not a fit for bottom 6 role

Lets not forget Morin didn't want to be here anyway and asked out last year

Actually he hasn't been. He was a serviceable 3rd line player here before Columbus. He is actually a good 3rd line fit now. He can score, is physical, plays hard, and now it seems he is more consistent in his own end and overall.

No he was god awful when given chance with Hawks last year and failed in Columbus to point they cut losses and gave him back to Hawks

And AHL success for a failed NHL talent means very little. Just look at how good Bickell did with Hogs

Again you are wrong about everything other than the Columbus part. Marin was a good to decent player here but lacked consistency. He did not turn out to be a top 6 wing but he can be a damn solid 3rd line wing that can score.

Morin has never been horrid or dismal or any of those other favorite adjectives BWC likes to spew. And when it comes to he over Mashinter, there is no argument. Morin is better, though that's not saying much. I think BKL has a point in that Morin could be prove to be bettter than a few of the bottom sixers that have been auditioned lately.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
I can't say I notice him really at all. How much time is he even averaging - five minutes a game? Definition of irrelevant, useless player.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I can't say I notice him really at all. How much time is he even averaging - five minutes a game? Definition of irrelevant, useless player.

Thats kind of the problem.

If a player isnt good enough to merit more than 5 minutes ice time, he has no place on the roster.

Those minutes he's not playing are minutes other guys have to eat. And all those extra minutes add up over a season.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I'd wager it's probably an attitude thing, but it's hard to blame him.

Imagine being traded back to the organization you wanted out of. He must feel cursed.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Mash wasn't exactly the type of Player that would thrive on the 'hawks, but Morin definitely wasn't the answer.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Someone replace Morin with Panic in the title. Why does Q just find a way to put this guy in there? What is so special about him? Its just really strange. I thought we had seen the end of him once Weise came into the line up, now he is playing over Panic? Whos next, is he going to play over DJ when Hossa comes back? I am starting to think even when Kruger is back he will still hold a spot over Rasmussen, DJ and Panik.

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I really think it comes down to expectations of each player.

Morin, rightly or wrongly, has been perceived as a disappointment while somehow Mash surprises people a bit.

Not sure how one keeps the human nature out of it.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
I really think it comes down to expectations of each player.

Morin, rightly or wrongly, has been perceived as a disappointment while somehow Mash surprises people a bit.

Not sure how one keeps the human nature out of it.

I am not talking about Morin anymore, I am talking about why Mashinter plays over Panic or anyone for that matter.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Q has always had a blindspot for useless meatheads.

Never forget the only reason Saad drew into the lineup in 2013 was because of an injury to 1st liner Dan Carcillo.

Never forget Bollig.

Eager.

The list is long.

BreadKick

Feb 7, 2016
I am sure Mashinter is absolutely necessary in this team. Brandon definitely has some secret feature that will scare ****less opponnents in play-offs. We can have no idea what is that feature now, only Q knows.

Rexy

May 2, 2012
London, Ontario
Actually he hasn't been. He was a serviceable 3rd line player here before Columbus. He is actually a good 3rd line fit now. He can score, is physical, plays hard, and now it seems he is more consistent in his own end and overall.

ten career goals (two last season) says otherwise

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
ten career goals (two last season) says otherwise

I was talking about the 8 goals in 39 games before the attitude/#freemorin **** started.

That would come out to 17-20 goals over a full season which would be a serviceable 3rd line player.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Not understanding the scorn

Mash puts in an honest effort and I cant recall many mistakes while playing

Is he ideal? No but its regular season and he serves his role as #13 F well in this situation

I don't want him playing in playoffs of course and that should be a non issue once Kruger + Hossa are back

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Not understanding the scorn

Mash puts in an honest effort and I cant recall many mistakes while playing

Is he ideal? No but its regular season and he serves his role as #13 F well in this situation

I don't want him playing in playoffs of course and that should be a non issue once Kruger + Hossa are back

If you don't understand, can it really be explained?

You don't play someone over a host of more talented, better players just because they "play hard". All things equal do you choose the guy who brings effort? Sure. But there are a HOST of players in Rockford right now that are more talented and bring "effort".

BFD if he can throw a few hits if he's mostly worthless at everything else. I'm kind of shocked that being the only one on this side of the argument hasn't tipped you off about how wrong you really are.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If you don't understand, can it really be explained?

You don't play someone over a host of more talented, better players just because they "play hard". All things equal do you choose the guy who brings effort? Sure. But there are a HOST of players in Rockford right now that are more talented and bring "effort".

BFD if he can throw a few hits if he's mostly worthless at everything else. I'm kind of shocked that being the only one on this side of the argument hasn't tipped you off about how wrong you really are.

Who would that be?

And what benefit would those players receive playing on Hawks 4th line sparingly or as healthy scratch?

Playing playoff hockey for Hogs is more valuable for them going forward then sitting in hawks press box many nights and knowing that come April they wont play at all

And Bollig is not as bad as you claim him to be and in his role currently as 4th liner/extra forward he is hardly an issue for Hawks

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I'm with BWC on this. Mashinter isn't ideal, but he hasn't been a problem either. The Hawks have given quite a few looks to prospects from Rockford, and for the most part none of them did anything to stand out or make me question Mashinter's spot in the lineup. They're also better off playing a bigger role in Rockford than replacing Mashinter's unimportant role with Chicago.

I think this has a lot to do with many Hawks fans looking for things to complain about, and not liking the style of play guys like Mashinter bring. I could care less if he goes back to Rockford, but I don't really care if he plays while other people are out. The Hawks are still in a great position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad