Why has Tyler Toffoli played on 7 teams in the past 5 years?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He’s right in that sweet spot of being desirable but also expendable.
This pretty much sums it up.

Everyone wants to add scoring, good around the net, and reasonably gritty. But then, the moment you have trouble with balancing out the cap, wingers who make good money but aren't at quite first line level are the ones to go.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Think that math is right- LA to Van to MTL to Calgary, back to MTL, back to Calgary, then on to NJ, Winnipeg, and now SJ. So- 7 teams, 9 different stops(!) since 2019-20 season.

A) Just wanted to call attention to the modern day Mike Sillinger- idk about you, but I still tend to think of the dude as a king, and I hadn’t realized just how much he’s moved about.
B) Any particular reason he tends to get moved so much? I figure he’s a solid 2nd line scorer, and those are simply one of the more movable and wanted pieces come deadline time. It’s also not a job that tends to get long-term contracts, either you look like you could play 1st line or you aren’t worth building around for 5+ years, y’know? So now he’s moving outta his prime and maybe realizes cups are tough, so he just took money and stability in SJ? Does he stay there, or challenge Sillinger for the title? Anyone ever hear any bad team-guy stuff or anything?

Every team he played on failed at being a contender so he was moved.

LA was past their window and rebuilding.
VAN didn't sign him.
MTL was past their window and rebuilding.
CGY rebuilding
NJD didn't make the playoffs.
WPG couldn't afford to re-sign him.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Think that math is right- LA to Van to MTL to Calgary, back to MTL, back to Calgary, then on to NJ, Winnipeg, and now SJ. So- 7 teams, 9 different stops(!) since 2019-20 season.

A) Just wanted to call attention to the modern day Mike Sillinger- idk about you, but I still tend to think of the dude as a king, and I hadn’t realized just how much he’s moved about.
B) Any particular reason he tends to get moved so much? I figure he’s a solid 2nd line scorer, and those are simply one of the more movable and wanted pieces come deadline time. It’s also not a job that tends to get long-term contracts, either you look like you could play 1st line or you aren’t worth building around for 5+ years, y’know? So now he’s moving outta his prime and maybe realizes cups are tough, so he just took money and stability in SJ? Does he stay there, or challenge Sillinger for the title? Anyone ever hear any bad team-guy stuff or anything?

He never went "back" to Montreal nor did he got "back" to Calgary.

The Canadiens traded him to Calgary. That's it.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Toffoli had some unlucky timing with heading to free agency right as the pandemic happened with the flat cap. Devils seemingly wanted to extend Toffoli despite the team being middling last season, but Toffoli understandably had a high asking price as he probably didn't get as big a contract in 2020 as he originally expected.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
I think he's always had his eye on California due to his start as a King. His wife is from Monterey CA (coastal surf and golf town in northern California) so San Jose is the closest logical choice. Maybe he figured the warmth will not make his skates feel like cement in winter, because we don't have true winter here.

PS I chuckle at some of you mentioning that Toffoli signed here to play with "elite and promising talent" and "nice, top-end" players. LOLOLOLOL we have neither of those come on now.
Yup he forgot to take into account what he should have learned from 3-0 series loss to the Kings ... the sharks are cursed. Celebrini the sure thing is done for his career and Michkov the huge risk is here tearing it up while Wee Willy Smith is playing himself out of the league.

• Haha
Reactions: hotcabbagesoup

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Yup he forgot to take into account what he should have learned from 3-0 series loss to the Kings ... the sharks are cursed. Celebrini the sure thing is done for his career and Michkov the huge risk is here tearing it up while Wee Willy Smith is playing himself out of the league.
Normally you are one of the beacons of sunshine for the Sharks board, but it looks like you've lost hope too haha

• Haha
Reactions: karltonian

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
You don’t really win with a player like Tyler Toffoli.

Nice regular season scoring option for average or bad teams. Good teams don’t want him and as a team is becoming good, he’s expendable.

20 goals in 93 career playoff games and generally goes completely invisible when the game gets tougher.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
-- May have bad breath
-- May be a potato-chip bowl 'double-dipper'
-- Favorite Police song may be 'Man In A Suitcase'
-- May idolize Gary Smith, Brent Ashton, etc.
-- May enjoy new-teammate initiations

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
You don’t really win with a player like Tyler Toffoli.

Nice regular season scoring option for average or bad teams. Good teams don’t want him and as a team is becoming good, he’s expendable.

20 goals in 93 career playoff games and generally goes completely invisible when the game gets tougher.
This. Hes a goal scorer but one not made for the fast pace of playoffs. Teams realize this and have no desire to keep him. And when he's on bad teams playoff teams look for scoring so he's a good asset.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad