Why has Tyler Toffoli played on 7 teams in the past 5 years?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He’s right in that sweet spot of being desirable but also expendable.
This pretty much sums it up.

Everyone wants to add scoring, good around the net, and reasonably gritty. But then, the moment you have trouble with balancing out the cap, wingers who make good money but aren't at quite first line level are the ones to go.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He is a very good supporting player, therefore always attractive to add for a run.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Think that math is right- LA to Van to MTL to Calgary, back to MTL, back to Calgary, then on to NJ, Winnipeg, and now SJ. So- 7 teams, 9 different stops(!) since 2019-20 season.

A) Just wanted to call attention to the modern day Mike Sillinger- idk about you, but I still tend to think of the dude as a king, and I hadn’t realized just how much he’s moved about.
B) Any particular reason he tends to get moved so much? I figure he’s a solid 2nd line scorer, and those are simply one of the more movable and wanted pieces come deadline time. It’s also not a job that tends to get long-term contracts, either you look like you could play 1st line or you aren’t worth building around for 5+ years, y’know? So now he’s moving outta his prime and maybe realizes cups are tough, so he just took money and stability in SJ? Does he stay there, or challenge Sillinger for the title? Anyone ever hear any bad team-guy stuff or anything?

Every team he played on failed at being a contender so he was moved.

LA was past their window and rebuilding.
VAN didn't sign him.
MTL was past their window and rebuilding.
CGY rebuilding
NJD didn't make the playoffs.
WPG couldn't afford to re-sign him.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Think that math is right- LA to Van to MTL to Calgary, back to MTL, back to Calgary, then on to NJ, Winnipeg, and now SJ. So- 7 teams, 9 different stops(!) since 2019-20 season.

A) Just wanted to call attention to the modern day Mike Sillinger- idk about you, but I still tend to think of the dude as a king, and I hadn’t realized just how much he’s moved about.
B) Any particular reason he tends to get moved so much? I figure he’s a solid 2nd line scorer, and those are simply one of the more movable and wanted pieces come deadline time. It’s also not a job that tends to get long-term contracts, either you look like you could play 1st line or you aren’t worth building around for 5+ years, y’know? So now he’s moving outta his prime and maybe realizes cups are tough, so he just took money and stability in SJ? Does he stay there, or challenge Sillinger for the title? Anyone ever hear any bad team-guy stuff or anything?

He never went "back" to Montreal nor did he got "back" to Calgary.

The Canadiens traded him to Calgary. That's it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad