Why does everyone hate Ryan Kesler?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I know he has a bit of a mean streak but I happen to find him a very likeable player. He plays the game as hard as anyone and he always takes the toughest matchups each night, and can shut down any line in the league.

I see a lot of people say Thornton needs a cup, or Ovechkin. Which seems very odd to me. You hate Kesler and then support a complete d bag and the biggest ******* in the league in Ovechkin. You people are so hypocritical. :shakehead

He is a jerk on and off the ice.

Aestivalis

Oct 29, 2013
Because he says stupid, arrogant **** like 'No human being can withstand that many hits' then loses while said human being skates off to win the Conn Smythe. :laugh:

That is some legendary crow to be eating. See you at the links, Kes! :golfnana:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I like Kesler. Mike Richards embarrassing him all series in 2012 is one of my favorite hockey memories :naughty:

I think he's toned it down a little bit on the Ducks which is probably why OP is struggling with the issue, but the guy has (had?) a mouth and arrogance not commensurate with his talent, had no problem throwing cheap shots but diving when anyone got near him, and refused to answer the bell unless he got to spot pick.

Hell of a defensive center and plays his role to a T though, and has had remarkable production bounce-back from his injury issues as well.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
It's mainly from his time on the Canucks. He's toned it down quite a bit since being on the ducks. Very effective on ice player but his arrogance was off the charts and rubbed people the wrong way. Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows were all punks on that team, just made people hate the Canucks.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I loved it when Canada sent Kesler a message in the World Cup pre-tournament games. After he ran around in the first game trying to be an agitator, in the next game those back-to-back hard hits by Tavares and Thornton had Kesler tucking his tail between his legs and keeping quiet the rest of the way.

This is pretty much how I see Kesler, he runs around, thinks he's a tough guy, and then as soon as he's put in his place, he cowers.

He's a good player when he's not pretending to be tough tho.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
This is pretty much how I see Kesler, he runs around, thinks he's a tough guy, and then as soon as he's put in his place, he cowers.

He's a good player when he's not pretending to be tough though.

Domi earned a place in my heart for the number he did on Kesler :D

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I love Kesler

Plus he is the only player I have ever seen who single handedly won a playoff series when Vancouver played Nashville

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Love Kesler. Two way forward, blocks shots and is not afraid to get dirty.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Dives, whines, cries, doesn't fight when challenged, dirty hits. For lack of a better term he's a little B word.

Anybody have that gif of his cartwheel dive while skating past Mike Richards a couple years ago ? That was embarrassing.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I hate holding and interference and how players get away with it now and he is very good at utilizing that officiating tendency to his advantage. I've seen him literally sit on a player before.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Wasn't he the guy who was talking smack about Backes' wife Kelly during the playoff series between St Louis and Vancouver?

My serious answer: I don't think he shows respect for his opponents out there. He hits people in vulnerable situations, and generally comes across as a jerk.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Only player I have ever got a jersey of that's not on my team. If people think whining and diving are an issue but still like guys like Crosby and hate cheap shots but like guys like Marchand... Its a joke to hate Kesler.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont. He is smart, defensive beast and very effective twoway player. He does some stupid **** but he does them for the right reasons. Player you hate to play against and would love to have on your team.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I know he has a bit of a mean streak but I happen to find him a very likeable player. He plays the game as hard as anyone and he always takes the toughest matchups each night, and can shut down any line in the league.

I see a lot of people say Thornton needs a cup, or Ovechkin. Which seems very odd to me. You hate Kesler and then support a complete d bag and the biggest ******* in the league in Ovechkin. You people are so hypocritical. :shakehead

You complain that Kesler is hated seemingly for no reason, and then you call Ovechkin a d-bag for no reason.

Do you see the irony in what you wrote?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Some people in Vancouver hate Kesler because, when traded he said the Canucks won't be competitive for four years. This came after the Sedins were extended (by hockey genius Aquilini) for four years!

scorvat53

Jan 21, 2017
I love Kesler

Plus he is the only player I have ever seen who single handedly won a playoff series when Vancouver played Nashville

He was my favourite player when he was in van, That nashville series he was on another level.

Davey Duck

Mar 26, 2006
*Stolen from Detroit
Bet you would mind if you looked at his Corsi. :naughty:
HINT: He has a worst CF% than Yakupov.

Among the 381 forwards with at least the 39 games Yakupov has played, one of these players ranks 15th in % of offensive zone starts and the other ranks 361st (18th worst). And the latter leads the league in defensive zone faceoffs, with 42 more starts than the next closest player. I think you can guess which player is which.

And these players both have the exact same Corsi. Interesting choice of players to compare.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad