Speculation: Why do some buyouts reduce a team’s total cap hit for a year

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
Was looking at the Blue Jackets on CapFriendly and apparently Boqvist’s buyout is $-66k for next season followed by a $533k. I’m pretty sure this isn’t an error because Wennberg’s buyout is $891k next season and their total “dead cap” between the 2 buyouts is $825k (891 + -66). Don’t understand why a team could possibly get a positive penalty for buying out a contract. I would assume for some reason the player owed the team money but why should that count towards the cap??

Obviously 66k doesn’t make any noticeable difference for a team like the Blue Jackets that isn’t trying to compete next year but it could be beneficial for a contender very close to the cap.

Also, I used cap friendly to calculate Nurse’s buyout in the playoffs after he had a bad game. Apparently he would’ve had a -$800k penalty in year 1 or 2 (I forget which year exactly) of his buyout, which could’ve made a big difference for the Oilers.

Why does this site keep reloading the page while I’m typing then only remembering half of what I typed???

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Could have checked the FAQ on capfriendly since you were already there.

Basically, if the salary is higher than the AAV, the calculation turns it into a saving. If it's lower than the AAV, the cap penalty is bigger.

This is why front-loaded contracts are "buyout-proof" because they can lead to a huge penalty when the salary is a lot lower than the AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad