Why didn't Lindros want to play in Quebec?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Baltimore Colts

Except John Elway was drafted by the NFL Baltimore Colts in 1983.

1983 NFL Draft - Wikipedia

Colts moved to Indianapolis in 1984. No impact on the Elway situation.
The team was market shopping at the time though and Bob Irsay was an erratic racist alcoholic. The city was even talking an immenent domain seizure of the team, which the NFL would let a team move mid season to avoid.

The fallacy there is that Elway could have kept the Colts in Baltimore given the circumstances.

Other factors included the very real threat of the USFL scooping up talent and the Baltimore coach Frank Kush and he Elways absolutely hating each other. It was also an open secret Kush wanted the Colts o move to Phoenix.

Anyway Denver owes its titles to #1 overalls not signing with their drafting team.

Reactions: Killion

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I never fully understood his reasons for not wanting to play for Quebec? Lack of nationwide media exposure? The French language? Canadian dollars?
Comes down to who you want to believe

I lived in Vancouver while this was going on and according to the guys I knew who worked for the cbc Vancouver made an offer but lindros nuked the deal. He said He would have gone to any other Canadian team but I have my doubts on this

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Lindros was on a French language program on SRC out of Montreal a few months back, "Tout le Monde en Parle". He said he had absolutely nothing against Quebec City and it was the specific ownership group that he refused to play for and nothing more. On that program he also donned a Nordiques jersey.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Lindros was on a French language program on SRC out of Montreal a few months back, "Tout le Monde en Parle". He said he had absolutely nothing against Quebec City and it was the specific ownership group that he refused to play for and nothing more. On that program he also donned a Nordiques jersey.

Ya I caught that.... and that was exactly what went down. Neither he nor his parents along with then agent Rick Curran trusted Marcel Aubut, were fully cognizant of the fact that without a new building & or a serious cash infusion into the club it was going to be moved, figured that was Marcel Aubuts plan, and they simply wanted to have some control over where Eric would start & likely play out his career. So they told him upfront "please dont pick me in the Draft, wont report". Aubut however steamed right ahead as having Lindros under contract or tied up would bolster & beef up the franchise value. Lindros didnt want to be a pawn in that game. Problem? I dont think so. However he & his family absolutely vilified, crucified by the press, Aubut pouring on the kerosene.

And of course to make matters even worse.... Lindros had also refused to report to Sault Greyhounds of the OHA, reason given that it was too far from home, he wanted to go to university & nothing academically in the area that was suitable. Yet Phil Esposito who like Aubut a few years later publicly denying the club was for sale while privately dealing with Peter Karmanos to sell him the Greyhounds who would them to SW Ontario or Detroit needed to tie up Lindros in order to bolster the franchises value, maximizing return, "Lindros comes with". Ironically, Lindros who as was the case with Aubut caught wind of all of this, refused to report, signed directly with Karmanos & Compuware, forcing the OHA to make changes, Lindros winding up in Oshawa, Esposito eventually selling to a local group once it got out what he'd been up to.... Players only have a small window of opportunity to control, alter their futures, have "choices".

Why anyone would have a problem with Eric Lindros exercising such basic fundamental rights I really dont know but yes, a great many unaware of the situations, hidden agendas' at play attacked the Lindros's, unfairly painting Eric as an arrogant, self entitled Brat, who's parents & agent were completely out of line. Demonized. An ingrate. A label that dogged him throughout his career, to this day. Many viscous enough to relish the manner in which his career wound down, the Stevens hit sweet justice for having thumbed his nose at the system & establishment.

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Ya I caught that.... and that was exactly what went down. Neither he nor his parents along with then agent Rick Curran trusted Marcel Aubut, were fully cognizant of the fact that without a new building & or a serious cash infusion into the club it was going to be moved, figured that was Marcel Aubuts plan, and they simply wanted to have some control over where Eric would start & likely play out his career. So they told him upfront "please dont pick me in the Draft, wont report". Aubut however steamed right ahead as having Lindros under contract or tied up would bolster & beef up the franchise value. Lindros didnt want to be a pawn in that game. Problem? I dont think so. However he & his family absolutely vilified, crucified by the press, Aubut pouring on the kerosene.

And of course to make matters even worse.... Lindros had also refused to report to Sault Greyhounds of the OHA, reason given that it was too far from home, he wanted to go to university & nothing academically in the area that was suitable. Yet Phil Esposito who like Aubut a few years later publicly denying the club was for sale while privately dealing with Peter Karmanos to sell him the Greyhounds who would them to SW Ontario or Detroit needed to tie up Lindros in order to bolster the franchises value, maximizing return, "Lindros comes with". Ironically, Lindros who as was the case with Aubut caught wind of all of this, refused to report, signed directly with Karmanos & Compuware, forcing the OHA to make changes, Lindros winding up in Oshawa, Esposito eventually selling to a local group once it got out what he'd been up to.... Players only have a small window of opportunity to control, alter their futures, have "choices".

Why anyone would have a problem with Eric Lindros exercising such basic fundamental rights I really dont know but yes, a great many unaware of the situations, hidden agendas' at play attacked the Lindros's, unfairly painting Eric as an arrogant, self entitled Brat, who's parents & agent were completely out of line. Demonized. An ingrate. A label that dogged him throughout his career, to this day. Many viscous enough to relish the manner in which his career wound down, the Stevens hit sweet justice for having thumbed his nose at the system & establishment.

Let us not forget that Aubut came to the Lindros home to meet with Eric's parents and, not knowing that Bonnie spoke French, said something insulting about the family to one of his entourage that she heard and understood. Sealed the deal in the Lindros' eyes.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Let us not forget that Aubut came to the Lindros home to meet with Eric's parents and, not knowing that Bonnie spoke French, said something insulting about the family to one of his entourage that she heard and understood. Sealed the deal in the Lindros' eyes.

Yeah, the whole situation really unfortunate for Lindros, for the fans in Quebec saddled with Aubut as they were.... incendiary situation on so many levels.... I was squarely in the Lindros camp then & absolutely smelled a Rat.... you could just see what was coming for the good people of Quebec City who deserved a lot better than what they got... Lindros & his family (along with Rick Curran for that matter) unfairly, duplicitously & deceitfully demonized.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't think there's any doubt that Lindros's parent mis-managed him.

Having said that, he just did what all of us do in our lives/careers. He tried to work out the best situation for himself, and took the best he could. Did he go outside the "system" of the NHL draft? Yes. Does that bother me? No. If you opt to buy out of the system, that's your right.

Lindros's image problem (and, I think, the reason some people still love to hate on him 25 years later) was that he was quite unsmiling, and didn't act humble and grateful for all the gifts he'd been given. He was a high-school student being told by his family and the international sports media that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hardly surprising he lost his perspective a little bit.

Here's my question: How was Lindros any more a bad person than, say, Craig Simpson? In 1985, Simpson was the co-#1 draft choice with Wendel Clark, and he told the Maple Leafs' organization not to draft him because he didn't want to play for their (then) train-wreck organization. Simpson seemed to get a pat on the back for this; at worst, no one held it against him. But seven years later, Lindros is suddenly enemy #1 for doing the same thing....?

Last edited:

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
ere's my question: How was Lindros any more a bad person than, say, Craig Simpson? In 1985, Simpson was the co-#1 draft choice with Wendel Clark, and he told the Maple Leafs' organization not to draft him because he didn't want to play for their (then) train-wreck organization. Simpson seemed to get a pat on the back for this; at worst, no one held it against him
Or Tom Lysiak. Or Michel Goulet. Or Bryan Berard. Or dozens of other cases that were never reported in the media. Lindros was not the first or last prospect who wanted to have a choice in who he played with.

It's hilarious (not in a funny way) that some fans still get more offended by what Lindros did than they do about players who beat their wives or get arrested for drunk driving.

whatname

Jan 29, 2012
I don't think there's any doubt that Lindros's parent mis-managed him.

Having said that, he just did what all of us do in our lives/careers. He tried to work out the best situation for himself, and took the best he could. Did he go outside the "system" of the NHL draft? Yes. Does that bother me? No. If you opt to buy out of the system, that's your right.

Lindros's image problem (and, I think, the reason some people still love to hate on him 25 years later) was that he was quite unsmiling, and didn't act humble and grateful for all the gifts he'd been given. He was a high-school student being told by his family and the international sports media that he was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hardly surprising he lost his perspective a little bit.

Here's my question: How was Lindros any more a bad person than, say, Craig Simpson? In 1985, Simpson was the co-#1 draft choice with Wendel Clark, and he told the Maple Leafs' organization not to draft him because he didn't want to play for their (then) train-wreck organization. Simpson seemed to get a pat on the back for this; at worst, no one held it against him. But seven years later, Lindros is suddenly enemy #1 for doing the same thing....?

Bryan Berard also did the same to Ottawa. He wasn't criticized close to the extent Lindros was. I guess maybe people hated Lindros' parents so much? Kind of like how lots of people wants to see Lonzo Ball fail because of their hatred for Lavar Ball.

Randy Marsh

Aug 20, 2012
It came down to ownership. The family didn't think Aubut would have enough money to put a winning team around Lindros while paying him market value.

They also felt that he was incompetent as an owner, which he proved to be true when he traded Lindros to 2 teams at once.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Ya, called Fire on Ice, and the explanation they gave for refusing to allow Eric to report to the Sault was all about "education". They wanted Eric to finish High School & go on to University, however, SSM didnt then nor does it now have a University, in addition to which the team itself, its philosophies at that time (and to this day is the case with most Major Jr clubs) was that hockey came first, education second. In other words, more than likely the kid wouldnt even finish HS if he played for Sault Ste Marie.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I just had to comment on this.

Education? There is no way in hell that Lindros was going to go to University. He was Draft eligible in 1991, when he was in Grade 12. This was not a unique situation. The Gretzky's had reservations for playing in SSM as well. However, the owner told Gretzky and his father, that if they did not like it after a couple of months, he would honor any trade request Gretzky had. The owner flew the Gretzky's up to SSM, and it made such an impression that Wane and his dad changed their mind. Compare that with the SSM owner visiting the Lindros family, only to be shouted at by Bonnie, Carl, and Brett about "how can you do this to Eric???"

The irony of Lindros not reporting to the Sault was that the Greyhounds became competitive enough by 1991 to knock off the Oshawa Generals in the finals, and win the OHL Championship.

Last edited:
Reactions: McRpro and Killion

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I just had to comment on this.

Education? There is no way in hell that Lindros was going to go to University. He was Draft eligible in 1991, when he was in Grade 12. This was not a unique situation. The Gretzky's had reservations for playing in SSM as well. However, the owner told Gretzky and his father, that if they did not like it after a couple of months, he would honor any trade request Gretzky had. The owner flew the Gretzky's up to SSM, and it made such an impression that Wane and his dad changed their mind. Compare that with the SSM owner visiting the Lindros family, only to be shouted at by Bonnie, Carl, and Brett about "how can you do this to Eric???"

The irony of Lindros not reporting to the Sault was that the Greyhounds became competitive enough by 1991 to knock off the Oshawa Generals in the finals, and win the OHL Championship.
Lindros attended York University part-time in 1990-1991 when he was playing for the Oshawa Generals.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
lindros never put on the jersey, just put it under his arm.

lindrosgiletnordiques.gif

I forget where I read it, but apparently Peter Forsberg is an avid jersey collector and years later he ended up in possession of the jersey that Lindros refused to wear.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Lindros attended York University part-time in 1990-1991 when he was playing for the Oshawa Generals.

Well he certainly was not going to get a degree in anything at that point in time. The point is, the University excuse (like everything else) is rubbish. The Lindros parents dictated everything about their son's career, and it's a shame Eric never learned to stand up to them, like a man.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I forget where I read it, but apparently Peter Forsberg is an avid jersey collector and years later he ended up in possession of the jersey that Lindros refused to wear.

Ironically enough, Lindros not only put on the Quebec Nordiques jersey years later, married a Quebec woman, and admitted that he would have played for Quebec in retrospect.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
as far as bad hockey parents go, effing up what could have been an all-time career and having to settle for “just” being an mvp, superstar, olympic gold medalist, and hall of famer is pretty small beans compared to, say, jack johnson. or patrick o’sullivan. or bobby ryan. or linden vey.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
as far as bad hockey parents go, effing up what could have been an all-time career and having to settle for “just” being an mvp, superstar, olympic gold medalist, and hall of famer is pretty small beans compared to, say, jack johnson. or patrick o’sullivan. or bobby ryan. or linden vey.
yep
and he is still extremely well-liked in Philly

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Gretzky was overlooked and dismissed by so many great hockey minds (he went undrafted)

He went undrafted because he was ineligible to be drafted. The Oilers dropped to the bottom of the 1979 Entry Draft because Gretzky was not made available to be drafted because of his personal services contract with Peter Pocklington.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This person also told me that Lindros could have signed a 2 yr deal and then become a UFA and walked and the Nords would have had no recourse.I believe his word, he's a top agent.

A top agent that doesn't understand the basics of NHL free agency?

An 18-year old cannot sign a two year deal and become an unrestricted free agent when that contract expires.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Who do they bring in as goaltender? Perhaps they make a play for Hextall.

Just before the 1994 Expansion Draft, there were netminders available - and cheap - because their clubs couldn't protect them.

John Vanbiesbrouck, for example, was traded to the Vancouver Canucks for Doug Lidster. I suspect the Nordiques would have been happy to ship a veteran blueliner to the Rangers for Beezer.

But then again, the Nords lost Ron Hextall because of how highly they regarded Stephane Fiset, so they may not have bothered.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
OT but is it just me or did stephane fiset and mathieu garon have really similar careers?

both were hotshot french goalie prospects. both eventually got passed by a better french goalie prospect (thibault, theodore), both second round picks, both CHL goalie of the year, both eventually found their way as a kind of tweener bad team starter that bounced around, each won a cup as a backup.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I never fully understood his reasons for not wanting to play for Quebec? Lack of nationwide media exposure? The French language? Canadian dollars?

If lindros is to be believed, then it was all to do with the nords owner at the time. Hearing his interviews in recent years, he had a big beef with him.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If lindros is to be believed, then it was all to do with the nords owner at the time. Hearing his interviews in recent years, he had a big beef with him.
Aubut seemed like a big DB. I mean who makes deal with two clubs literally an hour apart for the same player. Let's not forget he yanked the team out of Quebec without much consultation with the community, and sold it to the highest bidder. Say what you want about Shankerow, and the Jets ownership, but at least he tried to make things work, giving the city years to come up with a local buyer, before giving an emotional press conference announcing the team would be sold to non-locals.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
My memory is very hazy, but I believe Lindros stated years ago (perhaps 1992?) that he was willing to sign with Quebec for 2 years. Aubut countered with a 10 year offer, from which Aubut didn't bulge. Now I realize that Lindros would not have been a free agent after 2 years, which makes me question the veracity of his story. Does anyone remember hearing or reading anything about this?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad