Confirmed with Link: CBJ hire Don Waddell as President of Hockey Operations and General Manager. JD to serve as Senior Advisor

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
By comparison to the rest of the league we're about average to above-average.

That’s what you took from what I wrote?

Ignoring the fact that you skipped the entire refutation of the idea we want to hate for unreasonable reasons, how do we compare to the teams of our era - the Wild, Preds, Thrashers/Jets? The Preds seem to have a different kind of “nepotism” going on there with Brian Poile.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
We seem to hire an unusually large number of ex Jackets. Meanwhile a lot of sports coaching/management legends are hired from other teams than the team they played for. Part of that is you don’t want to hire your own guy and then have to fire him which creates bad blood. Part of that is you want new ideas.

Universities tend not to hire their own graduates as professors because they don’t want academic inbreeding. Even good universities do this.

If we look at that rather successful football team down the road as a model, the successful football coaches are not former OSU football players and the guy who just concluded a rather successful run as Athletic Director was from Notre Dame. Sure there are a couple of ex players working in media or assistant coaching, but if they ever want a head coaching or high level administrative gig, they will need to go elsewhere and prove themselves.
Some of Ohio states best coaches are guys who have come back to help the team. Specifically looking at Hartline and Laurinitis.

Sakic in Colorado

Yzerman in Detroit.

Grier in SJ

Briere in Philly

Shane Doan was in a high up position until the team moved to Utah.

I do agree that you do need outside help, but hiring from within isn't always a bad practice.

Reactions: Viqsi and LJ7

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Regardless, it's good that Nash gets to be under Waddell now, so he gets to experience two different GMs (Jarmo and Waddell) and learn first hand. It's up to him how much and how well he learns. That Athletic article certainly paints the picture even clearer, i.e. 2-4 years from now Nash is the GM. I'm fine with that. Better then than now.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Some of Ohio states best coaches are guys who have come back to help the team. Specifically looking at Hartline and Laurinitis.

Sakic in Colorado

Yzerman in Detroit.

Grier in SJ

Briere in Philly

Shane Doan was in a high up position until the team moved to Utah.

I do agree that you do need outside help, but hiring from within isn't always a bad practice.

Hartline and Laurenitis are great assistant coaches. Laurenitis went to Norte Dame to start coaching under Freeman. Neither one will be the head coach at OSU without proving himself elsewhere. The potential former player that might be considered as the next head coach is Vrabel who has made a name for himself away from OSU. Freeman or Fickell are also trying to prove themselves away from OSU.

Yzerman worked for the Lightning. Grier worked for several teams besides the Sharks. Briere went to manage the Maine Mariners, and ECHL team for several seasons. Sakic is the closest comparable to Nash.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Hartline and Laurenitis are great assistant coaches. Laurenitis went to Norte Dame to start coaching under Freeman. Neither one will be the head coach at OSU without proving himself elsewhere. The potential former player that might be considered as the next head coach is Vrabel who has made a name for himself away from OSU. Freeman or Fickell are also trying to prove themselves away from OSU.

Yzerman worked for the Lightning. Grier worked for several teams besides the Sharks. Briere went to manage the Maine Mariners, and ECHL team for several seasons. Sakic is the closest comparable to Nash.
You're not wrong, but Nash also now has the advantage of learning from a GM outside of the organization, without having to leave the organization. And Waddell bringing people from Carolina here now means he gets to see a different perspective on how others do things. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more turnover in other areas in the next few seasons as well.

I don't think there's one right or wrong way to do things.

Reactions: Viqsi

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
You're not wrong, but Nash also now has the advantage of learning from a GM outside of the organization, without having to leave the organization. And Waddell bringing people from Carolina here now means he gets to see a different perspective on how others do things. I wouldn't be surprised if we see some more turnover in other areas in the next few seasons as well.

I don't think there's one right or wrong way to do things.

I am mostly arguing against that it is some anti-Jackets bias that has people upset that Nash was given the opportunities he has been given within the organization. I don’t want any of my favorite teams hiring from the inside or giving a a guy an easy path to leadership.

I’d love for Michigan to keep up the “Michigan Man” bs and keep hiring former players.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I am mostly arguing against that it is some anti-Jackets bias that has people upset that Nash was given the opportunities he has been given within the organization.
I am willing to allow for the possibility that one or two other people have slightly more nuanced reasons. But the bulk of the complaints are undoubtedly because of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad