Why did Quebec not get a team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
American fans always talk about the financial bonanza that is the U.S.. Fine. Take that "massive" U.S. TV contract and split it 25 ways. In fact, take ALL U.S. revenue and split it 25 ways. While, at the same time, leave the tiny Canadian TV contract and CDN revenue income and for Canadian teams.

After all, if the U.S. market is as lucrative as you say, why wouldn't you want to keep it all for yourselves?

Don't pretend like you are doing us Canadians a favour. Let's us keep Canadians dollars in Canada and we'll worry about whether Edmonton, Calgary, Ottawa and QC are sustainable.

Golly, with that attitude why don't we just split the League at the border? Then it could be like the NFL and the CFL. Sounds like everybody would be much happier!

I vote YES.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
The only thing I have against Canada and Canadian hockey is the number of folks who are snotty and insufferable about hockey in general and who deeply resent the growth of the game that has allowed people like me to appreciate it.
I've seen many, if not just as many, anti-Canadian posts on here either wishing ill on the Canadian teams or on Canadian hockey in general.

With some of these Canada haters even, hypocritically, demanding respect from Canadian fans.

Y'all aren't perfect, either.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I've seen many, if not just as many, anti-Canadian posts on here either wishing ill on the Canadian teams or on Canadian hockey in general.

With some of these Canada haters even, hypocritically, demanding respect from Canadian fans.

Y'all aren't perfect, either.
Good point. A bunch of U.S. posters talking down to Canadians and criticizing Canadian teams when it's our dollars that keep many of their teams afloat. Then, heaven forbid, we ask for an 8th team. The hypocrisy is deafening.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
Good point. A bunch of U.S. posters talking down to Canadians and criticizing Canadian teams when it's our dollars that keep many of their teams afloat. Then, heaven forbid, we ask for an 8th team. The hypocrisy is deafening.
Thats where the problem lies. Ya'll don't ask for an 8th team, you bleat and moan about teams in warm weather cities, most of which are doing fine in terms of finances and interest, and spit on the fans there like it should be the easiest decision to axe us from participating. I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for whiny Canadian hockey fans. Ya'll don't need 8 teams. Players don't like small Canadian markets. There is no money in QC to purchase a team.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Yup, there seems to be some paranoia with some US fans in that they see things that aren't there.

When we say, "We would love another team in Canada." They seem to hear, "We demand less teams in the USA!"

Funny thing, the NHL just posted about our National Day of Reconciliation for first nation's kids that suffered in residential school on their Instagram page. And a bunch or US fans in the comments are randomly talking shit about Canada

But yup, it's the Canadian fans who are the most toxic. Logic.

Thats where the problem lies. Ya'll don't ask for an 8th team, you bleat and moan about teams in warm weather cities, most of which are doing fine in terms of finances and interest, and spit on the fans there like it should be the easiest decision to axe us from participating. I'm sorry, but I don't feel sorry for whiny Canadian hockey fans. Ya'll don't need 8 teams. Players don't like small Canadian markets. There is no money in QC to purchase a team.
Believe it or not, I agree with you. QC doesn't have the money of a team, and frankly I am very content with 7 teams in this country. Sure there was technically 8 teams here at one (very brief) point, but there was no financial prosperity during that time and we all knew it was only a matter of time before we lose 1-2 or even 3 teams.

But as far as whiny Canadians,
I actually agree with you that QC can't support a team anymore. I'm actually very content with 7 teams in Canada. Sure we may have 8 teams at one (very brief) point, but there was no financial prosperity during that time and everyone knew it was a matter of time before we lose 1-2 or even 3 of them.

As for saying Canadian fans are whiny, I don't doubt there some of is are. But on the flip side, check out this recent thread.

It's quite literally meant as a random shot at Canada disguised as a legitimate question regarding attendance. So don't think we don't have to put op with bullshit, either.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bixby Snyder

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Keep Canadian money IN Canada and QC can compete. It's U.S. teams that can't compete without those Canadian dollars.
For now maybe.... but on a growth business perspective, not sure your point will be valid in 10 or 20 years from now. Like it or not, NHL is now an American thing and IMO, NHL and Bettman are targeting the biggest TV Contract on national USA network.

That is why you currently have some USA fans being a bit... cocky. USA has the size, the numbers and the money.

As I said, Canadian team have been paying and still are for the development of the sunbelt and USA NHL markets....and by extension, Canadian fans are also paying for this.

Never in any world would the NHL have accepted a Canadian team playing in a 5000 barn and supporting a bad hockey franchise over more than a decade.... like they did with the Coyotes and with other US franchise. That says it ALL for me.

Reactions: Bixby Snyder

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Thats where the problem lies. Ya'll don't ask for an 8th team, you bleat and moan about teams in warm weather cities, most of which are doing fine in terms of finances and interest, and spit on the fans there like it should be the easiest decision to axe
Come on now....you were around when Atlanta, Florida, Nashville, Phoenix, and Carolina struggled with attendance. "They" heard demands for these teams move to Canadian markets because that was what was being posted.

We of course, at the time many of us had doubts. That was many years ago.

But those teams have long since proved themselves as worthy and not nearly as many people are trashing them like they did in the early 2000's. As haply as I was to see Winnipeg back I really felt bad for ATL fans because I know it had nothing to do with attendance and more with lousy owners.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Golly, with that attitude why don't we just split the League at the border? Then it could be like the NFL and the CFL. Sounds like everybody would be much happier!

I vote YES.
It might come to that at some point in the future. Based only on numbers, not taking all the question of culturel aspect (IMO hockey's more important to Canadian history and culture than for US folks), numbers are south of the border.

IMO,based on agglomeration area, 3 Canadian cities might be confirmed in the future to compete with big US cities + Edmonton and Calgary.

IMO it is sad... but it os what it is.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
We of course, at the time many of us saw doubts.

But those teams have long since proved themselves as worthy and not nearly as many people are trashing them like they did in the early 2000's.
Which, after losing TWO teams to relocation, sucks. I don't think (mostly) anyone should lose a team. It's brutal.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yup, there seems to be some paranoia with some US fans in that they see things that aren't there.

When we say, "We would love another team in Canada." They seem to hear, "We demand less teams in the USA!"

Funny thing, the NHL just posted about our National Day of Reconciliation for first nation's kids that suffered in residential school on their Instagram page. And a bunch or US fans in the comments are randomly talking shit about Canada

But yup, it's the Canadian fans who are the most toxic. Logic.
Were you not alive for the "make it 7" period? The Winnipeg and Quebec fans were actively cheering the failure of Atlanta. And the entire Canadian hockey media was on board. The volume of fans and Canadian media actively rooting for fans to lose their team was massive.

After Atlanta moved, it became just the Quebec fans, but they have over the course of years been actively and vocally cheering for Carolina to fail, for Florida to fail, for Arizona to fail.

Canadian fans have absolutely, 100% been demanding fewer teams in the US. Incessantly. Those of us who have been on the receiving end have noticed.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Come on now....you were around when Atlanta, Florida, Nashville, Phoenix, and Carolina struggled with attendance. "They" heard demands for these teams move to Canadian markets because that was what was being posted.
Shit, its not that it was just posted in here, news agencies in Montreal would constantly hound us with rumors of a pending QC move every time the Habs played the Canes for about 3 or 4 years straight before Dundon bought the team. It was constant rumormongering from Quebec media to churn up discussion around the team moving to QC. Everyone salivated and almost celebrated the fact the Canes were bad because it only brought them one step closer to "an undeserving sunbelt team moving to a real hockey market in Canada".

For any fanbase who has dealt with it, its been completely insufferable. They think they are entitled to what they want, and they have no problems taking a crap all over anything you like if they decide you aren't worthy of it anymore.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Shit, its not that it was just posted in here, news agencies in Montreal would constantly hound us with rumors of a pending QC move every time the Habs played the Canes for about 3 or 4 years straight before Dundon bought the team. It was constant rumormongering from Quebec media to churn up discussion around the team moving to QC.

For any fanbase who has dealt with it, its been completely insufferable. They think they are entitled to what they want, and they have no problems taking a crap all over anything you like if they decide you aren't worthy of it anymore.
I always thought the same from US folks....... appreciation and sensitivity are a bizarre thing :)

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
Shit, its not that it was just posted in here, news agencies in Montreal would constantly hound us with rumors of a pending QC move every time the Habs played the Canes for about 3 or 4 years straight before Dundon bought the team. It was constant rumormongering from Quebec media to churn up discussion around the team moving to QC. Everyone salivated and almost celebrated the fact the Canes were bad because it only brought them one step closer to "an undeserving sunbelt team moving to a real hockey market in Canada".

Dude if the Canes moved to QC they could go 0-82 till the end of time and they'd still sell out forever. Because hockey is in their veins. Not like us.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
I always thought the same from US folks....... appreciation and sensitivity are a bizarre thing :)
Depends on how you define entitlement. I don't think it's entitlement to want to keep your team or to want another shot after your last team was cut short like Atlanta fans.

I think it is entitlement to want to see teams removed from their fans because it would benefit you, or for the schadenfreude of seeing American fans lose their team as some sort of "revenge" for Southern expansion.

Thanks for proving my point
Sarcasm man. I was a Canes STM till last year.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I vote yes, too. A Win-Win. If all those U.S. teams can't survive without our CDN $, let them fail.
Do you realise theres 3 canadian markets in the bottom 15 in terms of league revenue :laugh::laugh::laugh:

one of them is neck and neck with what used to be Arizona lmao.

But yeah let's put a team in a village like Quebec because they like hockey even if it makes the league bleed money.

Kids barely even play the sport in our country its time to get off the Canadian high horse my friend

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Were you not alive for the "make it 7" period? The Winnipeg and Quebec fans were actively cheering the failure of Atlanta. And the entire Canadian hockey media was on board. The volume of fans and Canadian media actively rooting for fans to lose their team was massive.

After Atlanta moved, it became just the Quebec fans, but they have over the course of years been actively and vocally cheering for Carolina to fail, for Florida to fail, for Arizona to fail.

Canadian fans have absolutely, 100% been demanding fewer teams in the US. Incessantly. Those of us who have been on the receiving end have noticed.
Yes I was. I was also old enough to remember the US fans who were cheering for Canadian team failures during the early 2000's (Edmonton and Calgary).

Again, not saying we're better. I'm saying fans from both sides of the border are flawed.

And honestly, the xenophobic way Panthers fans were acting after last years SCF, even trolling these boards with random anti-Canada drivel that had nothing to do with hockey. Can't blame the Quebec fans for that....

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Sarcasm man. I was a Canes STM till last year.

Did not know that, never seen you on F26. Same boat here, they priced me out this summer.

And to be clear, hard to detect sarcasm when its word for word what you've been told on HFB in the past.

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
Quebec politics have even managed to make Montreal, a city with a metro population of over 4.3 million, a backwater. Quebec City wouldn't stand a chance.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Dude if the Canes moved to QC they could go 0-82 till the end of time and they'd still sell out forever. Because hockey is in their veins. Not like us.

That's what they said about Winnipeg. And no, I'm not picking on Winnipeg, but we were told that they would sell out EVERY game that's every played there. And that is not true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad