Why did Quebec not get a team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Quebec is simply too small of a hockey market in today's NHL, with today's franchise money. I don't see them ever getting another franchise as the NHL has outgrown their budget. The Canadian dollar will never allow them to, the tax situation in Canada, nor will there be a dramatic population increase to help make it a "large hockey center."

Canada and its weak dollar will not even be able to handle a relocation.
Depends on the owner. The extra 2-300 million is a lot for some but not so much for others. If they have a strong ownership group they could easily support a team.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
As I have said many times, just keep the Canadian TV money in Canada - and use that to support the Canadians teams. The U.S. teams can split the American TV money. In fact, keep ALL Canadian revenue North of the border.

Then you never have to worry about Canadian teams being profitable, again. A Win-Win.
So, Canadian teams should get $50M a year in national TV money and the US teams should get $26M. How many U.S. owners are going to vote to support that change?

Reactions: cowboy82nd

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

So, Canadian teams should get $50M a year in national TV money and the US teams should get $26M. How many U.S. owners are going to vote to support that change,
Pffft. It's not their money.

Plus, you're missing the point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
So, Canadian teams should get $50M a year in national TV money and the US teams should get $26M. How many U.S. owners are going to vote to support that change?
Canadian owners sent 75% of their TV money south, US owners had no issues taking that money. Not shocking since they didn’t have a TV deal that paid any money.
Both countries divide their TV money among their teams, seems good, especially with the dollar differential.

Reactions: Essenege

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Dear Gary :

Please give Canada another team. I'd prefer QC but, TBH, I don't care - southern Ontario will work just fine.

What's in it for you?

Well... It will shut us up about Canadian expansion...
at least for a little while.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bixby Snyder

Spargon

May 31, 2019
or put one in Hamilton and tell Buffalo and Toronto to piss off.
As someone who lives within 45 mins of Hamilton that would be fantastic. But I would never become a fan of the team, I will still be a Leafs fan. The Sens, Buffalo hell even Montreal whine Leaf fans overtake their arena. Any team in Hamilton will be way way worse. They will struggle to have a legit fanbase for just them without being the second team because southern Ontario. But if the logistics work bring it on. There are thousands of Leafs fans dying for affordable NHL hockey.

Find a source for you guys 'cause i was bored ->

59 quebec born players played at least a game last year in the nhl, 42 of them played at least 20 games.
In the early 2000s, we used to have 100+ quebec born players active in the nhl, it's impressive how it's slowly dropping since then...
Some respectable names with decent careers but no superstars either. The times they are a changin

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Sure you did, when you said, "and don't forget their deposit".

Because of the amount of NHL revenue that comes from Canada. Plus, fixing Q.C. would be the right thing to do.

If I remember correctly, the last time the NHL had expansion, Quebec City did not put up the non refundable deposit, therefore they didn’t have a chance. Never said anything about BCE not being able to afford it. You are just seeing what you want.

Reactions: joestevens29

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If I remember correctly, the last time the NHL had expansion, Quebec City did not put up the non refundable deposit, therefore they didn’t have a chance. Never said anything about BCE not being able to afford it. You are just seeing what you want.
Fair enough. I misunderstood. My bad.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If the NHL did what they did for the Oilers, Coyotes etc for years, made a new owner keep the team in Atlanta vs allowing them to move asap, we'd see a different story.
They probably would have liked to, but ASG also owned the arena and were quoting deliberately predatory and ruinous rates for its use by any local ownership.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
As I said, GJ, Canadians have no one to blame but ourselves. As Bruce Arthur once wrote (paraphrasing), "Canada is like the plain girl at the prom, forever trying to get the attention of the handsome valedictorian (the NHL) who ignores her".

Canadians pay obscene prices for NHL tickets, we watch on TV by the millions, we buy their crappy merchandise and we do everything we can to help the league but, when we ask for another team, we're told, "Sorry, the brothel's full".

I'll never spend another dollar on the NHL. Every Canadian should join me.

So, you'll never watch another NHL game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: joestevens29

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Your post makes NO sense. What does keeping Canadian revenue in Canada to support Canadian teams have to do with the Canadian dollar or the P.M.?

The $350M Rogers pays to the NHL annually is in US$. Just split that among the CDN teams. The U.S. teams can keep their TV revenue and split it among their teams. Do that and we'll be just fine.

Why would the NHL do that? It makes no sense. So U.S. jersey sales only go to the U.S teams (and since they're more U.S. teams meaning more jerseys to sell) Canada teams only split jersey sales from Canadian teams. And if a Canadian team needs help, it only comes from Canadian teams? Why would the NHL limit themselves like this? It just doesn't make sense to me, sorry.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
Why would the NHL do that? It makes no sense. So U.S. jersey sales only go to the U.S teams (and since they're more U.S. teams meaning more jerseys to sell) Canada teams only split jersey sales from Canadian teams. And if a Canadian team needs help, it only comes from Canadian teams? Why would the NHL limit themselves like this? It just doesn't make sense to me, sorry.
Because the Canadian and American owners must see each other adversarialy and want to undermine each other. Despite some Canadian guys owning teams in the US. That's how a 6 billion dollar enterprise succeeds.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
The league's philosophy is to monetize every single thing to it's maximum potential. Every. Single. Time. Asking ourselves, "Why did they do that?" is a rhetorical question.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If the NHL did what they did for the Oilers, Coyotes etc for years, made a new owner keep the team in Atlanta vs allowing them to move asap, we'd see a different story.

Jets have shit attendance and aren't a bottom team. Atlanta had attendance, just awful owners. Huge difference in that situation. Bettman screwed Atlanta to bring the Jets back and the Jets barely have the attendance the Thrashers had their last few years whole being a better team in Canada because of hands off owners that weren't sabotaging the team.

I'd rather see Atlanta get a team than another Canadian one. For that bullshit they pulled on Atlanta, it's owed.
I really don't know what the NHL did for the Oilers. We were pretty much gone until local investors stepped up to the plate at the last minute

I mean if it was ever getting to that why would top Canadian/American teams want to help poor Canadian/American teams. Why not just keep all the money your team earns and who cares about the rest

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The league's philosophy is to monetize every single thing to it's maximum potential. Every. Single. Time. Asking ourselves, "Why did they do that?" is a rhetorical question.
End of the day it's a business so it's really easy to see why they do this.

If Grocery stores aren't slashing their prices to help people out even though they are making piles of money, why would we expect an entertainment business to be any different?

Reactions: Stony Curtis

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
1000009925.jpg

That's probably why.

"15% of tickets against the Bruins and 30% against the Panthers are still available"

Edit: I cut it out when I cropped it, but it's from RDS

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The expansion to south Florida was approved the same day that Bettman was confirmed as commissioner (a job he wouldn't start for a few months), so I'm not sure how much, if anything, Gary had to cDo with it. That expansion also had more to do with getting Huzienga as an owner. If Huzienga had wanted a team in Ohio, I suspect they would have added a team in Ohio.
My understanding was that Gary was the key to that deal due to his connections with with him and Eisner. You think that was a coincidence that happened the same day?
The NHL was a bush league run by corrupt owners who had the presidents in their pocket.
Also, is Ohio the same size market as Florida?

That said, you are probably right if he was in Ohio or Indiana or Wisconsin it's likely he would have got a team there. But keep in mind the other controversy about the decision is Florida already a team and quite a recent one. In today's parlance, it made the team in TB look "sus".

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad