Why did Quebec not get a team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I feel like Rogers takeover of Maple Leafs will leave Bell looking for a team now, and that's about as amicable as the two cable giants will split here in Canada. Bell could take a bigger share in Montreal, conceivably, but Southern Ontario without a doubt has the potential to support 2 NHL franchises, and give a little bit extra to Buffalo for being in their region, so to speak.
And Leafs and Sabres would never allow it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Because Bettman is a f***ing asshole

I heard he's the one personally forcing Quebec City to have a smaller metro population than Worcester, El Paso, Allentown, Baton Rouge, and Bakersfield

he's also personally keeping the value of the Canadian Dollar down, I heard my sister's friend's acquaintance's wife's boyfriend took his kids to go see Bettman once and when his 5 year old daughter asked for the Canadian Dollar to go up so she could afford ice cream when she visits the US he spit in her face and told her to f*** off then proceeded to ask if she was from Quebec City and launch into an angry 30 minute rant about a parking ticket he got there once even after she said no

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I heard he's the one personally forcing Quebec City to have a smaller metro population than Worcester, El Paso, Allentown, Baton Rouge, and Bakersfield

he's also personally keeping the value of the Canadian Dollar down, I heard my sister's friend's acquaintance's wife's boyfriend took his kids to go see Bettman once and when his 5 year old daughter asked for the Canadian Dollar to go up so she could afford ice cream when she visits the US he spit in her face and told her to f*** off then proceeded to ask if she was from Quebec City and launch into an angry 30 minute rant about a parking ticket he got there once even after she said no
That low Canadian dollar must be why 2 of the top 3 teams in franchise values are in Canada, and 4 in the top 12, probably closer to top 10, are also in Canada.

Quebec could support an NHL team, it's just politics. Don't get it twisted.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
That low Canadian dollar must be why 2 of the top 3 teams in franchise values are in Canada, and 4 in the top 12, probably closer to top 10, are also in Canada.

7 of the top 10 franchise values are in the US

Iowa City could support an NHL team, it's just politics. Don't get it twisted.

• Haha
Reactions: voyageur

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The ONLY way Quebec City / Canada gets another team is if TSN / Rogers demands it. If the network who wins the bid for the Canadian National TV package demands another team for Canada, we'll get one - but not until then.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Oh golly, here we go again!

-------------

Q: Why can't QC have an NHL franchise?

A: Because nobody in QC is offering the NHL a check for $1 billion that will clear.
That and those with deep pocket$ apparently have had ties with political groups associated with the separatist movement and old school owners like Jeremy Jacobs want nothing to do with them.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If not QC, what Eastern team is gonna make team #36 should we get that far? It doesn't sound like there's any other options left
Why 36? Doesn't have to be 36. Honestly in the time frame it will take to get expansion, I see Arizona and Atlanta getting expansion teams within 3 years, and the Jets moving to Houston in 3.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
10 000 empty seats so far for the Kings vs Bruins/Panthers games in Quebec lol.
The NHL ignores Quebec on damn near a disrespectful level and you expect folks there to attend? Sounds abit dumb, but they are showing integrity by not going. They should outright protest the game since a protest would get them on page one on all the social media sites.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Why 36? Doesn't have to be 36. Honestly in the time frame it will take to get expansion, I see Arizona and Atlanta getting expansion teams within 3 years, and the Jets moving to Houston in 3.
The Jets won't move.

The NHL ignores Quebec and you expect folks to attend? Sounds abit dumb, but they are showing integrity by not going lol.
Agree. No different than when the Bills came to Toronto. No one went. Why would they?

Reactions: BlueSeal

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Quebec City would be the smallest market in any of the Big 4 leagues outside of Green Bay (and the NFL can draw state-wide and it needs a commitment of 8 games a year plus playoffs for season ticket holders). When you look at cities in the other 3 leagues, they are much larger.

When you look at a growth perspective, the fact Seattle doesn't have an NBA team (to compete against for season ticket sales), the amount of fortune 500 companies headquartered there (Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, Costco, etc.), it's a no brainer.

As for who is the next teams out east if they do Atlanta? Well, there are multiple options. Multiple central teams would love to go out east like Detroit and Columbus did, with Nashville, and Chicago being the obvious options. As for a new team that would fit the east without re-alignment there aren't many very obvious ones. The major growth regions in the United States are in the West and the South.

thebestnic

Jun 29, 2022
The ONLY way Quebec City / Canada gets another team is if TSN / Rogers demands it. If the network who wins the bid for the Canadian National TV package demands another team for Canada, we'll get one - but not until then.
Even then, it would make more sense to add another team in southern Ontario

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
So 43% of the Canadian teams are in the top 10 franchise values versus 28% of the American team?

That explains it...

and 50% of the Canadian population is in Metro areas that already have a team versus 32% of the American population being in Metro areas that already have a team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad