Why did nobody respond to the hit by Adam Mair ---I mean, Radko Gudas?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
The problem with this is you have morons (Cookes, Gudaseses, Rinaldos, et..) playing the game...Can't teach morons.

Gets real tiring taking ass beatings, trust me. And again, you'll always have these guys in the NHL and always will, but it's a ****ing preseason game. Not one excuse in the world to not do something.

Same game Couturier does the right thing after a CLEAN HIT and our guys can't be bothered.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Someone should of responded to that dirty hit. I mean do something, anything! A good team outta never let stuff like that get away. As we saw Sean Couturier quickly jumped Backes for a check he delivered that was CLEAN. And good for him and the Flyers team.

This has nothing to do with having a fighter on the roster. I don't think we need a designated fighter on the roster, this has to do with RESPECT! Now we have a young rookie with a concussion, already!! That's straight BS...

I totally agree with Colt.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
So the response from the Bruins according to some here is to let the NHL and their “player safety” division respond? A group that so far has had no effect on the number of players that are injured during the season by cheap hits, not fighting. Players that can’t fight typically don’t. The problem has become rats running around throwing shots that eliminate high skill smallish players.

There was a time when the opposing team payed the price for the predatory nature of individuals on opposing teams. The Bruins of 2011 would have generated a 5v5 melee where Jacob Voracek would have to deal the consequences of Goudas’ hit. Now that’s total frontier justice and only works when you have a nice diffusion of toughness throughout your roster.

Edit: I didn't look to see if KMiller was on the ice when this happened, if he was and he didn't respond the Bruins should waive his useless ass immediately.

I know tons of people will disagree but if Sydney Crosby, the captain of his team, had to physically deal with Chara after his cheap shot on Savard I doubt it ever would have happened. We will never know.

At the end of the day, how many of you in the “no response, it doesn't help crowd” are going to be happy when the NHL doesn’t even fine Goudas for his hit on a 5-9 forward? They will look at the tape, say the difference was height, Goudas angle was good, there was no elbow, there was no boarding, the NHL has spoken.

Bottom line, the Bruins should have responded, this will not be the last young small Bruin to have this happen to them.

Spooner will be next. And why not, you will get a fair hearing from the NHL, you will get argue your side. The Bruins would/should not be so understanding...

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I agree with the 10 game suspension DKH. No place in the game for hits like that. He headhunted and should end up losing pay as a result. I like fighting in the game, but with all of the concussion stuff and the enforcers that have severe ptsd after the game finishes, its time to move past it. The bigger concern should be goons headhunting promising young players who may never fully recover from concussion syndrome as a result.

The league has to hold teams and coaches accountable. When The pa player is suspended for a dirty hit, the team should be forced to only dress 19. If a player is suspended twice in the same season for a dirty hit the coach should be fined and suspended 3 games.

Slaps on the wrist aren't getting the message across.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Hayes for as much **** as he gets, is still a significantly better hockey player than Randell. Randell should be the 13th Forward and dress for heavier teams where punch might actually be needed. That said, he'd be on the ice with other 4th liners, so he most likely wouldn't be on the ice anyways when a skilled forward got hit. What if he gets turned down later, should he Thornton the guy? I think the protector is an overrated position. Randell dressing or not wouldn't stop Gudas from being a **** head.

i don't agree.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Agreed. You can't prevent this stuff but younsure as hell should react to it. You would think one out of seventeen skaters would have felt the need/want/responsibility to at least appear to be a good teammate.

Like I said, it may make you or the team feel better about it, but it's not going to prevent it or change the fact that Czarnik hurts. As long as coaches continue to play POS in their lineup, POS will hurt player other players.

I'll add to my last post: Punish GMs by loss of draft picks if 2 players are suspended for dirty hits in the same year.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
That's what I'm talking about! That's what should of happened last night. Anyone could of stood up for our kid..

Some of you here are getting soft... I'm a Boston Bruins fan OLD SCHOOL. Its in my DNA.

So then after that GudASS changed his ways and never did it again, it does not work that way. Czarnik is on the ice no mater what happens after it and Miller was on the ice, GudASS did not care at all.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
How would Kevin Miller get a suspension for challenging Gudas to a fight in the same manner that Backes was challenged?

Totally agree with you. IF Czarnik is concussed and out for some games it'll be a disgrace. Even if Gudas is suspended it won't send a strong enough message.
Someone (Miller) needed to send a message but didn't. He turned the other cheek and it was disappointing and very telling that he can not fill McQuaid's skates. McQ would have been there in a flash and would've sent a message.
Hayes, for all of those apologists is a waste of time and $pace on the roster. A mistake that will always be on Donny's resume.

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
So then after that GudASS changed his ways and never did it again, it does not work that way. Czarnik is on the ice no mater what happens after it and Miller was on the ice, GudASS did not care at all.

That's not the point, it's about the Bruins having each others back - who cares if Gudas does it again? Someone can beat his ass again.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

It's not about Gudas its about the current make up of the Boston Bruins. You either want a team that will stand up for each other or you don't.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I'm going to play pretty fast and loose with names and dates here, but I remember back when the Bruins were a heartless deadbeat team in 2008? and they called up a young, skinny rookie who took a late, targeted headshot from a dirty-rep vet and the young rookie (Krejci) was concussed and out. Nobody did anything about it because nobody wanted to step up to Mair. It was part of the crisis of identity that the team was facing at that point.

Tonight, Cazarnik, a little rookie, takes a targeted headshot from a dirty-rep vet, got concussed and taken out of the game and nobody did anything about it. What the blue hell?

If anybody says anything about the "2pts being important" that that would officially make you the dumbest poster on HFboards. Sure, the guys on the ice missed the hit but the replays were on the screen and they watch that like a hawk. As soon as Gudas' penalty was up, Kevin Miller was next to him on the boards and couldn't even have been bothered to give him a love-tap. I know the last year+ that Miller doesn't seem to want to fight guys that he isn't bigger than, but this challenge was a must for him. Miller/Gudas is a good trade-off for the Bruins on any night.

Backes threw a questionable hit tonight and was challenged immediately for it by a smaller Flyer. Gudas threw a dirty hit and the Bruins had a whole period to challenge him for it but we don't have the personal for it with this line-up.

I know there are posters who will respond by rationalizing away our lack of response (ignoring even that it was preseason) but the thing is that it will get worse. Chara has almost no interest or ability in fighting these days, same goes for the next biggest guy in Hayes. Many posters somehow want run Cup winner McQuaid out of town and this may be what is happening, while keeping Kevin Miller (again, willing to fight if the offense is on him and the player isn't too big).

It seems like Randell continues to be outside Julien's doghouse for no reason whatsoever so can we expect to see more instances of Krug fighting 230pd Stewart? The Habs brought in ******-bags like Andrew Shaw and the Leafs signed Matt Martin (and others) yet we looking to mimic the Penguins, or something.

To me, the answer is to move Hayes out of town. Backes' big frame take his place on the PP and we don't waste lots of $ using Hayes as a 4th line winger, where he will end up after a half dozen heartless efforts in a row and we can move Heinen into that grouping. Without PP time, we get Hayes for about 8mins of lumbering around. Randell could do that for a fraction of the price and bring an actual hitting/forechecking game while he's at it.

I'm kind of rambling here, but the tea-leafs seem to indicate that the Bruins may be moving McQuaid out with Carlo coming in and K. Miller having the new (terrible) contract is immune to being moved so Randell looks to be going on the waiver-wire with all the bodies still here. I hope I'm wrong.

Thoughts? Is this 2016/17 Bruins team tough enough? Could Randell play in about 50 games a year, while replace what Hayes brings to the table?

See my post in the game thread... I won't bother repeating it here.

Cerebral.

Thats the one word that comes to mind last year with this team.

With all the talk about giving younger guys some ice time....

Fourth line of d. Moore and Riley nash...

Or Noel Accari and Randell?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

I don't think anyone here is advocating the position that 'beating up' Gudas would change his style of play or prevent anything.

It's all about team, team identity, sticking up for your team mates, bonding comradery etc etc etc.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
It's not about Gudas its about the current make up of the Boston Bruins. You either want a team that will stand up for each other or you don't.

Like I said Miller was on the ice, is he now a skilled guy? Chara is the leader, he needs to lead not just jump on the ice whenever he wants. Backes could have really showed the fans something if he went after him. I do agree they need to have each others back. If they did not see it first hand there is replays on the jumbo tron they all look at. Just knowing it was Gudass should enough. we do not know the current make up of the team yet, so how can we say anything but this is league wide not just them.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Anyone that doesn't feel something should have been done in response to a headhunting hit on a rookie....I really question whether you've ever played hockey at a competitive level.

And as a fan, how you don't find that completely demoralizing is beyond me.

It's disgusting.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Like I said, it may make you or the team feel better about it, but it's not going to prevent it or change the fact that Czarnik hurts. As long as coaches continue to play POS in their lineup, POS will hurt player other players.

I'll add to my last post: Punish GMs by loss of draft picks if 2 players are suspended for dirty hits in the same year.

Totally agree with you on this Dave. I am as "old school" as they come, love physical hockey, but the game has changed. If the NHL wants thugs like Gudas out of the game, they have to tailor the punishments so that it hurts the team as a whole to have a player like Gudas in the lineup.

As far as the hit itself goes, we were having a Birthday party for my wife and this is the first time I have seen it. I actually expected it to be much worse. Gudas is a POS, and he caught Czarnik high, but it looked to me like that was mostly due to the height difference between the two players? It was completely unnecessary and a typical Gudas play.

Can't imagine it's good for the brand for Gudas to be continually taking shots at young exciting players like Vesey, Czarnik, etc. I wonder if the NHL looks at this hit for supplementary discipline?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Totally agree with you on this Dave. I am as "old school" as they come, love physical hockey, but the game has changed. If the NHL wants thugs like Gudas out of the game, they have to tailor the punishments so that it hurts the team as a whole to have a player like Gudas in the lineup.

As far as the hit itself goes, we were having a Birthday party for my wife and this is the first time I have seen it. I actually expected it to be much worse. Gudas is a POS, and he caught Czarnik high, but it looked to me like that was mostly due to the height difference between the two players? It was completely unnecessary and a typical Gudas play.

Can't imagine it's good for the brand for Gudas to be continually taking shots at young exciting players like Vesey, Czarnik, etc. I wonder if the NHL looks at this hit for supplementary discipline?

...and yet the beat goes on. Bums like Cooke continue on while the Savards etc get concussed and have their lives changed forever. Waiting for the Dept. of player safety to do anything constructive is unfortunately a waste of time. They've made fighting a semi-sin with filthy play at almost the same punishment level in regards to ass-hats careers being affected by their own actions. They hit with impunity knowing that in the long run they'll get away with it. The NHL knows how to stop it but they don't and that's more puzzling than anything else. If the NBA saw their young stars being taken out with headshots how long would that last?

BTW: I've seen the hit maybe a dozen times and IMHO it looks as though Gudas launches (ever so subtly) off of his feet just before contact.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Anyone that doesn't feel something should have been done in response to a headhunting hit on a rookie....I really question whether you've ever played hockey at a competitive level.

And as a fan, how you don't find that completely demoralizing is beyond me.

It's disgusting.

This is pretty funny in light of the absolute fact that 19 guys who have played hockey at a competitive level higher than you felt that something DIDN'T need to be done.

I get the emotional response of wanting revenge. And I can buy that it might "feel good" to see teammates "stick up for each other" but PLENTY of really really bad teams have players who stick up for each other and still lose, so in the end this "camaraderie" angle is only important if it has an effect on the ultimate goal.

There are good teams that would have responded, there are bad teams that would have responded. There are good teams that would have turned the other cheek and there are bad teams that would have turned the other cheek. The response has absolutely zero predictive value for determining how this team will do.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Definitely would have wanted to see a response. It's about a togetherness, having each others back that has a galvonizing effect that creates energy and benefits the team. The Adam Mair reference in the OP was 2006-07, incidentally one of the softest most pathetic Bruins teams I have ever seen.

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
Like I said Miller was on the ice, is he now a skilled guy? Chara is the leader, he needs to lead not just jump on the ice whenever he wants. Backes could have really showed the fans something if he went after him. I do agree they need to have each others back. If they did not see it first hand there is replays on the jumbo tron they all look at. Just knowing it was Gudass should enough. we do not know the current make up of the team yet, so how can we say anything but this is league wide not just them.

Because it's not to much different than last year.

Miller Chara and Backes have nothing to do with the conversation. (Although Backes could have done himself well for being the guy).

This goes back to the lack of on ice leadership that many have been lamenting this team lacks for more than a few seasons.

Millers never been a skill guy, or 'that' guy. And very rarely has Chara.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Definitely would have wanted to see a response. It's about a togetherness, having each others back that has a galvonizing effect that creates energy and benefits the team. The Adam Mair reference in the OP was 2006-07, incidentally one of the softest most pathetic Bruins teams I have ever seen.

Which wasn't surprising that you had a coach (Lewis) who ordered his 6'9 260 lbs D-man not to fight, period.

I agree with what Colt is saying here.

The problem is systematic. We've gone from "taking numbers" to "let the league handle it". The decline or extinction of the enforcer isn't a by-product of this as much as it's added to the problem. (Enforcers are gone because they can't keep up skating wise, period).

It's what a vast majority of players want (takes the onus off of them to handle the issue themselves). Fact is there are very, very few guys who look forward to or take any enjoyment out of fighting.

It's what hockey coaches and management execs want, if for no other reason than the liability issue (see Bertuzzi/Moore).

Problem is it isn't what fans want. Your sitting on your couch at home and you see the Gudas hit on Czarnik. Chances are you scream at your TV "WTF, do something", not look at your buddy and say "don't worry, the league will take care of Gudas".

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
This is pretty funny in light of the absolute fact that 19 guys who have played hockey at a competitive level higher than you felt that something DIDN'T need to be done.

I get the emotional response of wanting revenge. And I can buy that it might "feel good" to see teammates "stick up for each other" but PLENTY of really really bad teams have players who stick up for each other and still lose, so in the end this "camaraderie" angle is only important if it has an effect on the ultimate goal.

There are good teams that would have responded, there are bad teams that would have responded. There are good teams that would have turned the other cheek and there are bad teams that would have turned the other cheek. The response has absolutely zero predictive value for determining how this team will do.

Such a false argument.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Put a stiff like Hayes in the lineup over a guy who sticks up for teammates and something like this will happen.

Philly has always had creeps like this. And after the Backes hit it looks like they will fight after every big hit no matter how clean.

We have the perfect 2016 response to thse players in the mandatory shield era. But he can't really be himself anymore. Rinaldo gets suspended for breathing on guys and can't fill the rile. You keep him in the lineup and tell him to goon one of their players after. But if he responded he'd miss 20-40 games. If Rinaldo goes to Montreal he'll be an effective NHLer again.

Im not sure McQuaid is the guy to fill this role. Not the same since the concussion and while being tough he's not that big probably only 200-210 pounds.

I think the little guys should be able to stick goons like this in retaliation and not get huge suspensions. McSorely made it a no-no but I think with where the game is headed with mandatory shields and with how 'easy' it is to deliver a dirty hit that can derail a career guys like Gudas should be skating around knowing that if he pulls **** an opponent can give him a 2 hander and only sit a couple games.

Philadelphia also clearly decided that they will be fighting after every big hit no matter how 'clean' it is. I really think they need to focus on giving 2 minute penalties to 'response' fights to clean hits. Why the F didn't Couturier get an extra 2?

We are in a bad spot with the league that 4-5 respite with Campbell on the roster is over. Quintal rewarded Shaw for yelling hate speech on National TV by letting him off his next suspension. We'll probably get pushed around and still someone have a b/s suspension when one of our guys hits someone bad near the boards or something.

Hopefully Claude says something to the Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad