Why did Luc Robitaille spend two years in juniors after his draft year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
In yet another edition of "wtf was going on in juniors in the 80s", Luc Robitaille scored 80 in 75 in his draft year, which in 80s major juniors was good enough to land him 171st overall. Okay, fair enough.

He proceeds to score 148 points in 64 games the next year... ... ...and they keep him in juniors, where he proceeds to score 191 points in 63 games, including 44 points in 15 playoff games (!!!!)

tHeRe wErE cOnCeRnS aBoUt hIs sKaTiNg aBiLiTy, you know I'm starting to develop an opinion of asset management in the 80s

1726633019976.png

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
One makes some sense. He was still considered a "plumber" at that point. No '66 born QMJHL forwards played in the league in 1985. Stephane Richer was the only '66 born to even play in 1986. It wasn't a very good league (like today, I suppose) so the quality was questionable. It's not entirely obvious, at a glance, how long of a look he even got in training camp in '86 (fall of '85) to your point.

Articles from around that time all seemed to make it pretty clear that Robitaille was gonna be back and the focal point on the Gretzky-owned Olympiques...

Him and Jimmy Carson made a wonderful impression the next training camp. Naturally, his skating was brought up as having been improved.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
In Hull he had a good coach in Pat Burns and got to play in an environment where he thrived, pretty good management I'd say. Can you play him with Marcel Dionne if he arrives a year earlier? Or does he get buried and struggles to make an impact in the big league?

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
For his 18-year-old season, it's basically the same question as: "why was he drafted in the 9th round?"

For his 19-year-old season, I think he really could've been playing in LA....he was very good at the WJC. But his scoring improved a lot in each season in the Q, so it was probably for the best for his career that he remained in junior. Afterall, it worked out well for him.

Reactions: MadLuke and barbu

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It worked out best for him, but yeah, it is kind of odd.

I can see why he didn't make the Kings' camp in 1984. He was young, one of their last draft-picks (they didn't even know who he was or have team jerseys left when he walked to the Kings' draft table!), his skating was relatively poor, and he'd just been outscored on his team by Dave Purcell (undrafted university player) while playing for the 2nd worst team in the Q.

1985 is a little harder to understand. On the 1984-85 Olympiques, Robitaille's 148 points (in 64 games) placed him 3rd in the Q in scoring. But, for context, the L.A. Kings in 1984-85 had a pretty successful season (relatively speaking) under new coach Pat Quinn -- they'd had a winning record and made the playoffs, even giving Edmonton a good challenge in the first playoff round. They were already a pretty high-scoring team, and you know Pat Quinn liked his two-way, tough guys. Maybe Robitaille's skill-set was seen as unnecessary, so, if he had just a so-so training camp in September 1985, he failed to make the club again.

Anyway, it worked out well in the end!

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I could be influenced by Mtl development pipeline, but was it at the time was it just still more normal for under 20 to not go up in the big leagues back in those days ?

People in charge in the early 80s would have played hockey in a era that Dionner/Guy Lafleur themselve turned 20 before their first nhl game.

It was as just a couple of year earlier (1980) that the draft age was dropper to 18, the pipeline and habit was probably geared into letting prospect play their full junior.

with Montreal (even a little trip in the AHL after that) it was common in the 80s at least, Carbo scored almost 100 pts in the AHL before making his final jump, after having a 182 pts 4th season in the junior.

Last edited:

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Let me temper my OP by saying that I suppose in one way I understand, in that I'm sure these managers were having hangovers from so many high-scoring junior players in the 70s that absolutely flamed out at the pro level. Specifically, for some reason, the 1974 QMJHL season.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I think none of those jumped in the nhl before a full 4 years in junior or wha road too (explaining in part their giant numbers), so I am not sure they would link it to a jumped too soon vs our longer plan with Robitaiile.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
There are plenty of players who put up big numbers in the QMJHL in the 1980s especially but there are also some players who put up big numbers in junior who were expected to make the NHL but who didn't do it right away. Robitaille is one of them, Brad Richards comes to mind too as a guy who played out his junior career and had an 186 point season in his last year in the Q and also won the Memorial Cup. He was ordinary in the WJC, but he was a guy who stepped in and contributed in the NHL right away who you thought maybe could have done it earlier. But what a difference a year makes though. I have seen plenty of busts, but I have never seen someone who became a bust because a team was patient with him.

And as it was already mentioned, Robitaille's skating was subpar. In fact, he never became a good skater. So that could have gone against him.

Lastly, Pat Quinn was the coach. He is traditionally not the type to give youngsters a chance early on.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
I have seen plenty of busts, but I have never seen someone who became a bust because a team was patient with him.
That one would be so much harder to code it that way, every year in most club I imagine there talk of X getting destroyed because teams do not make room for them with veteran on bad contract needing to be played or what not. The other way around would always be easier too critic.

Did Tavares played too long in the OHL (here it is not like a team had a choice), did Lindros could have benefited to jump in the nhl younger, etc... Those are obviously very far from bust and it would just be minor adjustment.

It is easier to point to player getting "too fast" in the league than those that would have lost motivation by having to wait for too long and it could be quite era to era dependant.

Carey Price for example did say how much of a shock professional level hockey was and a big wake up call for him, where he completly upgraded his training and dedication vs pre-nhl days, is there a world that a more patient club does not create in him that wake up call and he never become what he did ?

And in those club too patient, we would mentally blame the player over the club versus the other way around.

I think the 2005 season could show how much benefit an ahl season can have on star prospect, specially when it is not coded in any way as a demerit-blame on them.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Lastly, Pat Quinn was the coach. He is traditionally not the type to give youngsters a chance early on.
Speaking of Pat Quinn, does anyone know why he was fired midway through 1986-87?

The Kings had a good-ish season in 1984-85, and then a terrible season in 1985-86. But early in 1986-87 they were off to a reasonable 18-20-4 record in the first half or so of the season when they fired Quinn, in January 1987. (They'd been 13-24-5 in the first 42 games a year earlier, so obviously the club was performing better.)

They used Mike Murphy as coach for the final 38 games and playoffs, and then in the summer hired Robbie Ftorek. Maybe they wanted a young guy for the benefit of Robitaille, Carson, Dushesne...?

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Speaking of Pat Quinn, does anyone know why he was fired early in 1986-87?
He signed with Vancouver in the middle of the season, during the holiday break...

It's a wonder he wasn't banned from all NHL positions for longer...he was really just not allowed to be coach for a while, but still got to work for Vancouver like six months later as GM...

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Guy Rouleau scoring 91 goals-191 points on the same team (60-133, 76-163 the 2 years before), 43 in 15 playoffs games while never getting drafted, do show how not that impressive or out of place Robitaille's where for the scouts of the time I can imagine, specially if you are 5 foot 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad