Who's Better New Jersey Or Buffalo ?

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Why are people saying the Sabres D as a weakness? They were very good in GA last year and it wasn't just because UPL had a pretty good season and we will have Byram for a whole season now on top of that. The forwards need to show up like they did 2 years ago the Sabres are pretty set on D.

Reactions: BHD

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
I think both teams at their best make the playoffs this year. Just need to actual play the games and get luck with injuries to actually be their best. I’m optimistic about the devils this year though, as long as their top guys can play 70+ games I think they can be a playoff team in a divisional spot. Buffalo will have a much more difficult time just making space in their harder division.

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Devils goaltending was bad but in order for us to have gotten statistically average goaltending it would’ve taken above average actual goaltending. The defense was atrocious (in sizable part due to the coach they just hired lol)
Almost as if the Devils were missing their top defenseman for the entire season or something.

It amuses me when the obvious case for the Devils being better was that last season went pear shaped entirely to all the key players being hurt for lengthy stretches but some people insist on using "Lindy Bad" as the argument.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Almost as if the Devils were missing their top defenseman for the entire season or something.

It amuses me when the obvious case for the Devils being better was that last season went pear shaped entirely to all the key players being hurt for lengthy stretches but some people insist on using "Lindy Bad" as the argument.
They played worse under Green while getting better goaltending from Allen & Kahkonnen somehow. I still think their are better coaches out there than Lindy but it pretty much showed that he wasn't really the big issue. I want to see how he works out in his return to Buffalo because he will have plenty of talent to work with up there. They need to snap this playoff drought about now.

The injuries played a big part of the season not going well but the lack of good gritty depth players with size and bite to their game was also a big factor as well. Pesce , Dillon & Cotter were much needed additions to help round the lineup out. Markstrom in goal was a big potential add as well.

Reactions: sabremike

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Lindy's faults were that he would never let go of his defensive system no matter how much it confused the team and the fact that Smith could do nothing wrong by him even if he took terrible penalties are led to multiple goals be scored in our net.

I hope the Sabres suckiest 3rd pairing defenseman is better then Smith.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'll go with NJD, but I think Lindy gets too much flack for an injury riddled season with terribad goaltending. His successor that season was even worse than him. I'm not really sold on Keefe either; his home playoff record is terrible, and that says a lot about his ability to match lines.

But, as I said, NJ seems to be more likely to make noise. They've done it before albeit with a good coach, but who's to say a healthy Devils team won't come out on fire again? I worry about their defense, but everything else looks solid. Buffalo hasn't proven anything, so NJ pretty easily for me.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
I'll go with NJD, but I think Lindy gets too much flack for an injury riddled season with terribad goaltending. His successor that season was even worse than him. I'm not really sold on Keefe either; his home playoff record is terrible, and that says a lot about his ability to match lines.

But, as I said, NJ seems to be more likely to make noise. They've done it before albeit with a good coach, but who's to say a healthy Devils team won't come out on fire again? I worry about their defense, but everything else looks solid. Buffalo hasn't proven anything, so NJ pretty easily for me.
His failure went beyond a single season, his record with the Devils was 128-125-28, this includes a season where they won 52 games.

Granted 2 of his seasons were shortened, 1 by covid and 1 by getting fired, but for reference his other 3 seasons his record was 76-103-20.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
every year for the last decade i been saying this is finally the year Buffalo..... and every year they disappoint me that being said NJ look really good alot of good and young players on that team

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
every year for the last decade i been saying this is finally the year Buffalo..... and every year they disappoint me that being said NJ look really good alot of good and young players on that team
Devils should be a playoff team unless bad bad things happen. That being said, I feel like metro was extremely competitive last year and will be next season as well. West is probably done before TDL again and metro will be decided later in the spring.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
How is this a question? There is no area where Buffalo is better than NJ including coaching, and that's saying A LOT because Sheldon Keefe is an AWFUL coach, you Devils fans don't have a clue, and you won't until playoff time.

But come playoff time you will, that's when you are going to learn.

All that being said Buffalo is the worst run team in the NHL for sure, there is no argument that can be made against that, they are on a 13 year playoff drought, that's an NHL record they are 1000% the worst run team in the NHL.

They are a contender for the worst run team in all of sports.

There is no legitimate argument for Buffalo here, you can't make it.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Devils should be a playoff team unless bad bad things happen. That being said, I feel like metro was extremely competitive last year and will be next season as well. West is probably done before TDL again and metro will be decided later in the spring.
Buffalo has it worst the Atlantic is even stronger

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
Has to be the Devils. Buffalo hasn't done squat. Every year in recent years I've thought this is the year Buffalo breaks out. Not getting fooled any more until they prove something. FWIW, I like both teams and hope they both do well this coming season.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

Ford Prefect

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
1722627085937.gif

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think the Sabres went from overrated to underrated. I actually like the team more than at the same time last year, and they played a much more playoff-style game in the 2nd half.

That said, their off-season was a missed opportunity. How are they going to make the jump? Feels like they're stuck to the wrong side of the bubble and it's incredibly difficult to get out of that right now with the way the conference is.

They are lacking a high-end winger which is a big problem. They're relying too much on Thompson to move mountains, 19 year old Benson has to not only avoid a sophomore slump, but get better, and all of their guys in their mid 20's have to start playing the best hockey of their lives. Feels like a season where everything has to go right to have a legitimate chance, and not just be "right there".

NJ fixed most of their issues. I think their forward group could use an additional piece which will be a target at the TDL, but all of a sudden their back-end went from liability to a strength, and the offense is good enough to be dangerous and score the needed goals especially if Hughes/Meier have good years. Anger from last year, new coach to impress, I'm sure the commitment and compete will be at a good level. But as opposed to Buffalo, they were actually good 2 years ago. That should give the core guys the confidence that they will bounce back. - Personally, I love these situations and feel like 9 times out of 10 the team has a very spirited season and find a way.

The answer is New Jersey for sure.

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
Dahlin plays on the right side and is the best defenseman between the 2 teams
Dahlin is useless as a defender. I mean the clue is in the name. His job is to defend and he's not doing that effectively.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
IF UPL or Levi can take the #1 spot and run with it, this conversation would be much closer. That is a big if, when Jersey has either 1 or 2 starters (Markstrom is, Allen's good in a 1A/ 1B situation). Buffalo has 2 question marks and 1 adequate platoon guy in Reimer.

Skater-wise I think the cores are similar on paper, though the roles are more defined and filled properly in Jersey (Hughes-Hischier-Haula-Lazar is a strong C core with a #1, a Selke caliber C, a strong 3rd C who's played top-6 before and a serviceable 4th; at their best Bratt and Meier are top-line guys, while Palat is serviceable and Mercer if he hits can be another top-6 scorer; the depth wings can chip in [Cotter/ Tatar/ Noesen/ Bastian], and on D they look balanced [Siegenthaler-Dougie/ Hughes-Pesce/ Dillon-Nemec]).

Buffalo has good pieces on paper but they're somewhat redundant (Tage/ Cozens are both offense-first; Peterka/ Quinn/ Benson are all smallish skilled wings; it's a good start in filling the grit with Zucker/ Tuch/ Greenway/ Malenstyn/ Lafferty/ NAK but not sure if there's enough of that in key roles for them to not just be a skilled team that's not that hard to play against; at least the D-core looks solid on paper but again the goalies may make or break).

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
As a neutral observer I think Buffalo is getting pretty underrated in this thread. New Jersey is the choice but there's some pretty big question marks and there are certainly some aspects I prefer about Buffalo.

I wonder about Jack Hughes durability and the overall leadership core in New Jersey. Talent isn't an issue but when you have Hughes and Hamilton leading the charge I don't see leaders that alot of players will follow. Hischier is a great two way player and on ice role model but I do wonder about the room dynamic.

Reactions: Bone Density

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad