Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Nope. Categorically no.

We'll need to be able to shut down, that's what the Olympics are all about. Namely, we need to replace Toews basically. Danault is the best playoffs shutdown player in the NHL - against all the best players in the world, not sure why he's never considered here (Ask Crosby, ask Vegas, ask Matthews). Suzuki is rising in the same category. Point is already there. Score against these 3, good luck with that.

PLD - McDavid - Mackinnon
(Offensive starts, PP (with Crosby-Makar) - incredible speed, grit and power)
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
(2-way, we know, we know, I think they are getting old - but probably ok for 1 last round)
Huberdeau - Barzal - Marner
(Offensive starts - incredible speed, play-making creativity)
Danault - Point - Suzuki
(2-way, good f-ing luck scoring against them)

Cozens, Kyrou

Guys like Stamkos and Stone can no longer skate at this level, it's time for the "big Canadian team" meme to go, replaced by a high IQ, high-speed cerebral style.

What made Toews so effective at the Olympics is that he was an elite matchup/shutdown player, but also had the offensive capability to center a line that could heavily tilt the ice in favour of Canada, pin the opposition in deep, and score goals. He was, in effect, the top-line center for Canada in both 2010 and 2014. Toews scored the first goal against the U.S. in the 2010 gold medal game, and set up Carter's opening goal against Sweden in 2014 (the eventual game-winner). Toews was very good offensively at that time. Point is the heir apparent to Toews, but with Canada's depth at center (behind McDavid, MacKinnon and Crosby) I don't think he would get the same minutes as Toews did or be deployed similarly. In your proposed lineup, the Crosby line would be the Toews line from 2010 and 2014; personally, I'd be comfortable with that.

Danault is not the same player as Toews; he'd be a matchup/shutdown player only. I think he'd get lost in the shuffle and play very limited PK minutes.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
What made Toews so effective at the Olympics is that he was an elite matchup/shutdown player, but also had the offensive capability to center a line that could heavily tilt the ice in favour of Canada, pin the opposition in deep, and score goals. He was, in effect, the top-line center for Canada in both 2010 and 2014. Toews scored the first goal against the U.S. in the 2010 gold medal game, and set up Carter's opening goal against Sweden in 2014 (the eventual game-winner). Toews was very good offensively at that time. Point is the heir apparent to Toews, but with Canada's depth at center (behind McDavid, MacKinnon and Crosby) I don't think he would get the same minutes as Toews did or be deployed similarly. In your proposed lineup, the Crosby line would be the Toews line from 2010 and 2014; personally, I'd be comfortable with that.

Danault is not the same player as Toews; he'd be a matchup/shutdown player only. I think he'd get lost in the shuffle and play very limited PK minutes.
I think he would get pretty important minutes at that level - enough to give a good rest to the top 2 lines - while annoying/having them spend more energy to the top opposition.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
As of 2023 Canada still has the better forward crop than anyone else can put out there so it's really a moot point.

The US line of Tage Thompson and the Tkachuk brothers will eat your puny Canadian lines.

(Yes, I know the Tkachuk brothers are dual US/Canadian citizens.)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The US line of Tage Thompson and the Tkachuk brothers will eat your puny Canadian lines.

(Yes, I know the Tkachuk brothers are dual US/Canadian citizens.)

Yes, because the U.S has always had such great success in eating up our puny lines.

More then likely we will score a goal that wins the tournament that bounces in off one of our players asses with five seconds left on a p.p caused by a dumb Tkachuk penalty.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Might be missing someone obvious this is pretty much from memory, and some are reputation picks (especially D), not sure how good they are at this point

probably mix and match line combos for better chemistry too

I probably have some wingers on wrong sides
Hyman - McDavid - Stamkos
Kadri-Tavares -Marner
Konecny -Horvat - Seguin
Thomas-Kyrou-Scheifele

again might have people on wrong sides
Hamilton - Dunn
Ekblad-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Montour

Goaltending is tough, not much to choose from
Murray
Talbot
Blackwood

Just for clarification, was this list meant for the upcoming World Championship or for the topic at hand?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Topic at hand.

That team can win Gold.
I see, thank you for the clarification.

I think that team is not close to Canada's best.

Kadri and Seguin belong nowhere near a best on best team, especially Seguin who has completely fallen off and would be a non-factor at best. Others are highly questionable as well.

Crosby, Marchand and Bergeron are still top players who would be better selections than most on the list. Where is Nathan MacKinnon, one of the best forwards on the planet? Brayden Point?

The best Canadian defenseman and arguably the best defenseman on the planet (Cale Makar) is not there. Neither are stalwarts like Devon Toews or Adam Pelech. Those three should be locks for this squad.

The only thing I won't argue is goaltending, but that's because I have zero clue who to trust anyways.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I see, thank you for the clarification.

I think that team is not close to Canada's best.

Kadri and Seguin belong nowhere near a best on best team, especially Seguin who has completely fallen off.

The best Canadian defenseman is Makar, arguably the best defenseman on the planet, is not there. Neither are stalwarts like Devon Toews or Adam Pelech. Those three should be locks for this squad.

Makar, Toews, aren't from Canada ;)

I see you don't get the joke so..... All those guys are from Ontario. I tried a Team Toronto but there wasn't 3 goalies available. And I didn't want to spend a ton of time googling who was and wasn't from Toronto

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Ontario can win Gold by itself at a best on best.... forget everyone else... feel free to do a team Quebec see how it lines up

I think a Quebec team could medal.

Huberdeau - Dubois - Mantha
Marchessault - Bergeron - Perron
Lafreniere - Danault - Gourde
Beauvillier - Roy - Gaudreau
Veleno, Carrier

Chabot - Letang
Matheson - Girard
Vlasic - Savard
Joseph

Fleury
Monembeault
Fucale

Reactions: pi314 and Eye of Ra

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Definitely a homer here, but as far as I'm concerned, based on just this season Nuge and Hyman should both be joining McDavid as Oilers on this team.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I don’t think that Canada would be as amazing as what people think. And yes I am saying this as a Canadian.

Forwards would be amazing and there would be many who don’t make the team who deserve to be on there. But when it comes to defence and goalies their is no comparison to the 2010 Canada team;

Luongo
Brodeur
Fleury

Niedermayer
Prongers
Weber
Keith
Doughty
Boyle
Seabrook
Pronger - there was only one.

Reactions: Voight

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
MacKinnon - McDavid - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Tavares - Stamkos - Point
Dubois - Bedard - Kyrou
Horvat/Konecny

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Pietrangelo
Hamilton - Ekblad
Montour
Theodore
Chabot

Kuemper - (Gets start, given his international experience already with 2021 WC gold and also Cup winner)
Jarry
Murray/Hart
Bedard and Montour wouldn't be anywhere close.

The rest is more or less what I would have

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
To me Canada is always the favorite in most international competions at most levels but if we would a true best on best today I don't think they would be so far ahead of the pack. Here's who I would have:

Goaltenders (x3):

Cart Hart
Stuart Skinner
Logan Thompson

Defense (x8):

Josh Morrissey-Dougie Hamilton
Devon Towes-Cale Makar
Shea Theodore-Alex Pietrangelo
Darnell Nurse-Jakob Chychrun

Forwards: (x14):

Zach Hyman-Connor McDavid-Travis Konecny
PLD-Nathan MacKinnon-Mark Stone
Brad Marchand-Sidney Crosby-Patrice Bergeron
John Tavares-Steven Stamkos-Mitch Marner
Extras: Brayden Point and Mark Scheifele

Lines/pairings are imperfect but these are the names I would think would be in contention. A few notes:

* Canada, as always, has impressive center depth. On the actual team I might expect to see even more natural centers named that would play wing
* I don't find Canada's depth on wing (either side) all that impressive. It kind of trails off after a few big names
* I like the d from a skating/puck moving perspective. Could it be exploited? Possibly
* This might be the worst era for goaltending in Canadian history, They rarely need to rely on outstanding goaltending to win but having any of these guys as a starter would give me pause

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If the tournament were to start today Canada would at best go in as a mild favourite and IMO only because they have the name Canada attached to the team. It's a good team but the goaltending and defense being what it is they aren't the most well rounded team as usual this at present time. Of course you can't discount the positives they still possess over other teams such as having the brilliance of Mcdavid to go to that no other team has but you look at the possible lineups on paper for all teams and it's tough to put Canada as the clear cut fave right now.

They really aren't.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Likely forgetting some guys but this would be a fun lineup. We need to develop more goalies, hopefully Cossa and Hart improve.

Crosby - Bergeron - Stone
PLD - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marner - Point - Stamkos
Huberdeau - Barzal - Scheifele

O'Reilly
Bedard

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Ekblad
Theodore - Pietrangelo

Chabot

Jarry
Kuemper
Someone really hates Brad Marchand to put Huburdeau ahead of him...lol.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'd say that this is the weakest Canada has been in a very long time.

Ok as you know I'm a US fan. How weakest is it?

Lets use a US "B" Team as a gage against Canada's "A". First, lets use only 2 Goalies for any countries "A" team, 7 D men and 13 Forwards.

Best guess Consensus US "B" Team

G - Oettinger - Gibson

D - Miller - Trouba
McDonagh - Faulk
Skjei - Pesce
Hanifin

F - Lee - Nelson - Boldy
DeBrincat - Miller - Boeser
Guentzel - Zegras - Rust
Pavelski - Trocheck - Wheeler
Beniers

Other "B" possibilities

G Quick Swayman

D - E. Johnson - Petry

F Caufield - Keller - Hayes - Farabee - Coyle

Is that line up capable of winning 1\5 or 1\10 times
against a projected Canada "A" squad?

Would it be capable of beating 2010\2014 Team Canada 1\5
or 1\10?

I would say yes to this years and no to 2010\2014 due to the
goalie and d Corp drop off and Oettinger or Gibson walling
2023 Canada one time and Canada's goaltending being
terrible one time.

I'd say that this is the weakest Canada has been in a very long time.

Lets use a US "B" Team as a gage against Canada's "A". First, lets use only 2 Goalies for any countries "A" team, 7 D men and 13 Forwards.

G - Oettinger - Gibson

D - Miller - Trouba
McDonagh - Faulk
Skjei - Pesce
Hanifin

F - Lee - Nelson - Boldy
Guentzel - Zegras - Rust
Beniers

Other "B" possibilities

G Quick Swayman

D - E. Johnson - Petry

or 1\10?

terrible one time.

Bfan14

Jan 24, 2023
Definitely a homer here, but as far as I'm concerned, based on just this season Nuge and Hyman should both be joining McDavid as Oilers on this team.
RNH nope, there's simply better more proven options.

Hyman would certainly get a look though. They've always loved taking chemistry players for the stars and has an amazing player to do the dirty work

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

G - Oettinger - Gibson

D - Miller - Trouba
McDonagh - Faulk
Skjei - Pesce
Hanifin

F - Lee - Nelson - Boldy
Guentzel - Zegras - Rust
Beniers

Other "B" possibilities

G Quick Swayman

D - E. Johnson - Petry

or 1\10?

terrible one time.

G - Oettinger - Gibson

D - Miller - Trouba
McDonagh - Faulk
Skjei - Pesce
Hanifin

F - Lee - Nelson - Boldy
Guentzel - Zegras - Rust
Beniers

Other "B" possibilities

G Quick Swayman

D - E. Johnson - Petry

or 1\10?

terrible one time.
TBH, I have NO idea what you were getting at with this. Please help a dummy like me understand.

Reactions: sanscosm

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
TBH, I have NO idea what you were getting at with this. Please help a dummy like me understand.
I am essentially agreeing with Slater's comment but showing IMO how often an opponents "B" team would have success against a 2023 Canada "A" Team but not the 2010\2014 Team. I also chose to show a US B Team in detail for anyone to evaluate the team and critique based on actual players.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I am essentially agreeing with Slater's comment but showing IMO how often an opponents "B" team would have success against a 2023 Canada "A" Team but not the 2010\2014 Team. I also chose to show a US B Team in detail for anyone to evaluate the team and critique based on actual players.
Thanks!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
While this is the weakest Canadian team in my life, it would be a small favourite - the McDavid factor.

The team looks old - while I was always concerned about all the weak late "teen" drafts, I never thought they would have this kind of impact. Give it a few years and we will have a young strong team

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad