Who Would Make Canada's Roster If There Was Olympics This Year?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
MacKinnon - McDavid - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Tavares - Stamkos - Point
Dubois - Bedard - Kyrou
Horvat/Konecny

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Pietrangelo
Hamilton - Ekblad
Montour
Theodore
Chabot

Kuemper - (Gets start, given his international experience already with 2021 WC gold and also Cup winner)
Jarry
Murray/Hart

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Kuemper
Hart
Jarry

Towes - Makar
Theodore - Pietrangelo
Morrissey - Ekblad

Stamkos - McDavid - MacKinnon
Dubois - Point - Marner
Kyrou - Horvat - Konecny

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Why Bunting over Hyman? Having seen both of them in a Leafs uniform, there’s no doubt in my mind that Hyman is the better, more versatile player.

I agree. Hyman also has the fairly significant benefit of being attached to McDavid's hip. If the Olympics were held this year, I think he'd get a very close look from the management team.

One criteria set forth by Doug Armstrong that Hyman fails is that he has absolutely no history playing for Team Canada at any level. A hypothetical management team for a 2023 Olympic team may or may not care about that, but it appeared that Armstrong (and Yzerman before him) did care and that may be a knock against Hyman. Ultimately, I think there are simply better players available for Canada and I wouldn't personally have him on my roster, but I could see why someone would include him and I could get on board with it. Bunting is a hill too steep for me to climb, personally.

Reactions: ujju2

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Mackinnon McDavid Marner
Marchand Crosby Bergeron
Hyman Point Stone
Dubois Cozens Horvat
Danault
Scheifele

Toews Makar
Pelech Dobson
Morrissey Pietrangelo
Theodore
Montour

Hart
Jarry
Kuemper

I'm emphatically taking Cozens, Hyman, and Danault over Tavares, Barzal, and Stamkos. And Pelech and Dobson easily over Ekblad.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Don Cherry edition:

Michael Bunting - Nazem Kadri - Tom Wilson
Zach Hyman - Sam Bennett - Marcus Foligno
Tanner Jeannot - Adam Lowry - Michael Rasmussen
Mason Marchment - Brandon Tanev - Lawson Crouse

Darnell Nurse - Aaron Ekblad
Arber Xhehaj - Ben Chiarot
Jamie Oleksiak - MacKenzie Weegar

Zach Fucale

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Likely forgetting some guys but this would be a fun lineup. We need to develop more goalies, hopefully Cossa and Hart improve.

Crosby - Bergeron - Stone
PLD - McDavid - MacKinnon
Marner - Point - Stamkos
Huberdeau - Scheifele -

O'Reilly
Bedard

Toews - Makar
Morrissey - Ekblad
Theodore - Pietrangelo

Chabot

Jarry
Kuemper
Weaker than USA at forwards actually

Toews Makar
Morrisey Theodore
Paryako Ekbladh
Nurse

McKinnon McDavid Stone
Crosby Bergeon Marchand
Huberdeau Point Marner
PLD Barzal Hyman

OReily
Scheiflee
Bedard

Only bad goalies. What happend with canada in the cage?

Jarry
Kuemper

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Bunting.....Hyman.....lol

Hubs - McDavid - MacKinnon
Stamkos - Point - Marner
Kyrou - Barzal - Horvat
Dubois
Suzuki

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
Seems like a good way to narrow your talent pool to early-bloomers only.

True. It would be constraining if he stuck to what he said, but Armstrong himself selected Logan Couture to the 2016 World Cup team and Couture hadn't represented Canada since the U18's many years before (despite numerous opportunities to do so).

I think that line of thinking would impact someone like Huberdeau, to use an example, moreso than Hyman who was kind of a late bloomer.

Whatever the case may be, I'd like it if Canada moves on from Armstrong whenever the next best-on-best is held anyway (if ever). Sakic or BriseBois would be my preferred choices.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
I'd say that this is the weakest Canada has been in a very long time.
I'd go far as to say that Canadian goaltending is at its weakest point ever. There is no clear improvement on the horizon either.

Our defence is decent-to-good, but certainly not great nor a strength of this year's (hypothetical) team. It would look a lot worse without Makar, but I'd say that Canada's defence group for the 2006 Olympics was worse than this year's group. The fact that the most significant contributing factor to our embarrassing display in 2006 was the defence group is not lost on me, however. There does appear to be some good talent on the way, and Canada typically has someone unknown come up on their radar that can contribute for a tournament or two like a Vlasic or a Toews.

The forward group for 2023 would be good, historically, but really no better than that. Not as good as the teams of the Gretzky or Yzerman/Babcock eras, but much better than 1996 or 1998. Besides the obvious elite game-breaking talent (McDavid and MacKinnon), Crosby, Bergeron and Marchand are still performing at a high-enough level that they would presumably be strong contributors to our top 9, but losing them at some point soon would be a blow to the forward group. Goal scoring from the wing position isn't a strength like it normally is, and there are no clear wingers that would complement our best player (McDavid). There are some good offensive players that could easily slot into open roster spaces (Marner, Stamkos, Scheifele, Point, to name a few), some good defensive capability (O'Reilly, Stone) and some hot hands that could find their way onto the team depending on when it was picked (Konecny, Horvat, Dubois), but overall the forward group seems to lack a defining modus operandi like that of the Yzerman/Babcock years. Maybe we can muddle through with a "pass to the puck to McDavid and see what happens" approach?

So overall, I do agree with you.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd go far as to say that Canadian goaltending is at its weakest point ever. There is no clear improvement on the horizon either.

Our defence is decent-to-good, but certainly not great nor a strength of this year's (hypothetical) team. It would look a lot worse without Makar, but I'd say that Canada's defence group for the 2006 Olympics was worse than this year's group. The fact that the most significant contributing factor to our embarrassing display in 2006 was the defence group is not lost on me, however. There does appear to be some good talent on the way, and Canada typically has someone unknown come up on their radar that can contribute for a tournament or two like a Vlasic or a Toews.

The forward group for 2023 would be good, historically, but really no better than that. Not as good as the teams of the Gretzky or Yzerman/Babcock eras, but much better than 1996 or 1998. Besides the obvious elite game-breaking talent (McDavid and MacKinnon), Crosby, Bergeron and Marchand are still performing at a high-enough level that they would presumably be strong contributors to our top 9, but losing them at some point soon would be a blow to the forward group. Goal scoring from the wing position isn't a strength like it normally is, and there are no clear wingers that would complement our best player (McDavid). There are some good offensive players that could easily slot into open roster spaces (Marner, Stamkos, Scheifele, Point, to name a few), some good defensive capability (O'Reilly, Stone) and some hot hands that could find their way onto the team depending on when it was picked (Konecny, Horvat, Dubois), but overall the forward group seems to lack a defining modus operandi like that of the Yzerman/Babcock years. Maybe we can muddle through with a "pass to the puck to McDavid and see what happens" approach?

So overall, I do agree with you.
The goaltending is horrible, the defence is at best mediocre and I'd say the same of the forwards. Even the 2006 Canadian Olympic team had superior top end talent on defence if healthy (Niedermayer and Pronger near peak), better talent at forward despite how little they scored in that particular tournament, and far superior goaltending. Even most Canadian rosters that were not all that strong (1991 Canada Cup for example) would be drastically improved if everyone eligible was there. The best case scenario for Canada right now is not that good, even compared to what Canada could have iced just a few years ago in 2018 had NHLers been at the Olympics.

I'm not looking to harp on it in this thread so I won't bother again unless I have a roster of my own, but it does not look good.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
If Canada wants gold Nuge/Hyman/McDavid/Nurse/Skinner will be on the team

Nope. Categorically no.

We'll need to be able to shut down, that's what the Olympics are all about. Namely, we need to replace Toews basically. Danault is the best playoffs shutdown player in the NHL - against all the best players in the world, not sure why he's never considered here (Ask Crosby, ask Vegas, ask Matthews). Suzuki is rising in the same category. Point is already there. Score against these 3, good luck with that.

PLD - McDavid - Mackinnon
(Offensive starts, PP (with Crosby-Makar) - incredible speed, grit and power)
(2-way, we know, we know, I think they are getting old - but probably ok for 1 last round)
Huberdeau - Barzal - Marner
(Offensive starts - incredible speed, play-making creativity)
Danault - Point - Suzuki
(2-way, good f-ing luck scoring against them)

Cozens, Kyrou

Guys like Stamkos and Stone can no longer skate at this level, it's time for the "big Canadian team" meme to go, replaced by a high IQ, high-speed cerebral style.

Last edited:

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Might be missing someone obvious this is pretty much from memory, and some are reputation picks (especially D), not sure how good they are at this point

probably mix and match line combos for better chemistry too

I probably have some wingers on wrong sides
Hyman - McDavid - Stamkos
Kadri-Tavares -Marner
Konecny -Horvat - Seguin
Thomas-Kyrou-Scheifele

again might have people on wrong sides
Hamilton - Dunn
Ekblad-Doughty
Pietrangelo-Montour

Goaltending is tough, not much to choose from
Murray
Talbot
Blackwood

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Reigning cup winning goaler who out dueled Vasiklesviskey is Canadian. If Canada is weak so is everyone else.

Exactly, the doom and gloom is hilarious, some people in here even saying the forwards are "mediocre" which is just delusional :laugh: Canada would be a clear cut gold medal favourite if a tournament started right now.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This isn’t any random NHL team, team Canada is used to having 10+ hall of famers in their prime and this current edition doesn’t look like that

That's just a sort of recency bias, when you look back at the hypothetical 2023 team in the next 10 years many of them will have gone on to become hall of famers. As of 2023 Canada still has the better forward crop than anyone else can put out there so it's really a moot point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad